Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Increasing Raid1 filesystem size

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from trey.merkley: “while I know dist-upgrade is pretty stable ” Just for the record: With OMV you should always do an omv-release-upgrade (after creating an exact backup of your system of course)

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from trey.merkley: “Is there any configuration I'd need to do for the bulk of the data preservation benefits? ” I would do the following - if you stay at OMV3 (why not upgrading to OMV4?) then at least install backports kernel if you're still on kernel 3.x (btrfs code lives inside the kernel --> the higher the kernel version the better) - I would then transfer data after creating the btrfs mirror simply using rsync -a - Since you have plenty of free disk space then and most probably do onl…

• Quote from indragm: “so orange pi without the NAS expansion board is prone to under voltage crash as well? ” Quote from tkaiser: “You need a 'special' Micro USB PSU (e.g. the 'official PSU' sold by RPi Trading) to provide enough current and avoid voltage drops ” Micro USB to power boards is crap since it encourages users to do it wrongly. If you know about the problems you can avoid insufficient phone chargers and USB cables with power wires too tiny. But average users don't know and then run in…

• Pi-hole in doker network problem

tkaiser - - Plugins

Quote from geaves: “So I work on the KIS principle ” IMO no. @Nefertiti had the most simply setup one could imagine: he used a statically assigned IP address set by his router (basic DHCP functionality) and problems started once he tried to switch to a manual setup (with wrong MTU setting, maybe that was the culprit in the beginning -- don't know). I know you call this willy wanking (or insert any other insults here) but currently I try to get an idea what went wrong to improve OMV on ARM device…

tkaiser - - Plugins

Quote from geaves: “What does this have to do with this thread....nothing ” The purpose was informing you that things do work differently than you think (since you're a forum user spending a lot of time sharing your knowledge with others). If @Nefertiti would have been told to simply assign a static IP address in his router for his Pi a lot of confusion and lost time could have been avoided. Next wrong assumption is 'eth0' being always the name of the active network interface of an OMV box. This…

tkaiser - - Plugins

Quote from geaves: “your using the MAC address to fix the ip to a specific machine, this is not normal practise ” Of course it IS normal practice to use DHCP in the way it has been designed. You want to manage static IP addresses centrally and not by fiddling around with text files or config database entries on individual machines. @Nefertiti: can you provide output from 'armbianmonitor -u' when you're logged into OMV on your RPi via SSH? In case you use an OMV image older than 1 year this will …

• Quote from indragm: “means NAS performance wise, pine64 will still be better than raspi? even raspi3? ” If we're talking about Pine64+ (with Gigabit Ethernet) then yes. Unfortunately Pine folks in the beginning also did a small variant called Pine64 (without 'Plus') with just 512MB RAM and only Fast Ethernet. This one of course sucks compared to the Gigabit Ethernet equipped boards since with Fast Ethernet you're always bottlenecked by network (100 Mbits/sec max as on an Raspberry Pi 3) Micro US…

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from trey.merkley: “I haven't added anything new to the drives, so the old drive should have all of my data. Can I just copy from it? ” Sure. And 4GB is sufficient to serve hundreds of users regardless of the filesystem chosen (RAM in fileservers usually is used for filesystem buffers and caches which will speed up operation in some environments but usually not at home). You only need to care about memory constraints once you want to use deduplication (which is something I would not do wit…

• Quote from tkaiser: “I proposed to evaluate a 'NAS HAT' to FriendlyELEC's CEO and fortunately he seems to agree ” Good news. In the meantime FriendlyELEC picked up the suggestion, made a prototype and tested it already: forum.armbian.com/topic/8097-n…findComment&comment=62449

• Shared HDD suddenly goes missing

tkaiser - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “this is a forum of opinions only ” Sure, if you want to sabotage solving user problems, then that's the way to go. In case you're not able to understand why recommending fdisk in 2018 is BS nobody can't help you. But with some light Google-Fu you should be able to get an idea why a tool that has been made 35 years ago for disks of low capacities only supporting a partition table that is a joke nowadays (MBR) can't work -- or just read and try to understand @macom's answer...

tkaiser - - General

Quote from geaves: “the old ways presented the op with information he understood ” Well, /proc/partitions is sufficient to get an idea what the kernel recognizes as partition. Using outdated tools will make things even worse since now the tool itself can interfere due to its own limitations. Fdisk is from 1983, the only reason it still gets recommended is since tutorials 'on the Internet' are 99% copy&paste of horribly outdated stuff. But of course neither fdisk, gdisk or /proc/partitions provid…

• OMV fails starting the web server

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Ayv014: “let the installation beggin after it automatically reboots ” The installation finishes itself when Internet access is possible and then one automatic reboot happens.

• Quote from Joanetc: “Could not resolve host ” This is a DNS problem. Your OMV box either has no Internet access or in your home network DNS is messed up. This first problem in your network led to this mess: Quote from Joanetc: “Linux raspberrypi 4.9.80-v7+ ” This kernel version is outdated and is an indication that you didn't read the instructions on the download page. Better start from scratch and this time follow instructions.

• Pi user doesn't have owner permissions

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mariodelta: “I tried to login with the user pi on OMV ” Why should there exist a user called pi with a password the whole world knows? Just read what's written at the download page. There is of course no user pi unless you create one manually.

tkaiser - - General

Quote from indragm: “can we go back to why my external hdd suddenly has no partition first? ” Impossible without providing any information. In case you installed OMV on your device within the last 12 months the image is based on Armbian and by executing Source Code (1 line)support information will be uploaded to an online pasteboard service.

• Quote from indragm: “I wish I could use my pine64 since I have it anyway ” sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/ There is no difference in "NAS performance" between an Allwinner A64 thing like Pine64 and Allwinner H5 things like OPi Zero Plus or NanoPi NEO2. At least as long as you only connect 2 disks maximum. Main difference between A64 and H5 is count of real USB host ports (H5 has twice as much). But Pine64 is a support nightmare since using Micro USB for DC-IN (so with an…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from geaves: “So you would use parted -l /dev/sda but fdisk will work on drives up to 2TB...won't it? ” Tools from last century (like fdisk) often show their age and many of them simply are incompatible with the IT world that has evolved. So better rely not on tools but what the kernel sees: Source Code (2 lines)

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “What in your case speaks for Orange Pi Zero? ” Orange Pi Zero Plus is something different (and a good choice for an inexpensive NAS board capable of up to 40 MB/s NAS performance with short write bursts of up to 80 MB/s)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from indragm: “I consider upgrading but worried about the power consumption ” There are way better ARM boards available than the RPi (which is just a horrible choice for the NAS use case): Enough of Rpi, now what?

• Monitor several OMV servers

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Adoby: “When the HC2s are under heavy utilization, sustained copying of GBs or even TBs, I worry about CPU and HDD temperatures ” My take on this: Test worst case conditions first, then never care again. The most interesting thing with HC2 is IMO whether contact area between the Exynos SoC and the heatsink is sufficient. One of my HC2 showed high temperatures. Shutting down, gently massaging the PCB (and the thermal compound below) and I had lower temps (less than 10°C IIRC) Quote fro…