Search Results

Search results 1-10 of 10.

• Quote from votdev: “You can already customize this values via environment variables ” Correct, but that would change them for /all/ shares I believe? I'm not quite sure what webmin is or what Qnap or Thecus etc offer in this regard, but given that Samba give "create mask" a share scope (vs global) I'm guessing they figured setting it on a per share basis would hold value. Re Synology, I was actually trying to emulate its "admins can access all user's homes" functionality which it does offer out …

• Currently per share masks are configured globally, as per the 20shares file: -o "create mask = ${OMV_SAMBA_SHARE_CREATEMASK}" -n \ -o "force create mode = ${OMV_SAMBA_SHARE_FORCECREATEMODE}" -n \ -o "directory mask = ${OMV_SAMBA_SHARE_DIRECTORYMASK}" -n \ -o "force directory mode = ${OMV_SAMBA_SHARE_FORCEDIRECTORYMODE}" -n \ Currently adding the same directives in "extra options" will override these, but only because they might possibly come after the above. It might prove useful to specifically…

• Default/empty privileges

sshaikh - - CIFS/SMB

Okay, so a vacuous group to which we manually add new members by default, and leave the "users" system group as an internal mechanism. I guess this is the most prudent and correct approach to take, and also solves the "absent privileges" issue as long as you always set an appropriate on shared folders creation - perhaps enforcing this can be an idea. Thanks for the insight.

sshaikh - - CIFS/SMB

So I guess the best practise is to always assign some privilege (even if they are redundant)? In that vein, how can we use the "users" group in privileges? For example if we want to restrict a share to read only for everyone?

sshaikh - - CIFS/SMB

Am I correct in seeing that if you don't set any privileges, then the default samba share will allow everyone r/w (filesystem perms notwithstanding)? Programmatically I can see why nothing set --> no directives created in the smb.conf, but it also seems strange that: no privileges on folder --> both foo and bar have r/w to folder foo rw on folder --> no change to foo's access, but bar no longer has any access It also means that when adding a new user they would automatically get access to folder…

• OMV User Homes clarification

sshaikh - - CIFS/SMB

Regardless of which file level permissions one creates the user home directory root folder, the actual user folders themselves are always created with rwx r-x r-x, the idea being that privileges and dynamic shares are used to control access for users to their respective homes. This also allows for a "administrator" group that, for example, can access everyone's home. However, from what I can tell this also means that any user can simply ssh into the box and have read access to everyone's home to…

• Thanks for the tip. In the meantime I've found an even easier way - the webui's shared folders entry allows Samba placeholders. In other words: 1. Create a Shared Folder with a path: "omvhomes/%U/" and name "home" 2. Add this as an SMB share Each user then gets a dynamic SMB share to their user directory called home. In fact, you probably don't even need the "Home directories" option in SMB/CIFS any more (although I'll probably migrate to the more native solution eventually). My only question is…

• I've managed to do what I want by adding the following share to smb.conf, copied from a more vanilla share I created. [home] path = /srv/dev-disk-by-label/omvhomes/%U guest ok = no read only = no browseable = yes inherit acls = yes inherit permissions = no ea support = no store dos attributes = no vfs objects = printable = no create mask = 0664 force create mode = 0664 directory mask = 0775 force directory mode = 0775 hide special files = yes follow symlinks = yes hide dot files = yes valid user…

• You are absolutely correct. The option in question is available under SMB/CIFS -> Home directories. Enabling this gives me both "homes" and "username" shares as expected, each mapped to ./homes/<username> I would love to have a "home" (singular) directory as well as (or even instead of) "homes" - could this be configurable somewhere? EDIT: I see that this is a SAMBA issue, so will take it there and report back on how/if I have fixed it EDIT2: Samba doesn't appear to support this, so I'll mark th…

• I have some questions about how home directories are presented. Coming from Synology, enabling home directories does the following: 1. Creates a "homes" directory in the data root. 2. Creates <username> directories in the homes directory created above. 3. Presents the share \\nas\homes mapped to <data root>/homes to administrators who can browse all the sub home directories. 4. Presents the share \\nas\home mapped to <data root>/homes/<username> to each respective user (who ordinarily will not b…