Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Pi-Hole - Network wide Ad blocking

flmaxey - - Plugins

I installed unbound on my OMV server, and referenced it in my Pihole/Docker install by OMV's IP address. Cached entries are blazingly fast and the entire DNS function is much more secure. For those who may be inclined to set up unbound it's a real improvement over ISP and public resolvers. In tests, after hitting a remote server the first time (120ms), the second name request for the same server was 0ms. After the first hit, it's local. Thanks for sharing this.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Got it working between the 2 IP addresses. I had to install dnsutils on this particular OMV box but, other than that, it was pretty straight forward. Now, to test it a bit. It may still be possible that this function (unbound) might work with Pi-Hole, on an R-PI.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Yeah - you have the OMV DNS plugin installed (for DHCP). I'm trying to config it right now.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

When using a Docker with a separate IP address, I was assuming that the OMV host IP (where unbound is installed) would have to be DNS server. I haven't has a chance to test that assumption, as it would mean changing the settings recommended in the How-To considerably. (And I'm reluctant to muck around with my backup server because, being at the new house, it's now my primary server. )

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

It is possible to get inside of one of those containers on the CLI, but the barriers to getting out again when trying to add a package from an external source..... ______________________________________________________ So, in place of the custom IP in pi-hole (the How-To has it as 127.0.0.1 the local host), did you use your OMV server's IP address?

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

You installed unbound "inside" the Docker, or on your OMV server?

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “Have you had any issues regarding Pi-Hole? ” Actually, the only issue I had recently was the loss of historic data. I shut down my server for a week and on a restart, for some reason, the old data wasn't there. (That was a first.) The problem you're having may be related to updating the Docker plugin. I read a few other threads that indicate (didn't notice anything conclusive) that something changed with either Docker or the plugin itself). As usual, I'm hanging back. I can't…

• Pi-Hole - Network wide Ad blocking

flmaxey - - Plugins

That's useful. Given the DNS shenanigans going on with ISP's and others, that's worth giving it a try. (And I think waiting 1 whole second, for a first time resolve process, is well worth the wait.)

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Compared to some I know, yeah, my hobbies are real cheap. Maybe a hundred dollars or so over 3 or 4 months. I'm working on my last room. (For my hobbies and activities.) One more coat of paint, lay the flooring and baseboard, and done. From there, it's minor things, shelves for two closets, touch up paint, etc. Really, I need to get out there while the weather is cooler, but still reasonable, and cut next years wood. At least one, maybe two days will be dedicated to that this week. I do have som…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

I bought the Intel server. I'm calling it a "hobby" expense. While a bit dated, it will become my second server that has actual server grade hardware. With the gross quantity of ECC RDIMMS out there, for older platforms, I can put a ton of memory in it for peanuts. Also, a second Xeon is around $5 to $10 USD. The result of two CPU's will be a Passmark of 8000+. (The same as my fastest client. ) Those spec's, with lots of RAM, will let me run ESXi and virtualize with ease. Maybe Proxmox? As I may…

• Error when deleting shared folder

flmaxey - - General

Quote from buers: “Quote from ryecoaaron: “When the filesystem says it isn't referenced, there *shouldn't* be any sharedfolders pointing to it. ” You are certainly the better expert for OMV than me. But anyway, can you please recheck your answer. Seems you were missing one level of reference in the hierarchy in your answer. ” @ryecoaaron doesn't miss much and he is the expert in this subject and most others like it - like "Linux" in general. And he's even a good excellent electrician. (I had to …

flmaxey - - General

While I'll concede that there may be a real problem - it only takes 1 reference of some kind to prevent deleting the file system and, after that, the drive. Since that means finding the reference(s) or a rebuild, it doesn't hurt to ask and one reference is easy to miss. ______________________________________________________ First, go to System, Plugins and find the openmediavault-resetperms plugin. Install it. After the plugin is installed, then you'll have the "Shared Folder in Use" tab, as sho…

flmaxey - - General

Quote from macom: “Quote from flmaxey: “As noted, in the above exercise, the drive was not there either. ” Missed that, sorry. ” It's all good! Let's hope that @buers finds a reference to delete.

flmaxey - - General

As noted, in the above exercise, the drive was not there either. (As in deleted, gone, and missing on the file system page.) The drive doesn't have to exist to delete the file system associated with it. However, to delete the file system, references to the drive can not exist. ______________________________________________ forum.openmediavault.org/index…b90f74907ce976062a8c9956f Even with "Status" Missing, if "Referenced" is No; the Delete button should be available. If the Delete button is not …

flmaxey - - General

Quote from Buers: “flmaxey: "Note that deconfiguring a drive must be done in the same order that it was configured, but in reverse order. " Well, my drive died. It seems that OMV needs a working drive, to properly remove it? Of course, I may not have understood, how to do it.. When I try to remove the file system of the dead drive from shared folders, I get the errors described above. OMV shows me, that there are no references left to the shared folder. (I had removed CIFS/SMB references before)…

• Systemdisk/OS disk almost full

flmaxey - - General

By chance do you have Plex or Emby installed? If you do, and you have a lot of media files, the folder where these managers store metadata can grow to enormous sizes. The more media files added (or as these media managers search out media file related data), the larger the metadata folder grows. I also had a problem, early on, with UrBackup. Urbackup was trying and failing to backup a UEFI client that had a problem. That resulted in a growing collection of temp files. Once the backup was success…

• Take a look at this -> post. It should get you and your LAN users into OMV's shares with at least reasonable security.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

That mod looks really good. No glue or tape marks - definitely not the work of a colonist... It looks factory! (Are you sure you did that? ) Along the lines of those extra drives, I read that BTRFS doesn't play well with virtualization so it's good thing that you went with EXT4. As it seems (and I suspected) BTRFS still has a l-o-n-g way to go. (Look at what " Stephan IT Professional" had to say in a fairly recent post on this page.) I sincerely hope OMV does not go the BTRFS route in OMV5. BTRF…

• SATA card

flmaxey - - General

The card is coming from Hong Kong. (That's a distinction without a difference these days.) The cables shipped from California. __________________ On the mobo I'll be using to flash the card, no, it's not UEFI. The mobo I'll eventually use the card with has yet to be determined. Why? Does this card have problems with UEFI?

• SATA card

flmaxey - - General

Quote from GTvert90: “Quote from flmaxey: “So, after flashing: It was, install, connect a drive and boot? ” You install before you flash. But yes I disconnected all drives, installed card, flashed, verified firmware changed (guide didn't tell you to I just felt like it was a good step to take.) installed the OS drive, ran omv-first aid ( I was switching motherboard) once OMV was up and running I shut down and connected the data drives. ” Well I was thinking, install and connect a drive. (The con…