Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quote from tobefond: “Would you recomment to setup the system again? ” As long as you don't want to use Wi-Fi... nope. And it's pretty easy to switch hardware support as explained above. But then you also want to purge the u-boot and DT packages and install those for the T4 instead.

• Build a low-power NAS with a SBC

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Njuilpo: “What about heat dispersion? Do you have any idea about the differences between the several ones sold by Pine64 ” The huger the better: github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowledge The 'NAS case' can accommodate 4 HDD but with Pine's offerings you can only use 2 at the same time (look at the offered SATA cable). If you want to add a Marvell and you're after performance then choose an 9235 (using 2 PCIe lanes). And wrt powering of the disks you're partially on your own.

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

tkaiser - - General

Quote from hanscie: “I have a Odroid C1+ and currently happy with OMV3 on it. I would like to have OMV4 ” This ODROID is stuck on an outdated kernel so no recent Debian and therefore also no recent OMV: sourceforge.net/projects/openm…lt/files/Odroid%20images/

• Quote from Earthlings: “Don't ask why, just answer the question ” With this attitude you clearly seek for paid consultancy. Have a nice live.

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Njuilpo: “I tried to found the link to a good PCI-E to SATA adapter you post somewhere in a forum, but couldn't find it again, could you please post it here? ” The ASM1061 is IMO doing fine for spinning rust (HDDs) even if it only utilizes a single PCIe lane so would bottleneck attached SSDs. I have one mPCIe card with an ASM1061 and this one is showing constant errors but I guess it's due to the SATA connectors on this card being of very poor quality. If you want to spend more or att…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Njuilpo: “Those are user-made custom builds? Once installed, will it be a problem to upgrade them? ” No problems. Debian updates are fetched from upstream Debian repos, OMV upgrades from there and the only thing that's device specific (kernel and bootloader support) are coming from ayufan's repo hosted on Github. So even if ayufan disappears completely all that happens is you not getting any kernel updates any more (which is more or less usual situation everywhere on SBC if it's not R…

• New to OMV...

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from razvanrudy: “Maybe a noob question but how do you use this 5 ( or the 4 with OMV) ? ” 'adoby hc2 site:forum.openmediavault.org'

• New to OMV...

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from razvanrudy: “What about transcoding ( I know this is one of the most power hungry operation) ” The ARM SoCs all have powerful dedicated video engines (since these platforms are designed for exactly this use case -- encoding and decoding video efficiently with HW acceleration. It makes absolutely no sense at all to run such stuff on the CPU cores as long as you're not mastering video) The problem is usually the software stack to be able to benefit from these video engines. At the time …

• Time machine backup on SMB share

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from ajaja: “TimeMachine now sort of works ” Apple invented an own AFP call for TimeMachine back at 10.5 times and did the same with SMB defining a new SMB Extensions for the simple reason to sync data to disk without having layers in between that do not do this (keep data cached). I would never use any FUSE based filesystem for my TM shares. Never! My choices are either ZFS or btrfs since those CoW filesystems allow for snapshot creation so you can always revert back to older snapshots if…

• Quote from edterbak: “I have installed ZFS plugin. Nothing else for now. When selecting ZFS, the option [Import Pool] is clickable. Is this the first thing to try? (after backup ofcourse) ” Absolutely not. Since you don't use ZFS and your data is on Snapraid you clearly neither want the ZFS plugin installed nor start to let the plugin slaughter your data. Please reread the first answers. You're suffering from ZFS signatures present on your disks for whatever reason which prevent mounting them no…

• Quote from hoppel118: “In my opinion the cpu and the memory is not the problem ” Sure, it's the concept of average load in general on Linux: brendangregg.com/blog/2017-08-08/linux-load-averages.html In other words there is no problem: Simply ignore the notifications and if you want to find out why 'average load' is high I suggest installing sysstat package and then running 'iostat 60' in parallel next time the scrub runs.

• Well, then it seems you suffer from zfs signatures on your drives for whatever reasons you need to get rid off now (see link in first answer in this thread). I would do a forum search for 'wipefs zfs' and always clone the disk prior to play with wipefs.

• Quote from edterbak: “I am not aware that I was using zfs ” Just to be sure: You're not using ZFS right now, you don't want to use it right now and your whole issue is you having a Snapraid setup that became inaccessible now after updating to OMV4 with all your data on three Snapraid disks without an external backup?

• Quote from edterbak: “I assume backup/clone from within OMV is out of the question. (is this assumption correct?) ” Nope. You can clone any block device without the need to mount partitions on it. You can do this within Linux (OMV) with tools like ddrescue or dcfldd for example. Or most probably also in Windows using Clonezilla (no idea, neither use Windows nor Clonezilla). The important part is cloning the disk and not individual partitions to be safe. I would do a web search for 'forensic disk…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from geaves: “could that write up be used in the same way but for OMV? Or is there something within that process that would fail. ” Unfortunately the whole write up is a fail since it only tries to cope with creating backups (using the pretty unreliable tmutil setdestination method). This tutorial totally ignores two things: - why we do backup: to be able to (do a full) restore. This won't work with such a hack since the share is not announced automagically in the network. So once your Mac…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from geaves: “in that context simply copying his 'working files' would be sufficient and work on something like omv ” If that user is running macOS the better idea is to switch on TM on both client and OMV server and use TimeMachine since TM as every real backup solution creates versions that are easily accessible later. Simply copying stuff over usually results in no older file versions being preserved which can be a big problem if you realize an accidental change too late: Start at 7:40 …

• Quote from edterbak: “Otherwise I risk loosing all my documents, photos and videos of my family. ... Better be safe ” Better do backup in the future! For now it seems you are running into a problem with remaining ZFS signatures now with Debian 9 preventing the disks to be mounted, see for example here: migration OMV 2.x to omv 4.x Since next steps seem to be dangerous I would start to do backups now, acquire at least one other large disk and clone each of the existing disks to this new disk befo…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from geaves: “So the short answer is to use AFP until omv incorporates samba 4.8 ” Well, the required features have been integrated into Samba 4.8 but usually for everything to work flawlessly it needs another (few) version increments. That's why I talked about 4.9 or 4.10 above (no idea when these Samba versions will be part of Debian which is important since OMV relies on upstream Debian packages here. Also no idea whether Debian's Samba maintainers will build Samba with Avahi integratio…

tkaiser - - CIFS/SMB

Quote from merula: “AFP plugin does not work either ” This is my MacBook Pro running High Sierra: Source Code (19 lines) The 2 AFP shares are provided by Netatalk (on OMV 4): Source Code (32 lines) Works as expected, restore and disaster recovery included. Quote from geaves: “I found this whilst the information is mac/windows based the principle should be same ” Bad advise since putting a SparseBundle somewhere is the irrelevant part. You do backup for a reason and that's restore and disaster re…

• In the meantime the cute RK3399 based NanoPi NEO4 is available: friendlyarm.com/index.php?rout…ct&path=69&product_id=241 (please be aware that the low price is somewhat misleading since you need heatsink, the USB-C cable, PSU and maybe also the 'German Plug Adapter' unless you really know what you do!) I already had the chance to review the board and as usual with RK3399 both network and storage performance is excellent: github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowle…_Review_of_NanoPi_NEO4.md (and if we get a s…