Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 91.

• UPDATE: I have connected the NAS via cable... It's simply a whole other world... Fishing wires is extremely tricky in my apartment, so I decided to just run a wire in the corner of the wall and decide to overlook it The difference is really amazing. The bottleneck was definitely this useless ethernet over power thing... What a waste of money. I'm now getting a read/write speed of around 50MB/s using helios lan test. Thank you for everyone that helped me!

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from hekmatk: “00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04) 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06) ” You have 2 NICs in your system. A good Intel one onboard and an inferior RealTek added later. No idea why you and others waste time with the RealTek. Best idea is to remove it from your box immediately and start to analyze the problem yo…

• Quote from gderf: “Quote from hekmatk: “Quote from gderf: “I run iperf between machines. Best I can do on wired 1GB LAN is 942mbps. I can't complain. ” Yes... It is a slow setup and I'm pretty sure now it is only ONE bottleneck which is the freaking tp link ethernet over electricity...As we speak, I have ordered from amazon 50feet cat 6 shielded wire with a wire fisher :') I'm going to give this a try... If by some miracle I'm able to run a cable in the wall without being evicted then I really t…

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Quote from hekmatk: “Opinion? ” Slow... Your PC-wifi-router-ETHPowerline-NAS. If you have such a situation, it is a rough ride. Ping with 500 packages the first hop. These toys from TPLINK have some ssh/web? Can you ping them? You need to find a bottleneck. But here can be up to two or three ... You currently have such a crippled fast ethernet theoretically ... ” Quote from gderf: “I run iperf between machines. Best I can do on wired 1GB LAN is 942mbps. I can't complain. ” …

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Quote from hekmatk: “yep, just figured that one out... sorry. ” Set 10Gb and several passes. This will give you an idea of the general speed / efficiency of your osx<----->omv uplink ” I did the gigabit rather than the 10gb because it would take forever otherwise. I did 2 passes. Opinion?

• Quote from gderf: “I have no direct experience with ethernet over powerline. Wireless can be very touchy. In my place it is impossible to have a wireless connection between the first and second floors as the first floor ceiling is six inches of concrete poured over corrugated steel. I had to do a difficult ethernet pull between floors and run with with WAPs on each floor. Good luck to you with whatever you do. ” Yeah I'm not getting into wireless. I would love to have an ethernet pull but it is …

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Quote from hekmatk: “Thanks, I just downloaded it. Are you sure this tests the wifi? Because it jut created bunch of files on my desktop and measure how well this process went... ” Have you chosen a network drive? SMB NFS AFP? ” yep, just figured that one out... sorry.

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Quote from hekmatk: “Thank you for the suggestion. Is Helios an interface that can be installed on openmediavault or on my mac? ” helios.de/web/EN/products/LanTest.html HELIOS LanTest can be downloaded via HELIOS WebShare at: Server: webshare.helios.de User name: tools Password: tools There is a MAC and Win version ” Thanks, I just downloaded it. Are you sure this tests the wifi? Because it jut created bunch of files on my desktop and measure how well this process went... E…

• Quote from gderf: “Quote from hekmatk: “Quote from gderf: “Run these for some rough ideas about your adapters: cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed cat /sys/class/net/enp3s0/speed As for using the router to DHCP assign IPs, the problem there is that both the cards need to be in different networks and that can't be accomplished via DHCP from a single router. ” root@Hekmat-Server:~# cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed1000 Please tell me this means my card is fast enough and don't need to be replaced? ” That's …

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Quote from gderf: “As for using the router to DHCP assign IPs, the problem there is that both the cards need to be in different networks and that can't be accomplished via DHCP from a single router. ” He does not use both cards at the same time. It's just about the active interface as a gateway. I have many machines with two cards within one subnet ... Unless I missed something? ” You are correct. I do not use both together.

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “Quote from hekmatk: “I see your point about the 2 of them having the same IP address...Honestly I don't think I'm willing to take the risk. The reason I'm doing this was HOPING that my original ethernet is too old and that "updating" it would give me faster transfers. But I'm realizing that I should just appreciate what I have meaning a stable functional system and I should probably not mess it up. Would there be a way to measure the transfer speed of a file? I would like t…

• Quote from gderf: “Run these for some rough ideas about your adapters: cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed cat /sys/class/net/enp3s0/speed As for using the router to DHCP assign IPs, the problem there is that both the cards need to be in different networks and that can't be accomplished via DHCP from a single router. ” root@Hekmat-Server:~# cat /sys/class/net/eno1/speed 1000 Please tell me this means my card is fast enough and don't need to be replaced?

• Quote from gderf: “Don't give up so fast. Do you have a keyboard and monitor available just in case? ” I do have a keyboard but I do NOT have a monitor, this is why I'm scared of messing it up. I had to borrow a friend's TV when I set it up and really don't want to do that again This is why I'm asking if there's a way to assess the transfer speed. Because after all, I have no idea where the bottleneck is. 1. The disks are all 5400RPM, but this should be fine. 2. The router: I got a nighthawk X6 …

• Quote from gderf: “If you look at the ifconfig output you'll see that both ethernet adapters have the same IP address. This can't work. You might try running omv-firstaid and try configuring interfaces there. You really want the old one deleted or disabled. But that can be a lockout trap if you are headless and something goes wrong. ” I see your point about the 2 of them having the same IP address... Honestly I don't think I'm willing to take the risk. The reason I'm doing this was HOPING that m…

• Quote from gderf: “OK, enp3s0 is your new adapter. Can you disable the on board adapter in the BIOS and reboot? ” Unfrotunately, I don' t think I can, because my NAS is running headless. What I did is go to the network interface and add a new ethernet interface with enp3s0. Then I turned off the NAS, plugged the ethernet cable in the new adapter and booted up. However I'm not able to access openmediavault. My router tells me there's a wired device on 192.168.1.17 but it doesn't show the device n…

• Quote from gderf: “Not so fast. Run ifconfig and see if the adapter has been picked up. ” this is ifconfig: eno1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>mtu 1500 inet 192.168.1.3netmask 255.255.255.0broadcast 192.168.1.255 ether b8:ca:3a:b0:54:98txqueuelen 1000(Ethernet) RX packets 24816bytes 26837051 (25.5 MiB) RX errors 0dropped 0overruns 0frame 0 TX packets 10431bytes 2491099 (2.3 MiB) TX errors 0dropped 0 overruns 0carrier 0collisions 0 device interrupt 20memory 0xf7e00000-f7e20000 enp3s0…

• Quote from gderf: “Wrong........... Fix the first two uncommented lines by adding non-free ” Ok it's updating now! I'm guessing this will take couplet minutes. After this finishes, I just try to plug my ethernet cable into the new adapter, right?

• Quote from gderf: “apt-get install r8168-dkms will NOT work unless you have enabled the non-free repo and run apt-get update. Have you done those? ” I believe so. This is what my sources.list shows: # # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9 _Stretch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20180330-19:01]/ stretch contrib main non-free #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9 _Stretch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20180330-19:01]/ stretch contrib main non-free deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ …

• Quote from Mr.Grape: “apt-get install r8168-dkms ” I got this: root@Hekmat-Server:~# apt-get install r8168-dkms Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E: Unable to locate package r8168-dkms Quote from gderf: “I would go here and try the automatic way for debian: unixblogger.com/how-to-get-you…68-working-updated-guide/ Cross your fingers too. ” The same error message for the automatic way... Ay suggestion? Does it look like a dead-end?

• Quote from gderf: “My bad I didn't see the tag. Your kernel is late enough that it should have the driver built in. Run this and post the result: ifconfig ” It's ok Here's the result from tthe ifconfig: eno1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>mtu 1500 inet 192.168.1.3netmask 255.255.255.0broadcast 192.168.1.255 ether b8:ca:3a:b0:54:98txqueuelen 1000(Ethernet) RX packets 15820bytes 5156140 (4.9 MiB) RX errors 0dropped 60overruns 0frame 0 TX packets 12972bytes 8710060 (8.3 MiB) TX errors 0…