Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

My wife would love to have something like that. (So I won't show it to her.... ) Man, at this point I'm tired of building or, maybe I should say, "customizing". New construction is easy. Retrofitting old construction is a royal (Harry) PITA. Everything is a freaking custom measurement were, a bit of trimming is required here or an adjustment is needed there, to install nearly anything. While I can do it, I'm worn out with all that. This is what we have: Englander It's a great catalytic stove tha…

• Installing OMV on my system..

flmaxey - - General

Something to try: Set your BIOS boot order, and allow USB boot drives. Get a USB3 thumb-drive and install OMV to it. (I'm going to assume that your server has a CD/DVD ROM for the OMV ISO.) **If this works your you, you'll need to install the flash-mem plugin to extend the life of the USB boot drive.**

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Since your Home Hub appears to use a MIMO mesh setup, if you want to take control at some point, the same thing can be done with ASUS AiMesh. Some of the routers that are AiMesh capable, are reasonably priced in the used market, but you'd need 1 each to replace each of the BT hub boxes. And I also noted that the RT-AC86U is supported by Open-Wrt which would extend it's usable life. For mulit-band, MIMO routers, Open-Wrt supports a version of Mesh topology, but it doesn't look like a simple set u…

• RAID 10 setup long resync

flmaxey - - RAID

Sorry for the delayed response. Really there's no accounting for sync times on large drives in even larger arrays. There are too many factors involved (drive types, controllers, the type of array, etc). What did you do? How did it come out (or) how long did it take?

• If up-time is that important, is this a business server? RE your questions: - I'd go with software RAID for a single, but significant, reason. Hardware RAID permanently ties the array to a specific model card. With software RAID, RAID flags are added to each block device which makes them portable. A software RAID data array can be removed from one hardware platform and inserted in another. Also, hardware RAID may have quirks that users may not know about. (Drive size limits, incompatible drives,…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

RE Hacking the home hub - I like the idea! Buy one E-bay, flash it to unlock it and,,, it wouldn't work.... ISP's are on to that. You'd have to spoof it's MAC address, other potential and unknown hardware identifiers (a key signature?) AND replicate the current configuration. If you failed in the most minor detail, your ISP might cut you off. ______________________________________________________________________ Setting up pi-hole on an R-PI works, this is a given. **And I just verified that unb…

• Setting up Rsync

flmaxey - - General

When doing a disk to disk backup, the first copy might take awhile. Depending on the amount of data, the first sync may take hours to even days. During the first job, misc system events might interrupt the job (a reboot for example) but, with the switches set on the command line, Rsync will retain the files copied and pick up where it stopped on the next scheduled event. If you're wondering if you have a full disk-to-disk sync, run the job manually. (Note, if you have a massive directory and fil…

• Setting up Rsync

flmaxey - - General

Since it specifies the full path to the command, the following would work, if you chose to use it. /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk2 However: Linux has the equivalent of Windows paths to executables, so app's in user binaries(/usr/bin/) should run without specifying the full path. In essence, "rsync" , as a standalone command, should work. If rsync exists under /usr/bin and the command doesn't work, as it is in the guide, you might have someth…

• You have the right idea. Everything you've configured should be removed in reverse order. (While that might seem to be a pain, it's actually logical. Otherwise, a click or two of the mouse could destroy hours worth of work and data as well.) If DELETE is grayed out, you might have something attached to a shared folder, the file system, etc. Installing the reset perms plugin might help you find it. This post goes over "de"configuring drives, installing the reset perm's plugin, and what it does. I…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

At the new place, the ISP's ADSL router is locked down as well. There's very little I can change but one item is turning off their Wifi (which I did). With my router behind it, I'm in control again. You know, given where I am now, I'm amazed that I have 15mbs (tested) DSL. I'm 1.5 miles from the nearest paved road which, as luck would have it, happens to be where the telco has their ATM access node. In any case, if you throw a router behind the Home Hub, things become simple but it would require…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

You could statically set the DNS address, while leaving the IP address on automatic (DHCP). (I've done that before, but I forget the reason why...) But if you're there, you might as well do it all. I can say this much: I have no idea how much it shortens network connections and interchanges but unbound is fast. After the first name lookup, the next is 0ms (from the OMV server's perspective). When testing, the DNS bench mark utility shows that local resolution is faster than any server out there.…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

From before - it's coming back now. I seem to remember something about the ISP equipment providing really good Wifi. (Other than that, the equipment didn't provide the normal set of features - kind of brain dead.) And I even think I said this before; if you want to take control of this it's going to have to be with your own equipment (and Wifi) which would represent a significant expense in your case. I'm in a similar situation at the new place - being forced to use ISP's ADSL router, while payi…

• Systemdisk/OS disk almost full

flmaxey - - General

All's well that ends well, but one would have to wonder; what happened where "sharedfolders" became hidden and what was adding files to it? Was there anything on the Debian forum that might explain or suggest how it happened? (Just curious.)

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Come on...

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Geaves: As you seem to be trying different settings - you probably already know this.... If you change unbound's config, it should to be followed by service unbound restart (or a reboot). Since it seems there may be some sort of problem, what does service unbound status show?

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

You're using OMV's DNS plugin (as I remember) where I am not. Perhaps the plugin is conflicting with unbound. Did you ever figure out a workaround for the DHCP issue? (Caused by your ISP's router as I recall.)

• raspberry pi 3 and windows 10

flmaxey - - CIFS/SMB

It seems like a permissions issue. Take a look at this post.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “EDIT: The other thing I noticed was that the interface in pi-hole is set at eth0, even though I reinstalled pi-hole once I got the N54L running and it's network interface....further investigation of 01-pihole.conf in /dockerparms/pihole/dnsmasq.d has the setting as interface=eth0, eth0 was from the last server. ” My setup, on the latest pi-hole in Docker (ver 4.0), is eth0 as well. Remember, pi-hole (in a Docker) is running in a type of vm where the Ethernet interface might s…

• Pi-Hole - Network wide Ad blocking

flmaxey - - Plugins

While I don't know if there's a Docker for unbound; I'm sure it would work that way (Docker to Docker). Unbound and pi-hole connect by IP address and port. I chose a direct install, into OMV's Debian OS, because unbound is really light and the semi-annual update can be automated (in scheduled tasks.)

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

I just finished testing unbound and, I have to say, I'm impressed. Cached entries, 0ms. I linked from the Pi-Hole/Docker, by IPaddress#port to the OMV host and it works fine. This is far better than ISP or public resolvers. After running through it again, I'm thinking about tacking this onto the Pi-Hole Docker How-To for those who may be interested. If this will work on an R-PI (here's to hoping the unbound package is available on Armbian), that's better yet. Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from g…