Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New to OMV...

flmaxey - - My NAS Build

First, try installing PuTTY so you can SSH into your server, from a client, to get on the command line. To use PuTTY, under Services, SSH, you'll have to enable Permit Root Login. (That should help with the monitor problem.) There's no OMV plugin for fan speed. You could try lm-sensors, to look at temp's on the command line. (Search on Debian and lm-sensors to install it, and set it up.) There may be something out there for controlling Debian chassis fans. If there is, I'm not aware of it. I'd c…

• With your pool being raidz, your parallel read/write throughput is much higher than my little mirror (effectively one disk). While it's obviously not an apples to apples comparison, this is what my scrubs look like. OM4 (kernel 4.18.0), 64 bit Atom, 4GB of ram, ZOL v0.7.11-1) 1.5TB zmirror. forum.openmediavault.org/index…2a6f8a4320e839c55e556624dforum.openmediavault.org/index…2a6f8a4320e839c55e556624d forum.openmediavault.org/index…2a6f8a4320e839c55e556624d While not applicable, the following we…

• How Rebuilt my old ZFS Pool

flmaxey - - General

Quote from hoppel118: “If this is the complete "zpool history", you never created zfs filesystems on your zpool. Didn't know that it is possible to work on the root of the pool directly. ” It is (possible). The first time I set up a ZFS pool, I created standard Linux folders at the root of the pool. While it works, one doesn't get to use the features and benefits of setting ZFS filesystems.

• Systemdisk/OS disk almost full

flmaxey - - General

See what you can find under /var/lib/docker The sub-dir /containers might have something interesting. Unfortunately, Docker uses a merged directory structure to create containers, that's not unlike UnionFS. Basically the components of a container consist of overlays that are compiled from more than 1 folder on the boot drive. The following is only speculation: What would be more interesting, and much more likely to contain a lot of data, would the host side path to your deleted containers Volume…

• MPD Server Guide?

flmaxey - - General

No problem. Now you might an idea why I was nudging you toward an existing media server Docker "How-To". And while it's a great idea, note that you may run into networking issues when running OMV, with Dockers, in a VM. Virtualbox uses a secondary network on the host, for guests (OMV). That works fine. But when setting up the Docker plugin, in the OMV guest, note that Docker applies an additional full network of it's own, for internal admin, and interfaces for it's containers. While your contain…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

It's time for a little "off topic" show and tell. This is what I meant about trim carpentry: All windows are new, maintenance free vinyl, intended for new construction. Here's an unfinished window, sitting in a rough opening. forum.openmediavault.org/index…2a6f8a4320e839c55e556624d This is a "finished" window. The arrow points to the top stop strip, that's store bought. The rest I cut from dimensional lumber that wasn't intended for trim use. While it's time intensive, it saved a lot of money wh…

• New to OMV...

flmaxey - - My NAS Build

Quote from razvanrudy: “1. Maybe a noob question but how do you use this 5 ( or the 4 with OMV) ? Are they separate servers or some how they form a single server? 2. What about transcoding ( I know this is one of the most power hungry operation) they can handle 4k or at least full hd ? 3. Allready have one external 8tb hdd which I plan to use it to backup all other hard drives from the main unit weekly. ” 1. Not sure what you're asking here. "What is 5 or 4?" If you're talking about the N54L or …

• New to OMV...

flmaxey - - My NAS Build

Really it depends on your budget, the performance you're looking for, and whether or not virtualization or heavy usage of Dockers is likely. For the widest selection of Dockers and the ability to run virtual guests with desktops, you'd need an X64 platform with a good performing CPU and 8GB of ram (give or take - more would be better). If you're more about energy efficiency, some go to the used market for an HP microserver (the N54L is the fastest of the G7 micro's or maybe a N40L). While these …

• MPD Server Guide?

flmaxey - - General

I'm pretty sure the Docker itself wouldn't be too hard to set up. But again, part of knowing if the Docker is working correctly is knowing how to use the app or server the Docker is running. You're right, in that running any server is best done in a Docker versus a direct install. (With a Docker, it's dirt simple to delete everything and start over, with Zero impact to the host server.) ___________________________________________________________ On Dockers, you mentioned Volumes. Where it comes …

• MPD Server Guide?

flmaxey - - General

I looked the Docker over on hub.docker.com . To set up the Docker and verify that it's actually working, it's usually necessary to have at least some knowledge of how the app itself works. The "Music Player Deamon" is a true Client / Server music app (2 parts) that doesn't appear to have an easy setup on either end. This is the -> guides section of the forum. There are a number of popular media player Docker How-To's -> here. And a number of popular media player How-To video's -> here.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “Rockstor use BTRFS they used it from the get go, it's still alive but their latest blog posts are Nov 17 ” And just like mdadm RAID, BTRFS may work well, as long as it's on an UPS (where it won't lose sync of it's transactions). Having to have transaction ID's clean as whistle, defeats the entire concept of "Copy on Write" where a file change is copied complete to the hard drive before the older version is deleted. Given this behavior, even is there's a power outage, either t…

• Creating i386 images

flmaxey - - General

I recently did a 32 bit OMV install in the following manner: I installed Debian 9 using the "net install" image. When the selections for Debian software came up, I added the SSH server, and removed the desktop, print server, and the other software add-on's. (Being able to SSH into the completed Debian install, using PuTTY, makes the following a lot easier.) Then I used the scripts from the post @macom reference to install OMV4. With SSH enabled and being able to get on the command line with PuTT…

• That's a huge pool, so I guess you wouldn't want to hear anything about restoring from backup? (Just kidding ) ___________________________________________________________________ On the E-mails, I simply unchecked the boxes under System, Notification, Notifications Tab, System. The rational behind that decision was the sporadic nuisance E-mails, along with what was being monitored. If something in the system itself is critical, (software or hardware) it's unlikely that an E-mail would give enoug…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “Pants!! But thanks for heads up, I just thought that might be a better option with your reference V5 awhile back, I'll just stick with EXT4 then. ” I went into it (BTRFS) with an open mind. When a bit of file corruption was detected during a scrub, way back, I thought OK! Now, I'll find which files are corrupted, those that didn't match their check sums, and replace them from the source. That would have been as simple as deleting them locally, where the next Rsync job would r…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “ Quote from flmaxey: “I mentioned the possibility to the wife, about getting a 3D printer to toy around with this winter. ” Yes, but did she agree, mine would say "What do you need that for" to which my reply would be to extol the endless possibilities of 3D printing stuff for school use.....not mentioning that it could be used for more practical applications ” I already have "wife buy in". When she found out that I could make her all sorts of knitting paraphernalia, organiza…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

So you're not going to have to butcher your case... Darn it! (Just kidding.) Along a related line, I mentioned the possibility to the wife, about getting a 3D printer to toy around with this winter. It would be pretty cool to "make" a fan mount, complete with an integrated plastic duct! On thingiverse, they even have drive cages and all sorts of "stuff" for PC's. With a 3D printer, mod'ing possibilities are endless. ___________________ The Good News: The EX-470 has been up for a week, with no is…

• Quote from trapexit: “Policies are used at the point the request is made. mergerfs doesn't actively move data around and that's very purposeful. Best to leave such complicated tasks to the user. If your drives are filling in ways you don't want its likely you chose the wrong policy. But tools like mergerfs.balance can help but should only be used if you don't care where data goes as I never made its algo any more complicated than move files from the fullest drives to the least fullest. ” That's …

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “ The reason I'm looking toward that small a mesh again it's from the homeservershow site, some have used mesh in between the double skin door, acts as a dust trap without compromising air flow greatly. ” Hum,,, maybe I should build a server with cardboard and duct tape, and post it there! (homeservershow.com)

• How Rebuilt my old ZFS Pool

flmaxey - - General

Quote from hoppel118: “ @flmaxey What do you think about this result? ” The zpool history doesn't show anything as being deleted. (That's obvious.) While it's speculation, something must have happened when the OMV2.X installation crashed. Data disks usually survive an operating system crash, but that's not always the case. While I'd like to be able to suggest something else, I'd have to agree with you - I think the pool is empty. _________________________________________________ @.H. My sincere …

• Quote from syrusstk: “Did a complete overhaul of the omv-theme menu, themes and UI plugins are grouped in their own categories with a different selection menu. /----/ Tagging people that may be interested of this update @TechnoDadLife @flmaxey @Adoby ” It works as advertised. Being able to label a server in the Top Banner is really useful - a designation greatly reduces the chance of making a mistake. Thanks! (I hope you'll maintain this mod' on Git Hub for awhile.)