Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “ Rockstor use BTRFS they used it from the get go, it's still alive but their latest blog posts are Nov 17 ” And just like mdadm RAID, BTRFS may work well, as long as it's on an UPS (where it won't lose sync of it's transactions). Having to have transaction ID's clean as whistle, defeats the entire concept of "Copy on Write" where a file change is copied complete to the hard drive before the older version is deleted. Given this behavior, even is there's a power outage, either …

• Creating i386 images

flmaxey - - General

I recently did a 32 bit OMV install in the following manner: I installed Debian 9 using the "net install" image. When the selections for Debian software came up, I added the SSH server, and removed the desktop, print server, and the other software add-on's. (Being able to SSH into the completed Debian install, using PuTTY, makes the following a lot easier.) Then I used the scripts from the post @macom reference to install OMV4. With SSH enabled and being able to get on the command line with PuTT…

• That's a huge pool, so I guess you wouldn't want to hear anything about restoring from backup? (Just kidding ) ___________________________________________________________________ On the E-mails, I simply unchecked the boxes under System, Notification, Notifications Tab, System. The rational behind that decision was the sporadic nuisance E-mails, along with what was being monitored. If something in the system itself is critical, (software or hardware) it's unlikely that an E-mail would give enoug…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “Pants!! But thanks for heads up, I just thought that might be a better option with your reference V5 awhile back, I'll just stick with EXT4 then. ” I went into it (BTRFS) with an open mind. When a bit of file corruption was detected during a scrub, way back, I thought OK! Now, I'll find which files are corrupted, those that didn't match their check sums, and replace them from the source. That would have been as simple as deleting them locally, where the next Rsync job would r…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “ Quote from flmaxey: “I mentioned the possibility to the wife, about getting a 3D printer to toy around with this winter. ” Yes, but did she agree, mine would say "What do you need that for" to which my reply would be to extol the endless possibilities of 3D printing stuff for school use.....not mentioning that it could be used for more practical applications ” I already have "wife buy in". When she found out that I could make her all sorts of knitting paraphernalia, organiza…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

So you're not going to have to butcher your case... Darn it! (Just kidding.) Along a related line, I mentioned the possibility to the wife, about getting a 3D printer to toy around with this winter. It would be pretty cool to "make" a fan mount, complete with an integrated plastic duct! On thingiverse, they even have drive cages and all sorts of "stuff" for PC's. With a 3D printer, mod'ing possibilities are endless. ___________________ The Good News: The EX-470 has been up for a week, with no is…

• Quote from trapexit: “Policies are used at the point the request is made. mergerfs doesn't actively move data around and that's very purposeful. Best to leave such complicated tasks to the user. If your drives are filling in ways you don't want its likely you chose the wrong policy. But tools like mergerfs.balance can help but should only be used if you don't care where data goes as I never made its algo any more complicated than move files from the fullest drives to the least fullest. ” That's …

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “ The reason I'm looking toward that small a mesh again it's from the homeservershow site, some have used mesh in between the double skin door, acts as a dust trap without compromising air flow greatly. ” Hum,,, maybe I should build a server with cardboard and duct tape, and post it there! (homeservershow.com)

• How Rebuilt my old ZFS Pool

flmaxey - - General

Quote from hoppel118: “ @flmaxey What do you think about this result? ” The zpool history doesn't show anything as being deleted. (That's obvious.) While it's speculation, something must have happened when the OMV2.X installation crashed. Data disks usually survive an operating system crash, but that's not always the case. While I'd like to be able to suggest something else, I'd have to agree with you - I think the pool is empty. _________________________________________________ @.H. My sincere …

• Quote from syrusstk: “Did a complete overhaul of the omv-theme menu, themes and UI plugins are grouped in their own categories with a different selection menu. /----/ Tagging people that may be interested of this update @TechnoDadLife @flmaxey @Adoby ” It works as advertised. Being able to label a server in the Top Banner is really useful - a designation greatly reduces the chance of making a mistake. Thanks! (I hope you'll maintain this mod' on Git Hub for awhile.)

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “Well at least you found the problem...and I bet you were thinking "I'm going to have to replace this" Regarding my old server yes it was reliable, the only problem I had was networking, but it turned out to be the cable. S'funny I think I remember somewhere in this thread about a 'wind tunnel' using cardboard and duck tape ” Part of the way of thinking in the old job was instant analysis. Identify the problem. Then, rather than get wrapped up in details, bypass, fix, or repla…

• How Rebuilt my old ZFS Pool

flmaxey - - General

Quote from hoppel118: “Hey @flmaxey thanks for coming in. My assumption and my hope was/is, that cap used is 0%, because there is no mounted zfs filesystem. But I am not sure how „zpool list“ calculates the values (with or without mounted filesystems). For me it still seems that there is no filesystem mounted because the root mount point „/mnt“ is not empty. What do you think about this? Thanks and regards Hoppel ” I think your history command, zpool history, will reveal what happened. We'll see…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

I think this might have been a networking problem! The move to another switch and a good cable, and everything appears to be OK. That would explain the weird, extended, ping times and why there was nothing in the logs. A full SNAPRAID SYNC job went fine. (About 3 hours.)

• Quote from JunkKnight: “I'm using Existing Folder, Most Free Space. I'll try out mc though, thanks. Although I'm still kind of confused on what I'm supposed to be doing to get this fixed, it sounds like I have to manually move the files? so no automatic balancing like drivepool has? ” "No". The answer to automatic balancing is "No". The policy you choose doesn't work that way. For example; "Existing Folder - Most Free Space" would do the following if you copied the folder "Videos" onto it: 1. Un…

• I'd use mc to do the move (Midnight Commander). On the CLI: apt-get install mc then mc If you're that close on one of your drives you might want to consider using a new policy; Create Policy: Most Free Space (It sounds like you may be using this already.)

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Something is still going on with the EX470. It freezes during SNAPRAID Sync attempts. I doesn't get through one before losing contact with the network. (Again, without the VGA cable permanently attached, there's guess work.) To insure that there isn't a heat problem, I set up a virtual wind tunnel. That's a high volume AC FAN with cardboard duct to focus air flow into a 5" x 1.5" slot, blowing directly through the front grill, over the CPU and Chip Set heat sinks. forum.openmediavault.org/index……

• Well, note that using an R-PI with more than one disk would be taking a serious risk. The R-PI is in it's own category, due to it's poor combined USB/Ethernet interface. However, other better performing SBC's can be used with more than one disk. A general rule of thumb is, don't attach more disks than the SBC has in ports and don't expect an SBC to power up more than one 2.5" spinning disk through the USB interface. ______________________________________________________________________________ Y…

• Quote from geaves: “Quote from flmaxey: “The intent of the guide is to nail down some network and security parameters, to prevent M$ from sending out updates that may make mapped drives disappear. (Like nailing down the SMB2 protocol which works fine for home LAN users.)Also, some of those settings bypass network and security tweaks (they would call them "enhancements") that OEM resellers set in Windows 10 installs. ” Ok I'll go sit in the corner... ” Man,, I didn't mean it like that! smile.png …

• Quote from macom: “1. I had problems with the credentials until I added the registry entry, 2. And the shares just won't show up in the file explorer in network. ” 1. So, just to be clear, the creation of the SMB registry keys is what fixed it for you? 2. Unfortunately, I don't think anything can be done about that. The only seemingly reliable fix for network discovery is to have a Windows XP machine boot up first, it must also act as the master browser, and there are a couple other details. (Ob…

• Quote from ywgf88: “but I don't have backup image,where can I find the backup file? please ” If you have to rebuild (sorry if you do), take a look at this guide. It will show you how install OMV to a USB boot drive and how to clone the drive. With at least two working copies of your boot drive, available at all times, it's unlikely that you'd ever have to rebuild again.