Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Quote from geaves: “My W10 laptop has decided not to boot can't find boot device, gotta run chkdsk as I can't get spinrite to run. ” That doesn't sound good. Spinrite won't run - a drive controller issue? I attempted to reload my wife's slow laptop and consistently got I/O errors. It's not even worth fooling with it. The new one is on the way. ______________________________ In the way of minor annoyances, my theater PC's (i5) CPU fan is a bit "loud", so I bought an Intel fan/heatsink combo. Whil…

• If you're interested in drive-to-drive Rsync, the setup is in this guide, starting on page 61. This setup will create a full mirror on a second drive. Please read the cautions carefully and consider leaving the --delete switch out of the command line, until you have two full copies on your hard drives. (Depending how much data is in the initial copy, it may take some time.) After the initial copy is complete, if automating the Rsync job AND using the --delete switch, consider using a backup inte…

• How to Setup Snapraid

flmaxey - - RAID

Quote from mneese: “thanks for the advice...for future reference, what may be the preferred method to go from raid five to snapraid? 1. new omv install, setup snapraid, erasing existing raid, populate with backups.... 2. new omv install, setup snapraid using exsting raid five disks Will new snapraid recognize and use the old raid five in any way? ” 1. Yes. Format each individual drive and it you want a "RAID like" array, UnionFS can be used to combine a few disks together under a common mount po…

• How to Setup Snapraid

flmaxey - - RAID

Quote from mneese: “thanks for the advice...for future reference, what may be the preferred method to go from raid five to snapraid? 1. new omv install, setup snapraid, erasing existing raid, populate with backups.... 2. new omv install, setup snapraid using exsting raid five disks Will new snapraid recognize and use the old raid five in any way? ” 1. Yes. Format each individual drive and it you want a "RAID" like array, UnionFS will combine a few disks together under a common mount point. Other…

• Docker error for unknown service

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from kmal808: “Roger that ” Sorry 'bout that. Oh, and for the loss of sleep as well.

flmaxey - - Plugins

Well , yeah, there are usually several ways to skin the cat but purge should have worked. On the other hand, (again) the Docker problem could be just the most visible symptom of something else that's gone wrong. Do you want find out, down the road, that something else is awry? (Like a file system utility?) You know for a fact that, after a power outage, Docker is doing odd things. Without knowing precisely why, rebuilding to fix it all (even the issues that are not visible, yet) is the prudent c…

• No space left mergeFS

flmaxey - - General

The fastest way to do it would be midnight commander. apt-get install mc Then mc midnight commander works left to right. Whats in the left hand window will be copied to the right. After rebalancing your storage, you might want to consider a storage policy change.

flmaxey - - Plugins

The messages aren't consistent. You might be going down a rabbit hole. The only way to be sure, would be a rebuild.

• Quote from JakRuzL: “I use a Win10 laptop for work. I have a raspberry pi 3b and 2 500G (western digital I believe) drives with nothing on them. All I really want is to have multiple locations of the same set of files for redundancy just incase I lose access to one of the drives due to failure or if one of the drives needs disconnected and sent to my home office quickly. Obviously, I prefer not to have to copy file manually everywhere. In my mind I see 2 different workflows which would be reason…

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from kmal808: “2 week old baby, spare time and sleep are a thing of the past ) ” Oh man ,,, good luck with that! Actually, it's not all the bad. Don't get me wrong, now it will seem to be pretty bad, but it gets better later.

flmaxey - - Plugins

Choices are narrowing... (An UPS's looks like a great investment at this point.) ("Leases" is in the error message. Usually that's a DHCP function, but Docker has it's own internal IP network and I've never looked that far into it. "Leases not implemented" in the Docker context might mean that Docker has no control over running containers or there's something wrong with the IP stack.) ___________________________________________________________ Docker can be force purged on the command line as fo…

• pcie video card

flmaxey - - General

There are two types of Mobo's - those with integrated video output and those without a video output. Those without a video output generally (not always) need a video card just to boot. This is idle speculation but, something about installing the ssd changed operating parameters in BIOS. (There are several BIOS versions out there, all of them different.) While it may be a curiosity item, you have two working choices; go back to your original profile (before the ssd) or leave the video card in. If…

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from kmal808: “I tried creating a container via the CLI and got the same error. Would the OMV docker plugin have any bearing over that? ” This is speculation but I would say "generically" NO. The Docker plugin, for all intents an purposes, is truly a lens into what is happening on the command line. (And as we all know, even with Windows, the graphical stuff is Dev's being kind enough to show us what is going on in the background.) Still, with solid OS backup in hand (so backing out is poss…

• Quote from Markess: “Other some drives, most of my OMV and home server hardware is used or repurposed. Besides the cost savings, using something a generation or two "old" (even if its bought "new" on Ebay or Craigslist or etc.), ensures better compatibility with the Debian Linux running underneath OMV itself. ” This is a very salient point that many users miss; if one wants to use Linux (saving hundreds to thousands on software costs) AND wants a high performance server, the Linux kernel must be…

• Plex datbase location

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Well, that's a series of requests/questions that might be best answered by one of our foremost Plex experts "Ta-da!", @gderf. (Respect, @gderf, and apologies. This is just a referral.)

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from kmal808: “I was planning on buying a ups after I built my server, but I’m moving from Hawaii to the mainland in a few months and am trying to keep the amount of stuff involved in the move to a minimum. ” As we sort through the variables in life, certain trade-offs must to be made. Perhaps "moving" combined with a "stable (UPS backed) server" is a challenge? I can "sympathize". Unfortunately, electronics and operating systems are not so sympathetic..?? BTW: "Docker" installs to the hos…

flmaxey - - Plugins

Quote from kmal808: “Howdy, I had a power outage today and the server restart, cannot access docker container web ui's. ” Look at this as a sign - invest in an UPS. (It doesn't have to cost much -> UPS.) Quote from kmal808: “If I need to reinstall docker, what is the recommended method? I can’t find any info on this error shown above.I would start withm uninstalling the docker ” I would start with, uninstalling the docker plugin. (Reboot) Check your upgrade status and install any needed upgrades…

• Quote from Kai: “Doesn't it bother you to buy someone else's stuff??? I am always a little hesitant to buy something used and get stuck with a bad purchase. ” My short answer is "No". It's about knowing something about what you're buying. (Knowledge comes from "research" and "experience", I'd argue in equal parts, but extremes in one can compensate for deficiencies in the other.) As is it with beauty, "value" is in the eye of the beholder. I have a server platform, with SOLID server grade hardwa…

• Quote from randomthoughts: “The server has one drive and there's no option to add a second, am I wasting my time? ” It depends on how far you're willing to take it. (I mean,, there's no other way to describe it.) OMV doesn't allow data into it's "partition". (This is not a bad thing - it's a design concept that makes sense in server design. In any case,,,) OMV's "partition" only needs to be 16GB in size. Notionally, that would be /dev/sda1. You can have, potentially, several partitions in the sa…

• Login is: User: admin password: openmediavault While it may be on the basic side for you, take a look at this guide for initial setup.