Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 24.

• I'm pretty sure this is Windows at fault as My Linux Mint connects superbly and so does my Android phone. Spec first. Old Gygabyte motherboard as server with a 2.8 core 2 duo processor. Connected via cat5e cable to 24 port switch. 24 port switch connected to Hub(Router) using Cat5e cable My wife's Windows 10 with SSD connected to switch using Cat5e cable. When she open the file explorer it hangs on a white screen. Sometimes the PC has to be restarted to get the file explorer to complete. It is a…

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Thankyou for all your help everyone (You know who you are!) I am so pleased with OMV and love the speed of file access. Only have one problem which I believe is Windows as opposed to OMV. Heading over to general to post about it. Best Regards James

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Quote from ryecoaaron: “For 3am everyday, you want 0 in the minute box, 3 in the hour box, and star ( * ) in the other boxes with none of the "Every" sliders enabled (all should be gray). ” Hiya, all done and job run so that I have a backup asap. Amazed at how quick it was!! Is there a way of testing or seeing that the job has run successfully like a system log or something. Just got the Rsnaphot to the backup drive now. I see your in Wisconsin - Bit of a time difference - I'm in Kent in England…

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Hi again, I've deleted the module thanks and worked out why it would not save a job. I do not understand the N days bit and had not completed the information correctly. How do I get it to sync every day at 3 in the morning. I've done o for minutes 03 for hours then on month i've put 1 as it required a number and I've checked the every N day of the month. Will this do everyday?

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from Currymunster: “Also can I point out that my server is not being used as a backup. the data on it is the primary copy used and shared between 7 computers. ” Here is what I think you should do (obviously it is generic) but should work for most home/small business setups: Drive #1 - primary copy of files - shared via samba as SHARE1 Drive #2 - secondary copy that is sync'd by rsync (could be sync'd every minute if you need it) - shared via samba as SHARE2 and set …

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Quote from ryecoaaron: “1 - What kind of raid is it? Do you have backup? ” Not 100% sure but I set it up using OMV. It was called a RAID Mirror using three 500gb HDDs No I do not have a back up yet but there is only 8gb on it at the mo so I will back it up to my laptop tonight.

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from Currymunster: “out of curiosity - whats the point of a raid system ” Availability or 'business continuity'. A drive fails but there's no business disruption. The whole RAID concept is BS if you don't use server grade hardware (UPS included) and do monitoring. In other words: In home/SOHO environments RAID just provides better feelings for exactly no reason ('I did something wrt redundancy' -- worthless). Better forget about availability and care about data protect…

• Duplicati

Currymunster - - General

Extras are now installed and Duplicati is on the plugins list. I'm not going to do it just yet though as I think sorting the hard drives out is a priority.

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

So you are suggesting that the 3 x 500gb drives i have set up as a mirror raid would be better used as backups still in the same tower using rsnapshot which can be scheduled to pretty much anything? sounds like a good idea? out of curiosity - whats the point of a raid system. I did a job two years ago for a network admin guy and he sung there praises. he was a top manager guy for some company that he maintained all their computers and networks over 6 offices in the uk. He's garage was full or se…

• Duplicati

Currymunster - - General

Just checked and it's not installed - Thumbs down! I'll check out the link you sent me - Thumbs up!

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

I see - I run a business from home and need certain files to complete invoices, send them and type up quotes so I need it all the time so I'm guessing the RAID Mirror is a good option. However, I do have other files like photos, music and video as well as pdf's which needs to be backed up. So I was thinking that using duplicati was a good option with it stored off site in the cloud. The RAID Mirror is three 500gb by the way. The rsync sounds good but I assume I would need another backup sauce fo…

• Duplicati

Currymunster - - General

Ooo - you've answered here too -Thanks!! I don't know i'm afraid, I have a list of plugins but i don't know if that is the extras? sorry to be so OMV illiterate!! How do I tell?? James

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Thanks for your answers. I was on the assumption that if one drive failed you had a fail safe so in a way its backed up?? I am also planning to use duplicati to back up to the cloud?? I don't understand what redundancy means in this situation?? If not a backup what is the point of a mirror(realtime mirroring) Is rsync a software for something?? sorry for all the questions. Just trying to learn as my server 2008 crashed which killed one of the data drives and I dont want that again. Unfortunately…

• Raid Mirror

Currymunster - - RAID

Hi everyone, New to OMV and Raid. Never had one before so please - go easy on me. Just a few questions please? 1 - If the system boot disk fails can I just reinstall and the 3 disk raid will still be there and recognised? 2 - If one of the raid disks fail what happens. can i still access my data and do i just fit a new one and it syncs it for me? 3 - when my 3 500gb hdd have run out of space can i increase to a 1tb or 2tb system easily? Many Thanks James

• Duplicati

Currymunster - - General

New to linux and new to OMV. Doing well with my migration from server 2008. Really confused with Duplicati. I cant see it in the plugins list so please, How do I install it. I've already lost an 80gb disk when server 2008 died. the system disk failed which caused a shutdown which caused the head assembly to crash. Got a like for like on order so i can hopefully make 1 good 1 out of them both!! Going over to the raid section now to ask another question. Many Thanks James

• Folder Permissions

Currymunster - - CIFS/SMB

Thanks for explaining that. I have news too. It's solved!! although i did not do anything, I just approached it from a different angle(One of my children's laptops to be precise) I deleted all but the three top level folders (Business,Family and Homework) I then went into my Linux Mint file explorer and right clicked to create the five folders in the homework folder. no success. I then decided to set up the ACL's - Still no success even though I'd ticked for my user to have no access. I then tho…

• Folder Permissions

It seems to have fixed its self after a reboot and now all updates are done and finished. back to the folders and I still need to see the videos.

• Folder Permissions

That worked a treat but threw up another fault. invalid rpc - error report below. Error #0:OMV\Rpc\Exception: Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:186Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('System', 'getInformation', Array, Array, 3)#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#2 {main} Also - I understand the dns and finally found after scrolling dow…

• Folder Permissions

you may well be right. it's a static ip address. i've put the netmask in but could not find where to put the gateway in - ie the routers address. Ive taken a screen shot of the error and hope it works on here?? screenshots.firefox.com/6ZLqzpuew4E11smv/192.168.0.20

• Folder Permissions

Hi Macom again, I'm getting frustrated with this now. I have not looked at any videos and have just worked it out by trial and error. i will have a look. so far i've installed it to replace server 2008 on my own and set up 7 users on one group. I've set up the three hard drives on raid using mirror on my own and i've never done that before. there is an issue with the updates not working which i dont understand so i may try sudo apt-get update from the command line. as regards the folders i am us…