Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from marcsgirall: “newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728 ” Since it's 2019 I wouldn't buy an ASRock J3455-ITX any more but a J4105 (Gemini Lake successor, somewhat faster, IMO best performance/price ratio currently). Only when there are compatible DDR3 SO-DIMMs already laying around I would look at the J3455 any more... What you didn't list is an enclosure and the needed PSU (ATX style so a lot of energy wasted for nothing).In the past ASRock had some 'DC-ITX' variants with …

• In general: while various users will tell you that it's possible to clone a running system my take on this is: nope (I helped companies multiple times recovering from such 'cloning went wrong' stunts so when being paid per hour dealing with this concept can be quite nice... but that's paid consultancy and does not apply to the situation here). This command will list all open files on your system Source Code (1 line)The more you have the more likely live cloning will result in an inconsistent clo…

• Quote from JohnStiles: “clocks do not want to go higher than 1800/1300Mhz ” BTW: For everything OMV/NAS related this is pretty fine. You won't get higher NAS transfer rates at 2000/1500 MHz. Only higher consumption and temperatures. Also the performance difference is less than 10% which is not noticeable in general. But I agree: should be fixed, so better report your findings where it can be fixed (Armbian and not OMV).

• Quote from JohnStiles: “Any suggestions? ” Only to keep discussions about low-level hardware stuff with ARM boards where they (should) belong to... Armbian forum: forum.armbian.com/topic/9277-p…id-hc1-hints-appreciated/ Most probably device-tree with the new kernel version defines different cpufreq/DVFS operating points and this got undetected (Armbian still supports way too many boards. Quantity vs. quality and one of the usual results).

• What to do if hardware fail?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Marfio: “My idea is to mount raid througt OMV ” Still you need to get rid of your RAID controller since otherwise you can only continue to use your disks on another machine featuring a compatible hardware RAID controller. So if you really need RAID (I doubt it) ensure that you're using software RAID and that the disk controller does NOT modify partition alignment.

• Unstable ethernet with athos ar8151

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Shoguzz: “omv comes up with the “no network interface(s) available” message ” Usually just a timing issue save to ignore... check assigned DHCP lease on your router and try to access the web interface from a client.

• Quote from Shoguzz: “The router i use is the freebox mini ” Gigabit Switch inside (as usual with everything sold within the last 5 years. Hubs have been declared deprecated already in 2011 by IEEE, back then it was already hard to find hub chips since switch ICs were that inexpensive and since hubs are limited to 100 Mbits/sec no ISP will rely on such outdated LAN tech when internet access speeds can and will exceed 100 Mbits/sec). I would test with iperf3 first as already suggested: iperf.fr/ip…

• Quote from Adoby: “For instance a 32 GB Sandisk Ultra A1. It might last years? Or just weeks? ” Impossible to answer without knowing the storage write pattern. If 'Write Amplification' is rather high the same amount of data to be written at the block device layer can result in 1,000 times more data to be written at the flash layer. A rather simple example: forum.armbian.com/topic/6444-v…findComment&comment=50833 When doing such an experiment with flash storage I would choose an SSD that provides…

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from geaves: “my view regarding isp routers, the ethernet connections are no more than hubs ” Even if they are switches you think they would be hubs? Marvell 88E6161 switch IC here: forum.openmediavault.org/index…76807a9c2a1592e9aad42f662 That's a To be found in 8 years old Freebox V6...

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Shoguzz: “When ftp’ing a movie (700Mb) from another pc it hangs randomly after about 100Mb. ” This setup is broken. In case you have a free PCIe slot (single PCIe lane is sufficient) you can try to add another NIC but I would also look at the Ethernet cable and also your router (last time I visited a friend in France we had similar issues with his Freebox -- disclaimer: that was two years ago and I don't remember which version of the box he had back then). In case you're able to run i…

• So I got gifted an XU4Q

tkaiser - - General

Quote from razvanrudy: “Is this problem with USB related only to the Cloudshell 2 or the on board USB 3.0 have the same problem? ” I already linked to Omv 4 broken odroid xu4 ? Quote from KM0201: “I have no Facebook ” Since this thread already went 100% off-topic... 'having no Facebook' (same with an Google account) doesn't stop these companies from tracking you: forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/25629 -- a really brilliant idea is to hand over everything you're doing on the Internet to …

• Quote from gderf: “then create a new swap partition using the remainder of the disk ” Just three general remarks: 1. There is no need for a swap partition since kernel 2.6 (that's now over 15 years ago). See last paragraph of: lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0507.0/1690.html 2. Swap on SD card is not a great idea since common SD cards are slow as hell if it's about random IO. Some info, more info 3. If the system is running low on RAM (less than 2GB) activating zram is a way better idea than …

• Quote from elsmandino: “what SD card you are using for OMV? ” He's using SanDisk A1. Grab those with best capacity/price ratio since the larger the card the later it wears out. Even if OMV will only utilize 8GB on an SD card one with e.g. 32 GB will last ~4 times longer compared to a card with just 8 GB. Some information on why A1 is important: github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowle…_and_A2_rated_SD_cards.md

• Android apps leaking data to Facebook

tkaiser - - Off-Topic

Privacy? In the US telco providers even sell your location to everyone: motherboard.vice.com/en_us/art…-microbilt-zumigo-tmobile Some insights into why those companies are interested in collecting every information they can get of us to store infinitely: medium.com/s/story/the-complet…e-tracks-you-3c3abc10781d And we all help them by using Google DNS which provides the missing link to be able to track us across devices and generate insights about entities like households or who is a colleague of…

• Quote from turziko: “I guess ARM would be more suitable for such task than x86, right? ” Not really since the count of disks is the problem to get something 'compact, quiet and low power' and inexpensive as well.

• Quote from raws99: “One logging problem seems to be, if the system is clogged, the logs are not generated ” In other words: Looking into the provided logs makes no sense? Anyway: if this is really the output of iostat 120 then what's going on with your storage? Two disks show a constant read activity of 8 MB/s with +130 transactions per second while the md0 device shows way less but also constant utilization. Disclaimer: No idea what should be 'normal behavior' since I don't use mdraid's raid1 s…

• Slow disk speed after few days

tkaiser - - General

Really strange. Most probably in such a situation I would install sysstat package and then run an iostat 5 in parallel to the tests and compare both installations. The iostat output also collects CPU utilization statistics and %iowait and is such often helpful to get an idea where to further search...

tkaiser - - General

Example of low performance with underpowering: Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards

tkaiser - - General

Quote from mix091: “Source Code (4 lines)” The above confirms that it's indeed SuperSpeed (USB Mass Storage and not UAS which is the correct way to deal with Seagate USB3 disks). Using hdparm to check disk speeds is never a good idea since this tool always reads from the outer tracks while HDDs use ZBR (Zone Bit Recording) and get slower once you put data on them: forum.armbian.com/topic/1925-s…findComment&comment=15319 -- I would benchmark using iozone but this might require adding non-free Deb…

• So I got gifted an XU4Q

tkaiser - - General

Quote from KM0201: “I have drives to use on the sata ports in the device.. do those run off the usb bus? ” These drives are behind - an internal USB3 hub (never a good idea to put USB hubs in between host and disks) - rather crappy USB3-A receptacles - a short USB3 cable - a JMS561 USB-to-SATA bridge with integrated RAID or PM functionality showing firmware issues Good luck with such a setup! IMO Hardkernel has only two good devices for the NAS use case. That's HC1 and HC2 and nothing else (the …