Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 80.

• I see several ways: - what makes the mount disappear? find the root of this and a remedy - use rsnapshot (a sophisticated script with exceptions, generations, ...) it does not start without the proper path mounted - write a batchfile that checks for an item e.g. a directory that you know must exist on your drive and do not start if the check fails - look into automount (overkill IMO) btw. if I use rsync for backup I use the "--delete" option

• Update hangs

DHGE - - Updates/Upgrades

delete or comment the line file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives in your sources.list and do an apt update

• Web GUI not acessible

DHGE - - General

You did not tell us what kind of hardware you have. Assuming it is a X86 based device with with a CD-reader or USB: Boot a live CD/USB like systemrescuecd and let it repair your filesystem (fsck ...).

• Is OMV a good choice for me?

DHGE - - My NAS Build

Nextcloud can certainly do it. For me it is a bit too much. I use syncthing for my document and baikal for my PIM data (the latter not maintained any more). Syncthing is straightforward with its OMV plugin. I have uploaded my Baikal guide to this forum. For external access I use a VPN through my router. This is transparent to OMV. The more RAM the better. I use 2 GBytes ODROID HC1 and a XU4 with powerd USB harddrive as backup. A Rock64 is similar -> dietpi.com/#download I even started with a Ras…

• Slow Write Speed on Raspberyy Pi 3 b+

DHGE - - CIFS/SMB

Your only solution is better hardware. I started with a Raspi (knowing the specs but it was fun to learn) and I am now on an Odroid HC1. Depending on your external storage: many can be disassembled (e.g. I buy Seagate external drives and take them apart since buying a single 4TB 2.5" Seagate drive costs me more). Check if you got a standard drive! Then depending on the size of your disk either get a HC1 or HC2. For backup I use an ODROID XU4 with external USB drive (3.5" with its own power suppl…

• How to clean recycle

DHGE - - General

look up the commands df and du to find what is there. With mc you can comfortably move around your filesystem on the console. It is not the best idea to delete anything outside your shared folders manually. Not too useful on OMV: bleachbit apt-get clean deletes a lot of downloaded deb-files

• Interessant wäre zu wissen, was für ein System Du hast. Die GBytes-Werte sind ja nun nicht riesig in late 2018... Dann würde ich mir die logs einmal anschauen. mc ist ein schönes Programm u.a. dafür. Normalerweise werden die rechtzeitig per logrotate (daran kann man auch drehen) verkleinert. Irgendein Fehlerprozess scheint die ja vollzumüllen. Das gehört behoben. Mit gparted kann man die Partitionen in der Größe verändern. Von der Kommandozeile ist das für einen Anfänger nicht einfach.

• Root login issue

DHGE - - General

on the console (ssh login): mount df -h These commands show you what is mounted and how the space on the mounted partitions is used.

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

DHGE - - General

@alexruedi virtualbox.org/wiki/Porting_VirtualBox Building it on arm architecture?

• Reinstall of OMV due to a dead drive

DHGE - - General

Windows 10 is not a solution to look at Linux filesystems. You better get a CD image like systemrescuecd and boot this up, try to mount readonly what is on the kaputt disk and save the readable files to another disk. It might be a good idea to get help from someone who has done this before and is well versed in the Linux ecosystem.

• OMV not accessible after a few days

DHGE - - General

look at the files in /var/log use mc for this if working via ssh you can also view the log files via the web gui but this is more time consuming IMO

• LUKS disk encryption plugin

DHGE - - Plugins

Quote from eenca: “I can unlock on the GUI and I have the password saved in my password manager. What does it have to do with my sudoer file? ” It has nothing to do with your sudoers file - my fault (I read PATH... and "command not found"). Try it on the console. A wild guess: Your password contains characters that are not parsed properly, e.g. *

• Best Backup Method

DHGE - - General

@porkenstein I also seem to have the same requirements/stuff you have and about 2 TBytes. my setup: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=31812&p=230918#p230918

• LUKS disk encryption plugin

DHGE - - Plugins

@eenca Your sudo user does not get the correct path set. Edit the sudoers file to set a path or work as root. If you do not know your password you are FUBAR. The correct command is (man cryptsetup): cryptsetup luksOpen <device> <name> to add a key (you need THE PASSWORD) cryptsetup luksAddKey <device> [<key file with new key>]

• Source Code (21 lines)I really doubt that advertising the server less helps the clients to find it. inotify helps. This does not work with every operating system.

• @glen_cqu What you did is not a "solution". see stackoverflow.com/questions/51…abase-not-being-refreshed and there the answer from unode You can stop/restart the minidlna service from the OMV admin web in your browser. You delete the database (everything in /var/cache will be recreated) by logging via ssh into your server, become root and then delete the file or directory in /var/cache

• General storage and encryption questions

DHGE - - General

1 yes 2 luks en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup 3 follow some links found in the wikipedia article 4 yes but RAID and drive cloning? I would rather save the configuration files and document my config and sync/mirror the data or use rsnapshot as backup

• Quote from mannerju: “One more question: I undrestood that rsync is automatically making "incremental backup" so it will only copy new files from source folder? I also read about this syncthing, but I am afraid Netgear Stora is too limited for that. Might be good solution for more advanced NAS boxes. ” Really do yourself a favor and read the man rsync. It is long but also comes with some examples at the end. Or do a websearch on HOWTO rsync Be aware that you can configure rsync that it does not …

• I use syncthing on all my devices that have valuable data on it. The questions I can not answer: I there a plugin available for your Netgear Stora? Can you install it via commandline alternatively? syncthing.net/

• I use rsync for that. You need a user that can ssh to the backup device (use ssh-copy-id after confirming it works). Then I use a file for the tasks named rsdeltargetname.sh Shell-Script (27 lines)I run these jobs occasionally via commandline. For continous syncing I use syncthing.