Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from edterbak: “I have installed ZFS plugin. Nothing else for now. When selecting ZFS, the option [Import Pool] is clickable. Is this the first thing to try? (after backup ofcourse) ” Absolutely not. Since you don't use ZFS and your data is on Snapraid you clearly neither want the ZFS plugin installed nor start to let the plugin slaughter your data. Please reread the first answers. You're suffering from ZFS signatures present on your disks for whatever reason which prevent mounting them no…

• Quote from hoppel118: “In my opinion the cpu and the memory is not the problem ” Sure, it's the concept of average load in general on Linux: brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html In other words there is no problem: Simply ignore the notifications and if you want to find out why 'average load' is high I suggest installing sysstat package and then running 'iostat 60' in parallel next time the scrub runs.

• Well, then it seems you suffer from zfs signatures on your drives for whatever reasons you need to get rid off now (see link in first answer in this thread). I would do a forum search for 'wipefs zfs' and always clone the disk prior to play with wipefs.

• Quote from edterbak: “I am not aware that I was using zfs ” Just to be sure: You're not using ZFS right now, you don't want to use it right now and your whole issue is you having a Snapraid setup that became inaccessible now after updating to OMV4 with all your data on three Snapraid disks without an external backup?

• Quote from edterbak: “I assume backup/clone from within OMV is out of the question. (is this assumption correct?) ” Nope. You can clone any block device without the need to mount partitions on it. You can do this within Linux (OMV) with tools like ddrescue or dcfldd for example. Or most probably also in Windows using Clonezilla (no idea, neither use Windows nor Clonezilla). The important part is cloning the disk and not individual partitions to be safe. I would do a web search for 'forensic disk…

• Time machine backup on SMB share

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from geaves: “could that write up be used in the same way but for OMV? Or is there something within that process that would fail. ” Unfortunately the whole write up is a fail since it only tries to cope with creating backups (using the pretty unreliable tmutil setdestination method). This tutorial totally ignores two things: - why we do backup: to be able to (do a full) restore. This won't work with such a hack since the share is not announced automagically in the network. So once your Mac…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from geaves: “in that context simply copying his 'working files' would be sufficient and work on something like omv ” If that user is running macOS the better idea is to switch on TM on both client and OMV server and use TimeMachine since TM as every real backup solution creates versions that are easily accessible later. Simply copying stuff over usually results in no older file versions being preserved which can be a big problem if you realize an accidental change too late: Start at 7:40 …

• Quote from edterbak: “Otherwise I risk loosing all my documents, photos and videos of my family. ... Better be safe ” Better do backup in the future! For now it seems you are running into a problem with remaining ZFS signatures now with Debian 9 preventing the disks to be mounted, see for example here: migration OMV 2.x to omv 4.x Since next steps seem to be dangerous I would start to do backups now, acquire at least one other large disk and clone each of the existing disks to this new disk befo…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from geaves: “So the short answer is to use AFP until omv incorporates samba 4.8 ” Well, the required features have been integrated into Samba 4.8 but usually for everything to work flawlessly it needs another (few) version increments. That's why I talked about 4.9 or 4.10 above (no idea when these Samba versions will be part of Debian which is important since OMV relies on upstream Debian packages here. Also no idea whether Debian's Samba maintainers will build Samba with Avahi integratio…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from merula: “AFP plugin does not work either ” This is my MacBook Pro running High Sierra: Source Code (19 lines) The 2 AFP shares are provided by Netatalk (on OMV 4): Source Code (32 lines) Works as expected, restore and disaster recovery included. Quote from geaves: “I found this whilst the information is mac/windows based the principle should be same ” Bad advise since putting a SparseBundle somewhere is the irrelevant part. You do backup for a reason and that's restore and disaster re…

• In the meantime the cute RK3399 based NanoPi NEO4 is available: friendlyarm.com/index.php?rout…ct&path=69&product_id=241 (please be aware that the low price is somewhat misleading since you need heatsink, the USB-C cable, PSU and maybe also the 'German Plug Adapter' unless you really know what you do!) I already had the chance to review the board and as usual with RK3399 both network and storage performance is excellent: github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowle…_Review_of_NanoPi_NEO4.md (and if we get a s…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from ajaja: “My MacBook Pro from 2015 runs the current Mac OS, for nearly three years I have not been able to get a truly usable TimeMachine backup to/from my OMV (3.x 4.x) server ” Then you need to diagnose your problem. With 'mobile' clients (MacBook Pro) that's usually interrupting a running backup and not reconnecting the Mac back to the TimeMachine server within the so called 'reconnect timeout' (defaults AFAIK to 24 hours). My take on this is using snapshot ready filesystems on the O…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from ajaja: “I think the need is for OMV to support a more modern SMB service ” No, there is no 'need' for this now since TimeMachine over AFP still works. And OMV relies on the underlying Debian packages (and at Debian everything follows the 'outdated as hell' AKA 'stable' mantra) so unless there is a newer Samba in Debian (backports) OMV won't be able to use newer Samba features.

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from ajaja: “It has been my hope, and I suspect other's as well, that OMV4 would support TimeMachine ” OMV 4 just as OMV 3 already supports TimeMachine (AFP/Netatalk). APFS volumes can be backed up flawlessly to TimeMachine AFP shares still using the anachronistic HFS+ SparseBundles. No need for SMB here whatsoever.

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from merula: “I have OMV version 4.1.12 ” ...which relies on Debian 9 which uses Samba Version 4.5.12-Debian. Don't expect TimeMachine over SMB with Samba to work flawlessly before Samba 4.9 (maybe 4.10). In the meantime simply use AFP/Netatalk.

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from ajaja: “"Any Time Machine share points must be shared over SMB instead of AFP." ” This (and the other Apple link) talk about shares residing on - a Mac running macOS - an APFS filesystem OMV neither runs on macOS nor can cope with APFS so simply use AFP/Netatalk shares for TimeMachine as in the past. Once OMV5 is ready we can talk again about SMB shares for TimeMachine.

• Enough of Rpi, now what?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from pabgan: “Today I buy two HC-2 with one 2TB HDD each one and set them up in RAID-1. My thought here was that in this way I will hardly lose data ” Totally wrong assumption and as already explained RAID across multiple server is not possible anyway (for stuff like that you need cluster filesystems) RAID is not backup! It provides ZERO data protection mechanisms. It's only about availability (business continuity). If you care about your data you don't need availability but instead data i…

• Mount existing ext4 drive

tkaiser - - General

Quote from rofe: “But does this also mean that I can put any ext4 disk in my OVM, mount it and share it's data without the need for importing or initialize it in any way? ” You can do it that way. But if you have a mismatch between client and server OS (e.g. your client OS being Windows and your server OS in this case being Linux) you'll run into troubles as soon as you start to use filename encodings that aren't true ASCII from 50 years ago or the client starts to use file metadata.

• Quote from Joe_PS: “should I go for a newer OMV ” Of course. Jessie is not supported any more by Debian. The LTS team (long term support) doesn't care about the arm64 architecture so all you can do is to immediately upgrade to OMV4 by issuing omv-release-upgrade on the command line. Everything will be fine again afterwards.

• Raid 5 Lost and cant rebuild!!

tkaiser - - RAID

'RAID is not backup' -- are you familiar with this simple fact? Do you have a backup?