Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 87.

• I've used this one without issue. Mediasonic USB 3.0 PCI Express Card HP1-SU3 Sorry, disregard. This card has no internal USB cable header. Apologies

• Asrock J4105 + SSD + 2*8TB HDD

Markess - - My NAS Build

Quote from DiN0: “* WD MyBook – case opened -> WD80EZAZ inside (like WDRed8, 256 MB Cache) – works in NAS without SATA-PIN-Modification ” This note, especially the mention of the pin-mod, makes it look to me like you already removed the disks from the My Book housings and put them into the case as internal SATA disks? If this is so, you may wish to verify a couple things: 1. Do you have SMART enabled, and if so what is the timing and priority? If its set to run a self test in less than 30 minute…

• Quote from aykaydub: “Received the 8GB stick recommended by Bonecracker and can confirm it works! Started up first time. Thanks for the help Bonecracker, and everyone else with the suggestions. New problem - there are no legacy boot options, even after updating the BIOS from v1.00 to v1.40, so I don't know how to install OMV...... ” You can try doing a minimal install of Debian (which will install via UEFI) , then install OMV on top of it via the package manager. I had to do this on an older i38…

• Since you list very specific hardware, I assume these are actual physically available items, rather than just research results? If so, a couple notes concerning what @TheLostSwede mentions above: Formfactor: The two HPs are towers, while the Dells are rackmount. Besides the different physical size and orientation, the Dells will have smaller, so probably noisier fans. The towers will have larger, slower moving fans, which should produce less noise. Storage: The ProDesk (assuming its the Desktop …

• 10GB Direct Connection?

Markess - - Network

I recently got offered a pair of Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards and a 3 meter DAC cable. Being the geeky guy I am, I can't let them sit and have to find a way to put them to use. So, I thought I'd use them for a 10GB direct connection between my main NAS and my home workstation. The two are in the same room and the 3 meter cable would span the distance. My workstation runs Linux, which I assume would simplify the configuration? I'd need to maintain the current Gigabit connection as well, since the ho…

• Quote from TheLostSwede: “As per ASRock's website "For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs." So that Ryzen 3 1200 doesn't support ECC on their boards, or anyone else as far as I'm aware, hence my post above. ” Quote from dziekon: “Raven Ridge are Ryzen APUs, not all Ryzen CPUs (through, I admit this notation is very confusing... shame on you AsRock). ” I am schooled yet again! Thanks for clarifying for everyone.

• Quote from Palulukas: “I also would like to use ecc ram. I don't know if the Core i5's can use it but ryzen 3 can, so... it's not out of the arena. ” Those two i5 you list in the original post don't support ECC. As you note, the Ryzen does. There are consumer AM4 motherboards that support ECC. Asrock, for example, makes quite a few. I recommend you check specifications closely though. In some cases, ECC is only supported on specific CPUs or families, like Ryzen PRO CPUs. I've also seen cases in …

• USB 3 works on that board. I used an M5A97LE R2.0 for OMV for a while, and it had the same Asmedia controller. I never found the need to verify it with lshw, but I had the transfer speeds I would have expected from USB 3.0 Quote from tr3bjockey: “Are you using an 8350 cpu in this motherboard also? Do you have a video card installed? Do you happen to know how many watts (and voltage) your system is using at Idle? ” If you were testing with plans to retire this rig from gaming and use it for OMV, …

• One of my OMV setups uses a 16GB eUSB Disk on Module. These are used mostly for industrial applications, so they tend to be reliable and have a fairly long lifespan. Most I've seen have wear leveling and ECC as well. In the US/Canada they are usually easy to find new on Ebay for about the same price as a low end SSD. They connect to an internal USB header, which puts the hardware out of the way inside the case, but keeps SATA ports free for data disks. Mine has a horizontal orientation, but ther…

• Quote from MrSandstorm: “The hardware I have available is: Motherboard: Intel DG31PR or ECS G31T-M7 CPU: Celeron 450 (1-core, 2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2, 35W) - Avarage CPU Mark: 626 or Core 2 Duo (2-core, 2.8GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2, 65W) - Avarage CPU Mark: 1775 RAM: 1GB DDR2 667MHz (Markvision) or 2GB DDR2 80MHz (Corsair).For the CPU ” For the CPU, you may want to consider using the Core 2 Duo instead of the Celeron. The C2D is a newer generation than the Celeron, and more efficient overall…

• Since you didn't get a reply on this yet, thought I'd share what I can: Quote from jigsaw: “Is it right way to add sata ports to add this motherboard? ” This is a popular way, to do it. There are others, but this should work well. Quote from jigsaw: “Adding by this card should i worried about data corruption or something? ” These are pretty reliable cards, so shouldn't be a concern. If you get one without a provided Mini-SAS cable, make sure to get a good quality one. Quote from jigsaw: “Is OMV …

• Quote from Dr.Proton: “I really want to keep it cheap and therefore use the old components here. Best the 3-5 harddrives (in any Raid combination) and the 2 GB DDR3 memory. My thought was to find an ITX case for the drives, get a cheap used ITX board with a soldered on CPU where I can put in the DDR3 SO-Dimms and a PSU. ” You don't say where you are? If you are in the US/Canada, I know EBay is a likely place to find the older parts you'd need. Be aware that most ITX with soldered on CPUs have on…

• Files by samba very slow

Markess - - Network

Quote from Stramm: “I have the same board and no problems with smb speed. Bios power saving options are all enabled. ” Quote from ryecoaaron: “I have a QNAP TS-451 with a J1800 that has been running OMV for a few years. It has no problems saturating gigabit via samba or nfs with no custom settings on anything. And it did this with OMV 2.x then 3.x and now 4.x. ” I think that's part of the issue, its intermittent. Certain hardware combinations are completely unaffected, even with the same base ha…

• I posted a recommendation on your other thread concerning the slowdowns you've been experiencing, if you haven't returned your motherboard yet, you may wish to try it. As @tkaiser notes, a bit of troubleshooting is a good idea. Concerning a new motherboard though, as @TheLostSwede notes, without knowing your goals for OMV, its hard for people to make recommendations. If you do decide to buy a new motherboard, a general suggestion is to find hardware that has good Linux support. OMV runs on Debia…

• Files by samba very slow

Markess - - Network

The issue may be with the C States setting. Ever since the Bay Trail series (j1800/1900), Intel embedded J series processors have had random freezing/slowdowns under Linux. While a high severity bug has been open for years, this hadn't been fixed. Intel hasn't addressed it either, both because it's intermittent and because this segment is a low margin, low profit segment for the company. One of the most noticeable symptoms of this problem is transfers slowing to a crawl, which is what you have. …

• Quote from captainwtf: “Yeaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm not sure what the deal is. It shouldn't be a compatibility issue with any of the hardware I have in this machine. Supermicro X10 board, I've tried the install with my HBA unplugged. i've tried different USB drives... just doesn't make sense. ” I've been testing OMV with a bunch of different hardware the last month using OMV 4.1.3. No issues writing the installation files on any combination of hardware, EXCEPT a Supermicro board (X9DBL-iF) with a USB Fla…

• Quote from moisemust: “Last question : is omv as demanding in terms of ram usage as freenas if I install zfs support? Is it really that better than other file systems? ” Generally, OMV (Debian) will use a similar amount of RAM as FreeNAS. As I mentioned above, FreeNAS is very conservative in their listed requirements. So, the difference between FreeNAS listed requirements and other application/OS listed requirements for ZFS, is less what the system really needs and more what the Project Team thi…

• Selecting Hardware for "New" NAS

Markess - - Motherboards

Quote from TheLostSwede: “Even second hand, the R630 seems to be going for around $2,000-3,000, so you'd be mad not to take it and put it up on eBay if nothing else. The Supermicro would most likely be the easiest one to work with, as you'll be able to easily replace things like the PSU etc. as unlike Dell, Supermicro follows standards. Note that the Supermicro board isn't ATX, but rather SSI CEB so it may or may not fit in a standard ATX case. The mounting holes should be the same, but the rear…

• Just realized in my post above that I'd originally written "people on the OMV forum aren't helpful", when I'd meant to say "People in the FreeNAS forum..". A typo, which I've fixed. People in the OMV forums are VERY helpful, which is one of the reasons I left FreeNAS in the first place.

• Quote from moisemust: “I was hesitant between OMV which I already used (on a Raspberry Pi 3) and FreeNAS. I chose OMV just because of the gigantic amount of RAM FreeNAS requires. And this is what bugs me. Why such a difference between the two OSes? I know they don't share the same foundations as FreeNAS is built upon FreeBSD and OMV upon Debian but I'm sure it doesn't explain everything? ” FreeNAS uses ZFS, which is pretty memory intensive. Some folks argue that the FreeNAS system requirements a…