Search Results

Search results 1-10 of 10.

• Quote from tkaiser: “And some people understand the difference between individual unpaid consultancy and a public user forum. Smart people search for answers, smart people might stumble accross this thread later thinking about which boot drive they would need for an OMV installation. It's important that these people are aware that using a M.2 SSD is a useless waste of ressources and money no matter what you personally think, like or feel. ” Sweet Lord, you just can't let it go, can you? Luckily,…

• Quote from gwaitsi: “I hope you are running ECC memory on your motherboard (but i don't the original motherboard mentioned supports it). ” No I don't. But that's a calculated risk. My use case is not critical. Quote from gwaitsi: “You might want to do some more research on the difference between the file systems of freenas vs OMV with non-ECC memory and revisit your decision or plan a backup strategy that corresponds to the associated risks ” I know the differences between FreeNAS and OMV in ter…

• Initially I was interested in OMV, but after tkaiser's off-putting comments I decided to look for an alternative NAS OS with full support for modern hardware. However, I appreciate the effort that others here made to provide me with useful information regarding OMV on M2. Quote from ryecoaaron: “The FreeNAS people will tell you it is just fine and lots of people run production VMware ESXi servers on sd cards. Just sayin... ” Yes, I know. To each his own, right?

• So.... I switched to FreeNAS. Could install to the PCIe M.2 SSD without any issues. Server runs smoothly, no thermal issues with the SSD whatsoever, GUI is very responsive. No matter what people say, I just can't get past the idea of running a server OS from a USB flash drive Cheers!

• @ness1602: thanks! Do you experience any overheating issues with your NVMe drive, like tkaiser mentioned? Quote from tkaiser: “Hmm.... I found it a bit scary to install recently an M.2 SSD that started to cook itself at 80°C with light loads. Now it's serving somewhere else with huge heatsinks applies and some ventilation and remains below 50°C in idle (still waiting for a firmware update that corrects heat development) ”

• Thanks for the links guys! Seems it will take some tinkering to get it working, but that's part of the fun, right?

• Okay, let's wrap this up because it's not leading anywhere. I was hoping someone would have some practical experience with similar hardware. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I know a USB thumb drive is the easy and proven way...

• I take it you don't have the answers to my questions, right? Quote from tkaiser: “M.2 SSD that started to cook itself at 80°C with light loads ” That is most unfortunate....

• Thanks for the feedback tkaiser, but I think you're missing the point here. All I would like to know is whether or not OMV can be installed to and ran from such an SSD. Costs (not extreme, $70) and heat development (negligible in a simple home server) are irrelevant at this point. FYI: using an M.2 SATA SSD automatically disables one of the regular SATA ports, so that's not an option either. Quote from tkaiser: “or if you are sure your board can boot a Debian 8 or 9 via NVMe ” ...if I would know…

• Hello, I've been Googling for a while, but I can't seem to find a clear answer to the question: can OMV (3/4) be installed to an M.2 PCIe SSD and does it run properly? I prefer an SSD over USB flash drives (/paranoid/), but don't want to waste a SATA port if I have an unused M.2 slot. SSD = Intel 600p series (PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe) Motherboard = Asrock B250M-HDV According to the specs of the motherboard, NVMe SSD boot disks are supported. Before I start buying hardware.... has anyone tried this? Is i…