Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 86.

• My Odroid HC2 has just arrived, along with the two identical 32GB SD cards, that I intend to use for the OMV. What is the best way to keep them cloned so that if one suddenly fails, I can quickly slip in the replacement? Should I physically remove the card (say, once a week), clone it with the second via a laptop and then replace it or is there a way to automatically update the card to my backup server?

• Bit of an update - from my research, it would seem that TVHeadend mainly operates in RAM and users have noticed little impact on their SD cards. One other thing I forgot to mention is that I also use my current server to host a MYSQL database, that is shared by all my Kodi clients, to sync watched statuses. I am guessing that this is going to have negligible impact on the SD card either.

• Thanks guys. Agreed - if I start adding a separate hard drive, I am going against the whole point of the HC2. I will have a look at the TVHeadend forum to see how easy it would be to put the EPG data on the disk itself.

• Thanks for that - would it perhaps be possible to instead run OMV off an SSD, connected to the USB port on the HC2?

• Sorry, could I just ask one more thing, please? I should have said that I intend to install TVHeadend on the HC2. Is this going to cause unnecessary wear to the SD card? At the moment, in my current server, the OMV runs off an SSD. I use a webgrabber for my EPG (from Schedules Direct), which includes quite a bit of information - is this going to be a problem?

• Quote from Adoby: “I've given names to my HC2s. ctrl has a 512GB Samsung SSD and runs Armbian and is used to run various software and access media and other data from nas1 and nas2. nas1 and nas2 both have 12TB Ironwolf HDDs and are used for media, documents and snapshots of other clients. nas3 and nas4 both have 8TB HDDs and are used for backups of important folders on nas1 and nas2. The shares on nas1-nas4 are named nas1-nas4. And IP:s are 192.168.1.100 for ctrl and 101-104 for nas1-nas4. Make…

• I shall definitely have a look at doing the same with the clock speed, when everything is set up - every little helps. Out of interest what is ctrl? I am trying to find the exact cards that you are using, but they don't seem to do exactly what you have: mymemory.co.uk/memory.html?app…3074&brand=18&capacity=26 It seems that MicroSDXC only starts at 64GB.

• That is great - thanks for that. Really good idea to get two identical SD cards - once everything is set up, I shall clone the second one. Is it advisable to periodically swap them over? When looking at which HDD to get, is it worth considering power usage? I am planning to have it spin down, when not in use, but it seems that there is quite a difference, between models, in terms of active and idle wattages.

• I love your dedication to this - really nice setup. I have decided to take the plunge and am just about to order the HC2 and power supply from Odroid UK. May I ask what SD card you are using for OMV? Also, do you think it is worth buying the case as well?

• Thanks Adoby - I have decided to go with the switch that you have. Looks perfect.

• Thanks Adoby. I really hadn't thought about that - what do you think the difference in wattage might be between a 16 port and 24? If it is a couple of watts, that would be fine, but if it is considerably more, I might have to reconsider whether future proofing is worth it.

• Hello. As per the title, my 8-port switch no longer has enough ports and am thinking about something with 24 ports for future proofing. There are quite a few on the market and I would be grateful for any recommendations. My only real requirements are that I would prefer a desktop device (as opposed to a rack), that it is fanless and has a low energy footprint. I also do not need PoE. I have come accross a couple that might fit the bill: Zyxel GS1100-24E 24 port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch | Ebuyer.…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from elsmandino: “really had not considered this ” BTW: Software support is also an issue with really energy efficient x86 designs (to be used as SBC). Recently checked situation with my old UP Board using an Intel Atom: forum.armbian.com/topic/8046-u…formance-compared-to-arm/Quote from elsmandino: “As you say, the HC2 is the perfect choice in this respect. How mature is software support for the Helios4? ” HC2 is far from being perfect (both network and storage are con…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from elsmandino: “I guess it is the age-old issue of there always being a new bit of tech on the horizon and whether you should wait ” Hmm... I don't agree given that good software support in the ARM world unfortunately gets the better the older the SoC. ” Excellent point - really had not considered this. Given that the amount of time I have spent trying to get things to work, I really want something that just works out of the box. As you say, the HC2 is the perfect ch…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Quote from elsmandino: “I should have said that the N2 should be interesting ” they chose a shitty SoC vendor instead of a good one (sharing information freely). ” Hmm - not good. I will have to await the official release (and the dust to settle) before considering all the options. I guess it is the age-old issue of there always being a new bit of tech on the horizon and whether you should wait - the HC2 (based upon all the reviews/advice you have offered on here) already mo…

• Sorry - that particular phrase was rather misleading. I should have said that the N2 should be interesting. I have been keeping a close eye on the Odroid forums and everything I have read is pure speculation at the moment - they seem to be very good and preventing any information at all, from getting out.

• I am in a very similar position. I currently use a big noisy server, containing lots of smaller-sized hard drives. tkaiser recommended going down the exact same route as you (i.e. an HC2 with a single huge hard drive), although he does also recommend the Helios4. The Helios4 has the advantage of your not having to buy a single hard drive that is disproportionately expensive - it can take four hard drives, so you could spend less on 2 6TB hard drives as opposed to a single 12TB hard drive. The ot…

• Quote from Adoby: “ I have four more HC2 on the way. Will use them for backups and experimenting. I may stay with the HC2 "server format". Also I got a 12V 20A PSU, enough for at least 8 x HC2, one 16 port gigabit switch and a WiFi mesh unit. Not a single fan anywhere! Everything 12V so one plug for everything. Thinking about putting everything in an white Billy IKEA bookcase, with glass doors, and drill some holes in the back of the shelves to allow air to rise and cool using the chimney effect…

• Hello, I would be really grateful for some advice on what to do to improve my setup. Here is what I currently have: NAS G1840 MSI B85M-E45 12GB RAM (2x4GB and 2x2GB) 1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD - for OMV 2 x 2TB Samsung F4 Harddrives 1 x 6TB WD Red Harddrive Superflower Golden Green 350w PSU Xigmatek Midgard Tower with 1 x 140mm exhaust fan and 1 x 120mm intake fan. Desktop PC i3-2105 MSI H61MA-E35 Antec NSK2480 Case 2 x 4GB RAM 60GB Sandisk Ultra SSD (for Linux Mint) 12GB Samsung SSD (for Windows) …

• Quote from macom: “This post and the complete thread might be interesting for you Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose? Quote from elsmandino: “If your Q1900DC-ITX broke, what do you think you would replace it with? ” I am glad I do not have to ask this question to myself I propose you open a new thread, describe what you want to achieve and ask for feedback. Important to describe what you want to do with your NAS. Pure storage, or web server, or media server and so on. ” Thanks macom -…