Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 901.

• pci-e sata ata card

KM0201 - - My NAS Build

While I can't recommend one specifically, LSI usually has a pretty solid reputation for Linux support (they can also get pretty pricey)

• Quote from Kai: “Quote from KM0201: “Quote from Kai: “Also forum, I hate to throw this into the mix but it came to my mind last night. What if I wanted to get acquainted with Linux - could I install the Linux OS also and have it running with OMV4? Would the Linux OS need to be on it's own drive? ” It's not the most user friendly experience for someone very new to desktop Linux . . . ” Thanks, from what you're saying I think I'd better cut down on the added drama and stay with getting OMV4 under …

• One other comment regarding the motherboard you're selecting. The Realtek card that is on that board.... I don't like it. I have the 8111 on my current machine... I found it had 2 annoying issues. 1. Slow network transfers, and 2. (Far more annoying).. It would never shut down properly. It took a while, but I eventually isolated it to where if I used WOL to wake up my NAS, then when I went to shutdown, the machine would not shutdown, it would reboot. I would then shutdown again, and the machine …

• A Virtual Machine is a good alternative to dual booting, if you have a machine fast enough to handle two full OS's. Since I'm a cheap rat bastard and pretty much always buy my laptops that are in the "yesteryear" aisle of Wal Mart... Virtual Machines can be a bit frustrating (hell Windows can be frustrating, but Debian usually flies on them).

• Quote from Kai: “Also forum, I hate to throw this into the mix but it came to my mind last night. What if I wanted to get acquainted with Linux - could I install the Linux OS also and have it running with OMV4? Would the Linux OS need to be on it's own drive? ” In theory (I've never done it)... You could install the current, full version of Debian (Stretch) that OMV is based on... and install OMV on top of that.. just keep in mind this will cause quite a bit more overhead on the server for a lot…

• Quote from Kai: “Quote from KM0201: “My thinking right now is to get an adapter to run a 2.5in SSD of an internal USB 3.0 header. ” KM0201 - would you mind detailing that scenario and what I would need to do to set up that configuration on the inside of my Mid ATX tower? ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard. ” Sure.. The case I'm selecting, only has USB 2.0 on the front anyway, so the USB 3.0 header will be unused. Keep this in mind if you have USB 3.0 on the front of the chassis that you want to use, …

• I'm putting a parts list together as it's time for a rebuild. This one has served me well for almost 6yrs.. I changed the chassis @ 4yrs ago, and now I'm really wanting a 4 bay hot swap. Last time I considered a hot swap chassis, and ultimately decided against it and kind of regret it. Anyway, one thing I'm noticing as there is a significant cost difference between motherboards with 4 and 6 sata ports, and all the M2 drives, seem to disable one of the SATA ports, which makes it kinda pointless f…

• Quote from syrusstk: “Quote from KM0201: “People have tried theme changers in the past, but this is the most successful attempt. There's one thing on yours that I really appreciate, and that is the bold font. Well done. ” I was actually thinking about adding some customisation to font (size, weight probably colour too ), also want to use google fonts too, will probably work on this this week or next week nothing going on at work this days :)) ” Be interested to see that... to be honest, I've alw…

• People have tried theme changers in the past, but this is the most successful attempt. There's one thing on yours that I really appreciate, and that is the bold font. Well done.

• If you know you're moving everything, and depending on the file structure.. rsync would be my choice. (I use it quite a bit) Mine is pretty simple.. All my folders, files, etc. Are under one folder... (/sharedfolders/Disk_1). That would be my source folder, in this case the ntfs drive. If you have a bunch of files, folders, etc it might make this less efficient, as I'm not sure how to share root directory from the webui, but should be easy enough from command line with some Google foo. Set your …

• Quote from kiwijunglist: “thank you. can i setup omv on my 500gb drive and then buy a small ssd, then migrate the whole system drive to another drive and use that as my system drive in the future? ” You can set up a share on your system drive, it's just not allowed by default (and frankly, I think that's a good thing). If you search around you'll find info on how to partition your drive and set up a share on your OS drive. As for backing up... You'd probably have to clone the drive (clonezilla) …

• Read floppies directly from OMV

KM0201 - - General

I get what you're trying to do, and I know it's not what you asked... but this makes absolutely zero sense to me. A 16gig flash drive (which can be had cheap).. is the equivalent of over 11k floppy disks. Wouldn't it make more sense to move your data to a much more commonly used format, that you could use on virtually any computer you happen to come across? Looking online, 16gig flash drives are between $4 and $7, for some pretty popular brands. You could take 1, 16gig flash drive.. create folde…

• Quote from akurzawa: “OMG is this a joke? This is the failure of this system. Wow I didn't expected that - I've working on numerous file system appliances, but I can't remember that any of them would not have ability to save and restore config. I was planning to put OMV on production but I need to reconsider that - previously I was thinking of FreeNas - which of course have ability to backup and restore config. Omg I can't believe that programmers of OMV didn't think of creating/restoring config…

• Assuming your hardware is good.. Did you check the ISO's integrity? How did you write the ISO to the USB? Assuming that checks out.. I'd try installing Debian 9 from the official netinst iso, make sure the system is up to date, then install OMV on top of it. The end result will be the same, just a longer way of going about it. The current OMV 4 ISO was published in March 2018, while the latest Debian 9.6 ISO's were put up on Nov 10. Get the netinst ISO you need and put it on the USB drive. I'm a…

• Quote from EngineWong: “Pls advise for me action below: 1. Add a new User in OMV web page 2. Enable it for SSH 3. Login as new user in SSH 4. Enable root and change rrot password ” 1. Create a user under the "users" section of the webUI (remember usernames are case sensitive) 2. Choose your shell (I prefer /bin/bash) 2. In the user creation window, click the Groups tab 3. Make sure "SSH" is checked 4. Save and apply settings for the new user 5. SSH the server as your new username and enter the p…

• Not super familiar w/ the Pi version, but under SSH, do you have "Specifies whether it is allowed to login as superuser." enabled? If I'm not mistaken, this is disabled by default... SSH as root is really bad practice IMO.. You should create a user, SSH as a user, then change to root if/when needed.

• rsync interval setting issue

KM0201 - - RSync

The scheduling is weird.. If you set the "hours" to 1, and the Minutes to "0"... it will check once every hour at the top of the hour. If you set the hour to "1" and the Minutes to "5", IIRC, it will check every 5min for an hour (then start over at the next hour if I guess). By setting the hour to "1" and leaving the minute at *, it is just checking over and over.

• Private Cloud auf OMV?

KM0201 - - General

Never used Nextcloud... just saying Seafile is very easy to setup if you follow the tutorial.

• Private Cloud auf OMV?

KM0201 - - General

The thread here on the forum for setting up Seafile, is excellent. It started off a little rough but several of us worked through some of the minor issues, and it ended up really working out. Setting up access over the Internet is easy How to install Seafile with MySQL and SSL

• OMV Wont startup

KM0201 - - General

Are you sure the flash drive is good? A lot of times on stuff like this, it's a flaky flash drive causing the issue.