Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 98.

• Proposed NAS setup

TheLostSwede - - General

The Drobo's are terrible in terms of performance. Having used one of the "big brand" NASes for a few years, I'm much happier with OMV, as there are constant updates, something you don't get from the big brands, instead they bundles the updates and release them as and when they feel like it. What you have would work fine for what you want to do though.

• Proposed NAS setup

TheLostSwede - - General

Considering the Core 2 Duo doesn't support SATA 6Gbps, it might be worth investing in a cheap 4-port PCIe SATA controller. However, you're still likely to hit a bottleneck, as unless you have a P45 chipset or something more recent, you won't have PCIe 2.0, so the SATA card would then be bottlenecked. At least all Core 2 Duo compatible chipsets will have SATA 3Gbps and it might not be enough of a bottleneck in this case, since you'll be limited to Gigabit Ethernet. Some more information on what m…

• Deluge Docker Failing to install

TheLostSwede - - Plugins

Quote from gderf: “Quote from TheLostSwede: “Can't get Deluge up and running either. It was working fine until recently and now it seems to be running, but I get a connection refused message when I go to the IP and port where the web UI should be. It's been working perfectly fine up until a couple of days ago. ” If you are running the latest docker there is a known problem with it and a fix will be forthcoming. In the meantime use tag 145. ” Sorry, but I'm too stupid to work out how to do this. …

• Deluge Docker Failing to install

TheLostSwede - - Plugins

Can't get Deluge up and running either. It was working fine until recently and now it seems to be running, but I get a connection refused message when I go to the IP and port where the web UI should be. It's been working perfectly fine up until a couple of days ago.

• Quote from geaves: “Quote from TheLostSwede: “This is the first real problem I've had with OMV and it's one I have no idea how to even start to fix. ” I've had that when removing plugins, I usually start with apt-clean from omv-extras, if that doesn't sort it a clearing the browser cache is the next option. ” That did the trick, thanks

• Mine is borked too and I can't even remove docker properly. Even after uninstalling it via the GUI, I'm stuck with an entry under services and I can enter it and enable it, which throws an error message. How can I purge Docker properly? This is the first real problem I've had with OMV and it's one I have no idea how to even start to fix.

• Quote from aykaydub: “This is all fairly new to me, so not 100% on the terms, but there is nothing to boot as I haven't got to the point where I can install an OS of any kind. So Im not sure if there is no video out, or its failing to start at all? I bought some speakers when the initial build failed, if I turn on either Mobo with no RAM installed I get 3 beeps, otherwise no beeps at all at any point. No LEDs on the boards light up (I presume there aren't any), but the power button LED in the ca…

• Sorry, but the RAM would not be what's preventing the display output from not working. If the RAM didn't work, the system wouldn't boot. Have you connected a speaker to see if you get some "beep" codes? They are used to identify any potential problems. Do any LEDs on the board light up? Have you tried to connect a fan to see if it's spinning? That way you know the board has power. Which display interface are you trying to use? Have you tried the other one? Also, these days motherboards aren't th…

• Either one is more than powerful. Just get one that allows you to add enough storage for your needs now and in the future. Also maybe consider noise and power draw?

• Quote from Markess: “Quote from Palulukas: “I also would like to use ecc ram. I don't know if the Core i5's can use it but ryzen 3 can, so... it's not out of the arena. ” Those two i5 you list in the original post don't support ECC. As you note, the Ryzen does. There are consumer AM4 motherboards that support ECC. Asrock, for example, makes quite a few. I recommend you check specifications closely though. In some cases, ECC is only supported on specific CPUs or families, like Ryzen PRO CPUs. I'v…

• Quote from Palulukas: “I also would like to use ecc ram. I don't know if the Core i5's can use it but ryzen 3 can, so... it's not out of the arena. ” Well, that's more of a maybe. The Ryzen CPU might support it, as well as the built in memory controller, but the motherboard most likely don't. I don't know of any consumer grade motherboards for Ryzen that has ECC support. Just a word of warning before splashing out cash on something that might not work.

• If you're only on SFP+, I guess MikoTik has the cheapest option out there right now mikrotik.com/product/crs317_1g_16s_rm Interestingly, they have a small four port one as well for $149 mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

• recommended10gb network card

TheLostSwede - - Motherboards

Yeah, I was expecting something this year, but for whatever reason there's a delay. Realtek was showing off an eight port switch IC for 10Gbps at Computex in June, which I was told was priced under $30. Note that the cost doesn't include PHY's, so obviously the cost of an actual switch would be a lot higher once you add the PHY's, but it would still allow for much cheaper switches than today. Maybe not quite at the 24-port level, but it's a huge step in the right direction if you can get an eigh…

• recommended10gb network card

TheLostSwede - - Motherboards

This might be a bit of late addition, but by now, Aquantia cards should work, as long as you start on kernel 4.18. I had some issues earlier, but upgraded to the latest driver this past weekend and it wasn't that hard once the compiling worked. So far very happy with my Aquantia cards, even though early on they had a flaky firmware. Hard to beat on price for new hardware. If you're in the US, it seems like you can get a sub $50 Edimax card based on Tehuti and Marvell hardware amazon.com/Edimax-E…

• Those are spare parts? Any and all of those will do. No need for that much RAM, I'm running half and it's a waste, but it was "spare parts" as well... No need for a RAID card. I started with RAID, but it has little to no performance benefit. Look into SnapRAID and see if it'll do the job for you instead. It's less complex if a drive fails. The Ryzen might not be that well supported under Debian, that's my only concern going with it. The Intel hardware works well, as it's properly supported, sinc…

• Ignore the guy above you, he's a spammer. You can check quite easily. Install lshw (apt install lshw) and run it. Under the list of USB devices, you should see a xHCI Host Controller, that's your USB 3.0 host controller. If it's missing, then it's not working. However, as I said, it's a very common USB 3.0 host controller and I'm 99% sure it's supported.

• I don't see why it would be, as both would have their own database in separate directories. Emby is only available for OMV as a docker image though.

• Most likely out of date information, as the ASM1042 is a fairly old USB 3.0 controller by now. Obviously not the same system, but as you can see, it's supported by the standard Linux xhci_hcd driver, which is a USB 3.0 host controller driver wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/X54C The site you looked at doesn't have a lot of recent hardware and by recent I mean the last 4-5 years. Just out of curiosity, have you had a look at Emby as an alternative to Plex? I found it to be a lot nicer to u…

• Just curious, why do you need to transcode the content you're watching? Is all your content in some odd format that the Xbox 360's can't play? The only thing I would say about that hardware is that it's not very power efficient, if you care about that. Since the NAS is going to be on 24/7 (I assume), this might be something to consider.

• I didn't realise you were replying to yourself... But got to hear you got it working.