Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “1. Anyway who does RTM 2. Secretly I had hoped you would install it because I guessed you would test the hell out of it just to ensure it's robust enough 3. 2x600w power supplies what was it designed to run? ” 1. I do, when I'm in unknown territory. As a direct result, I've learned a few things about this server that I find simply amazing. For example, it has a "memory mirror" option. You install 128GB, for example, and use 64GB of it. The other half of it is for backup. That…

• web interface gone wrong

flmaxey - - General

Two things: 1. You must, always, log in using the username admin. (This is probably the issue) 2. Find and follow the instructions for clearing your browser's cache.

• Computer won't connect

flmaxey - - General

Take a look at this guide. Start with a new shared folder on page 46. (Follow the example as it is.) When it's complete, cross check your server short cut, and make sure it's setup according to the Win10 How-To. (Note: The IP address you enter in your short cut should be the IP address for your server. An example for statically setting the IP address for your server is in the guide, starting on page 36.) You should see your new share in the short cut, be able to copy files into the share, etc.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

I've been testing Pi-hole/Unbound on an R-PI B. The only way I could drive the R-PI CPU to 100% was to update "Gravity" in the Pi-hole admin page, and that was momentary, toward the end of the update. Switching pages, in Pi-hole hit the CPU for something between 14 and 20%. New lookups, for domains and sites not in the cache, come out at about 1 to 2% for Pi-hole and 1 to 2% for unbound. Running htop actually takes a bit more than Pi-hole or unbound. If this scales, the R-Pi B could handle at le…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “Quote from flmaxey: “Pi-hole is offered as a package in their software installer so they'd almost have to work through version upgrade issues ” then why did I install from the cli!!!! forum.openmediavault.org/index…7d58c96247767b2b5fa732443 ” Really! Didn't you see their installer when you logged in? (Admittedly, a text based menu installer doesn't grab one's attention.) _____________________________________________________________________________ I don't know... You might wa…

• Setting up Rsync

flmaxey - - General

On the rsync errors: You know that Plex may be working, potentially around the clock, collecting metadata for your media files. Along those lings, the first thing rsync does when a job is started is to scan the source and destination, to generate a files list to copy. With that in mind, what do you think would happen if the contents of the source disk is changed, after rsync scans it? (Files added, changed or deleted.) Maybe a few errors? Until things settle out with your install and Plex has a …

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Thomas Crapper's... I was looking forward to being able to do a simple Pi-hole update in the admin page, retaining settings, etc., versus the Docker route where container setup most be spot perfect. I hope they've resolved this and odds are they have. That's a benefit of using Diet-PI; Pi-hole is offered as a package in their software installer so they'd almost have to work through version upgrade issues. In any case, I'll be sure to backup the SD-card before trying a Pi-hole update. To take a b…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

On the log file and access, after checking the user list, it seems unbound adds a user - if you want to tighten access. (Not much point in it - it's a single log file.) You were right about the browser and pi-holes strange behavior. I used IE for the admin page, on this client, no problem. In any case, I'm not clearing Firefox's cache unless it's absolutely necessary - there's too many settings in it for sites I use. _____________________________________________________________ I don't know if y…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

I have an interesting issue with pi-hole in the docker, working with unbound. I can't get into the admin page anymore. When I try, the Docker resets. In unbound, I noticed with the status command that the log file /var/log/unbound/unbound.log didn't exist. I created it the log file, gave others write to the file and that part seems to work. It seems that all is working but I don't know what to make of the pi-hole console page. Edit: The problem occurs only when accessing the Pi-hole/admin page f…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Cached entries are a bit slower, but that's to be expected as the unbound DNS cache is filled. Still, they're not much slower than up-line DNS servers. (Curious - I got no cached results in my test.) Uncached name requests, which is the purpose of unbound, are smokin' fast. What do you think? Are you going to use the setup or test it for awhile? ______________________________________________ I have my fast client at the new place. Wireless - good for laptops but that's about it. I have 130mbs on…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “TBH never heard of 'Catalytic' wood burners this site explains the functionality which by reading it improves the stoves efficiency, but the price on that site is a bit eye popping ” That's the genius behind the Englander design - a catalytic reaction without a ceramic platinum based catalytic element. They have stainless tubes in the top (4 each) with small holes drilled at diameters and angles that vary with each tube. On top of them, there's ceramic fiber boards. The stain…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Well,, I simply looked at a map, but you followed the route! I know exactly what to do now - thanks for the tips. Since we're talking about a near zero resources setup, I have an older B+ model I think I'll use for this. (The pi-hole folks say an R-PI zero would do the job for this function.) Of course since I only have the one B+, I'll test the resultant install on the 2B+ to see if it works. I believe in backup. My only concern would be a folder-to-ram option (the flash-mem plugin, in OMV) to …

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

You might be interested in this, if you have an R-PI to reuse. R-PI images collection More R-PI images, Debian, Ubuntu (current)

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Did you install something with a desktop? I think, in this case and with weak hardware, I'd go with a minimal install. Hum,,, I just noticed that R-PI's are not supported by Armbian. (Which might explain why our good buddy doesn't want to support R-PI's anymore. There would be some work involved in building a usable image, requiring the creation of a truly "preinstalled" image, the way it was done with OMV2 and 3. No semi-automated builds as it is with Armbian.) Given your experience with Raspbi…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

My wife would love to have something like that. (So I won't show it to her.... ) Man, at this point I'm tired of building or, maybe I should say, "customizing". New construction is easy. Retrofitting old construction is a royal (Harry) PITA. Everything is a freaking custom measurement were, a bit of trimming is required here or an adjustment is needed there, to install nearly anything. While I can do it, I'm worn out with all that. This is what we have: Englander It's a great catalytic stove tha…

• Installing OMV on my system..

flmaxey - - General

Something to try: Set your BIOS boot order, and allow USB boot drives. Get a USB3 thumb-drive and install OMV to it. (I'm going to assume that your server has a CD/DVD ROM for the OMV ISO.) **If this works your you, you'll need to install the flash-mem plugin to extend the life of the USB boot drive.**

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Since your Home Hub appears to use a MIMO mesh setup, if you want to take control at some point, the same thing can be done with ASUS AiMesh. Some of the routers that are AiMesh capable, are reasonably priced in the used market, but you'd need 1 each to replace each of the BT hub boxes. And I also noted that the RT-AC86U is supported by Open-Wrt which would extend it's usable life. For mulit-band, MIMO routers, Open-Wrt supports a version of Mesh topology, but it doesn't look like a simple set u…

• RAID 10 setup long resync

flmaxey - - RAID

Sorry for the delayed response. Really there's no accounting for sync times on large drives in even larger arrays. There are too many factors involved (drive types, controllers, the type of array, etc). What did you do? How did it come out (or) how long did it take?

• If up-time is that important, is this a business server? RE your questions: - I'd go with software RAID for a single, but significant, reason. Hardware RAID permanently ties the array to a specific model card. With software RAID, RAID flags are added to each block device which makes them portable. A software RAID data array can be removed from one hardware platform and inserted in another. Also, hardware RAID may have quirks that users may not know about. (Drive size limits, incompatible drives,…

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

RE Hacking the home hub - I like the idea! Buy one E-bay, flash it to unlock it and,,, it wouldn't work.... ISP's are on to that. You'd have to spoof it's MAC address, other potential and unknown hardware identifiers (a key signature?) AND replicate the current configuration. If you failed in the most minor detail, your ISP might cut you off. ______________________________________________________________________ Setting up pi-hole on an R-PI works, this is a given. **And I just verified that unb…