Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 231.

• Access to shared folder from remote

jollyrogr - - General

What kind of access are you looking for? Using a VPN will allow you the same functionality as if you were at home. Setup the VPN on the router, and many routers have the ability to offer DDNS so you don't have to worry about IP changes. Alternatively, the most simple solution for basic file access is to use FTP and open a port for it on your firewall. SSH could (should) be used to prevent anyone snooping on your file transfers. DDNS could be employed as before for access to the FTP server.

• Quote from JohnStiles: “Firewall on the router and firewall on the machine with omv. Firewall on your desktop too. Wherever it is possible and it makes sense, there should be a firewall on every machine. The only difference is the type of traffic policy for an individual machine that can be different from each other. ” This seems rather excessive and would only cause headaches. To each their own.

• Definitely setup your firewall on the router and have OMV behind the firewall.

• using spaces in Linux will give you headaches from time to time

• Use the reset permissions plugin available from the omv extras repo. Very handy tool. I've also used chown/chmod

• I've had this happen when transferring files on the server using SSH. If you move the files with Samba, you won't have this issue.

• *UPDATE DOCKER Pi-HOLE*

jollyrogr - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “I run pi-hole on an old mac mini running Ubuntu 18. Much faster and more stable than an RPi that I initially tried. ” Which RPi were you using? Can't imagine Pi-hole needs much in the way of resources. There are other more powerful SBC's available now that might work better...

jollyrogr - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “So ARM architectures run in Virtualbox VM's? Is that a recent development? I'll have to check that out. ” It's not ARM. It's a lightweight Debian based on x86_64. dietpi.com Click on download and then PC/VM and they have a virtualbox VM that you can download and run. No need to install. They have a built-in software installer that you can use to install PI-hole once your VM is running.

jollyrogr - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “Why would anyone use an add-on outside of a Docker? ” I installed pi-hole on a dietpi VM running in virtualbox. I can't imagine a better way to do it other than using an actual raspberry PI. The only downside to having it run in a VM is that no one on my network has DNS if the server is down. My server is rarely down, but for instance if I had a power outage, I could run my modem, router, and rpi on the UPS for a very very long time.

• raid5 disk failure.

jollyrogr - - RAID

Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from JimT: “Is this the expected behavior? ” Sorry, I can't answer this since of course I do NOT use RAID-5 any more for a decade or even longer (single redundancy and large disks --> useless) IMO you should ask yourself why you're playing RAID and if the answer is data protection immediately stop and start to think about backup (that's data protection) and not availability or 'business continuity' (that's all what RAID is about) ” I don't think we need to jump on him …

• Port Forward

jollyrogr - - Network

Please don't. Use a VPN if you need to access your server from outside your network.

• kernel errors?

jollyrogr - - General

i did run smart checks. do you think that is the reason for the errors?

• kernel errors?

jollyrogr - - General

Periodically I see a whole mess of errors in my syslog. Here's a small sample. Is there a potential hardware issue? Source Code (80 lines)SAS HBA is a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 on an Asrock H270M-ITX mobo. Haven't noticed any system stability issues or any issues whatsoever. Thanks Edit to add: Linux omv 4.9.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.2-2~bpo8+1 (2017-01-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Which version of omv are you running? I thought I remember reading there was issues with VB on omv4.

• Been awhile since I've installed VB and if I remember correctly the process wasn't without issue. I believe I installed using the plugin installer on the webui. In your case, I would try installing the unmet dependencies?

• SUN RAID Card

jollyrogr - - General

Sun microsystems? Haven't heard their name in awhile. Why pay for RAID if you don't need it? I'm running a supermicro SAS HBA, and it works ok. If I had to replace it I would go with one of the LSI cards that are more ubiquitous.

• That stinks. That's a pretty old cpu/mobo combination anyway. Like you said, you could upgrade and get more performance while using less power. In the meantime is there a bios update available?

• Quote from alexandre.dulche: “ Current limitations/problems : BIOS loses settings after power loss (motherboard bug, battery is ok) ” You're not using a UPS?

• Server 2003. Just this.

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

jollyrogr - - Plugins

You would need to edit the diff script. Line 422 sends all output of the sync command to a variable and elsewhere in the script that output is included in the email. Source Code (1 line) Line 444 includes all the scrub output. Source Code (1 line)