Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 252.

• I also only use offline backups of my SD cards. I practice I use my Linux laptop with a SD card reader and some scripts to read or write cards. I talk about it in this thread: New to OMV and Linux There are many other tools and methods. But you need a SD card reader and the ability to clone the card. Either as a whole or in parts. I also use a Brother label printer to make labels I stick to the SD cards and to the HC2s to keep track of what card goes to what HC2, ctrl, nas1-nas4. You can imagine…

• It seems that you are not connected to the internet. Or at least not using a working DNS.

• Quote from elsmandino: “Thanks for that - would it perhaps be possible to instead run OMV off an SSD, connected to the USB port on the HC2? ” Sure, that might work. You still need the SD-card for boot and it may be a bit fiddly (= I wouldn't even consider trying) to move the root filesystem from the card to a USB drive. But I advice against it if you can move variable data from the card to the HDD instead. USB is not very reliable. The connectors may get bumped by mistake. You might need an extr…

• You should avoid using the SD-card for data that can change a lot. Like metadata for media, downloads, EPGs or databases. It is usually possible to change settings in the apps so that they store downloads/database/logs or other often changing stuff, in a folder on the HDD. If it is not possible to change the settings in the app, it is usually possible to figure out where the app store variable data. Then you can move that folder to the HDD and place a link to the new location instead of the move…

• You stated earlier that you wanted a compact, quiet and low power solution. A multi disk solution is not compact, quiet or low power compared to a single disk solution. It might be a good idea to build a multi disk NAS with several big disks to provide very high capacity NAS. But it seems rather daft to build a multi disk NAS with small disks. Especially if you want a compact, quiet and low power solution. Then a single disk solution with a big disk would make more sense.

• Problems along the way... Today my setup is very stable. I just check the snapshot folders on nas3 and nas4 to verify that everything is backed up OK. But there were some nasty problems along the way. There were problems with the SATA firmware. There were nasty clicks and clanks when the HDD was parked. And a bad counter in SMART were increased every time. This was fixed by updating the firmware for the USB/SATA bridge. Now I believe that new HC2s already has updated USB/SATA firmware. Also I ha…

• I've given names to my HC2s. ctrl has a 512GB Samsung SSD and runs Armbian and is used to run various software and access media and other data from nas1 and nas2. nas1 and nas2 both have 12TB Ironwolf HDDs and are used for media, documents and snapshots of other clients. nas3 and nas4 both have 8TB HDDs and are used for backups of important folders on nas1 and nas2. The shares on nas1-nas4 are named nas1-nas4. And IP:s are 192.168.1.100 for ctrl and 101-104 for nas1-nas4. Makes things easy to ke…

• Sure, power is important. I even reduced the clock speed on nas1-nas4 a little. They can still fully saturate GbE. With a lower clock speed the HC2 uses a little less power. And run a little cooler. I got this from some posts by @tkaiser. But for ctrl I run at full speed...

• Hardware suggestions for a mini NAS?

Adoby - - My NAS Build

Buy USB 3 cases or a dock for the HDDs you have and use them for external offsite backups. Then buy a ODROID HC2 and a 8-14 TB 3,5" NAS HDD.

• I started off using Transcend 16GB Premium microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I. Then I figured out I needed at least two cards per HC2, for backups, and got some better Sandisk Ultra 32GB microsSDXC Class 10 U1, A1, FFP cards. Both types of cards works fine. I have seen several recommendations to only use A1 cards... The cards are hardly utilized at all in my setup, For ctrl I only use the boot-partition and have the root fs on the SSD. I have one case, but it is not in use. Since I have my HC2s behind gla…

• So I got gifted an XU4Q

Adoby - - General

How about putting a family photo vault on it? Allow family and relatives to upload and download family photos. Could be useful for your sister and be fun for your parents if they can view the photos on their TV. And you may even involve your nephew. I scanned some boxes of slides. Mostly pictures taken by my father on family events and gatherings. Also from relatives events that we attended. My father passed away a year ago and I was able to give away a couple of USB sticks to family and relativ…

• Rsnapshot and speed?

Adoby - - RSync

An initial rsync snapshot takes time. Using a very slow external USB connected HDD it is even slower. But subsequent snapshots should be much faster when only modified files need to be copied. Perhaps you should investigate why the drive is so slow. Is it failing? Possibly get a new USB 3 case for it.

• Offsite backup solution OMV > OMV?

Adoby - - General

I havent tried this. But this is what I would do: Don't use NFS. In fact block external NFS access! Allow only access from inside the local LAN. 192.168.1.* Use rsync from a script with SSH over VPN. That should allow you better control and security. And possibly also improve performance.

• Budget build under 215$

Adoby - - My NAS Build

Quote from gagneur: “@Adoby Its a setup worth showing off . And i was wondering if its possible to use port multiplier to add multiple hdd to the same port? And also if possible can you share some images of your setup? I would love to see that. ” I posted some images in this thread: My new NAS: Odroid HC2 and Seagate Ironwolf 12TB.

• I have some pictures and additional comments. I have also talked about the setup in other threads on the forum. See for instance: File managing within network to server Is the following idea worth setting up? I decided to put my HC2s in a bookcase, but I had to make sure there could be some air circulation for cooling. So I figured I could use a "chimney" through the book shelves. Hopefully the extra heat would be enough to give sufficient passive air circulation from the "chimney effect". So I …

Adoby - - My NAS Build

The HC2 route makes more sense with very big/expensive HDDs. With small HDDs it becomes too expensive, I agree. But you save on power and it is very convenient, efficient and flexible and it scales very well. Total price per TB with very big NAS quality HDDs becomes pretty decent. If I add another HC2 it would have a high quality 12-14 TB NAS HDD. Also with several HC2s it makes sense to use a dedicated PSU for all HC2s. That saves a little. There is often a heavy markup if you buy locally. I bo…

Adoby - - My NAS Build

Quote from gagneur: “@Adoby @tkaiser What if i go via pc building route? What can be built under 215$ budget with decent performance? Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk ” No idea. For a plain NAS you don't need much to get good performance. Ask around if some friend or relative have an old discarded PC in the cellar. Offer $10 for it. Keyboard, mouse or monitor are not needed. And buy more disk for the money you save. Just make sure the old PC supports SATA drives and has a network card. Prefer…

Adoby - - My NAS Build

I don't think so. Easier to get one more HC2. A GbE switch is nice to have if you use several HC2s. I use a 16 port Netgear GS316, so my setup have room to expand... :X

Adoby - - My NAS Build

I blab about my 5xHC2 setup all over. It works fine and I have fun with it. Here are some links to threads where I blab a little extra: My new NAS: Odroid HC2 and Seagate Ironwolf 12TB. File managing within network to server Is the following idea worth setting up? You can start with one HC2 and your current 2TB HDD. And upgrade later to a bigger HDD or to another HC2. Easy to expand. HC2 easily handles 12 or 14 TB 3.5" SATA HDDs...

• some questions about openmediavault

Adoby - - General

I'd use the fastest download location. You can test the quality to verify that your download is OK by getting just the checksum for the same files from some other download site. Compare that to your download.