Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 255.

• Unable to delete shared folder

jollyrogr - - General

you deleted the directory from the terminal first didn't you? I would try recreating the directory from the terminal and then deleting from the UI.

• Pi-Hole - Network wide Ad blocking

jollyrogr - - Plugins

I had not thought about automating the update but that sounds like a good idea.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

I was wondering how you would use this with a docker pi-hole. I suppose another option would be to run unbound in a docker as well?

jollyrogr - - Plugins

I have noticed no slowness. I ran the GRC DNS test after setting up the unbound resolver, and my server was the fastest as well as most secure.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

I found this simple guide docs.pi-hole.net/guides/unbound/ and am now running my own resolver on the pi-hole VM. Seems to work awesome.

• see here: Download old RP3 OMV images

jollyrogr - - Plugins

After checking my pi-hole configuration, I was actually using Google DNS. I ran the GRC test, and my ISP DNS tested the fastest, with cloudfare #2 and google #3. I have changed pi-hole to use my ISP DNS and enabled DNSSEC since my ISP DNS supports it

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from flmaxey: “Google probably does collect on those who use them, but there's literally no way to prevent a service provider from logging your internet activity. On the other hand, one of my ISP's is Comcast who is a known DNS manipulator. I refuse to use their DNS. ((Microsoft's telemetry servers are another matter altogether. Pi-hole is effective in limiting M$'s data collection from your workstations.)) Since you have one of the smaller IPS's, take a look at this free utility for testi…

jollyrogr - - Plugins

So I don't believe that my ISP is manipulating DNS traffic as they are a smaller local company rather than a large bunch of assholes like AT&T, etc. But I could trial a public DNS server to see how that compares. I just feel like Google provides the servers for the sole purpose of collecting data on people.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from tkaiser: “ And think twice about using Google's DNS as 'some tutorial' suggest if your use case (Pi-Hole) is about privacy. Handing out everything what happens in your local network to Google is most probably not exactly what you want in this case. ” Agree 100%. I use pi-hole with my ISP's DNS.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from ryecoaaron: “That is his method. Do some searching and you will find plenty of people using the method I described. Use whatever works for you. ” OK thanks. I need to install docker and familiarize myself with it.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from tornadox: “I have 2 OMV servers, one is on PcDuino 3 Nano (ARM CPU + 1 SATA) and one X86 with 7 HDDs, it's noisy and I don't need it all the time. So no docker on pcduino etc, but no noise also. ” That works. Honestly I'd like to get an SBC to run Pi-hole simply because then I don't need the NAS powered up in order for the internet to work. If the power goes out, I can shutdown the server and the UPS could keep the modem, router and pi-hole running for hours.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Neat. But what about flmaxey's pi-hole docker tutorial that says this: ** If upgrading to the latest image, it is recommended that the previous container is stopped/deleted, delete the previous image, delete the macvlan driver in the networks tab and delete the file contents of [b]/dockerparms/pihole . [/b]Then proceed with the installation of the new image as follows.** Sounds a lot more involved than what you describe. Sounds like starting over every time.

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Quote from ryecoaaron: “If you run pihole in a docker, no OS installation is necessary either ” True, but can you update pi-hole when new updates are available? All I need to do is SSH into the VM and do a "pihole -up".

jollyrogr - - Plugins

This thread popped up again, so as an update from me, I've been running Pi-hole in vbox for over a year now. I'm using a Dietpi VM and it works great. No OS installation necessary. dietpi.com I love pi-hole so much, I setup a VPN on my router so I could surf ad-free on my phone from anywhere, not just at home.

• Upgrading from OMV 3 to OMV 4

jollyrogr - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Nope. 3.x is actually EOL'd. ” When did that happen? What's the procedure for upgrading? Thanks

• Moving my shared drives to OMV

jollyrogr - - General

Are you certain the files are still on the drives? Are the drives still FAT32?

• I'm running an Intel NVME drive which is entirely unnecessary. A good quality usb stick would work just fine with the added benefit that making OS drive backups (clones) and swapping OS drives is super easy.

• SNAPRAID+AUFS Replacing disks

jollyrogr - - Plugins

Whenever I have snapraid questions I find it's helpful to read the documentation on the snapraid website. I don't do things like disk replacement often enough to remember the procedure. To replace a data disk: snapraid.it/faq#repdatadisk

• How to partition data disks

jollyrogr - - General

why raid 1? I would recommend using an automated rsync backup or something along those lines.