Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “Why would a plugin for backup be usefull without a guide on how to use it for restoring? I know that writing this stuff is volunarily and I am not pressing you to do anything. But I just wonder why you would write a plugin for backup without a guide to restore? Why would anyone use that plugin? ” This is my last post on this plugin... I did write a general guide in the *first* post. I did write a post after I added the dd and fsarchiver options. Did I put in pretty format in…

• Quote from bvrulez: “what do I have to tell systemrescuecd to use as restore information? ” systemrescuecd isn't a restore program. it is a bootable linux distro that happens to have fsarchiver and other tools making it possible to restore. Quote from bvrulez: “The poster before said I should put an image onto the SSD. But fsarchiver is not producing any .iso. ” The image just needs to be accessible to the system once it is booted on systemrescuecd. Since we don't know exact details of how your …

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “You don't have to make the plugin more restore-friendly, but we (I) need some sort of advice of how to restore, of course. ” Quote from ryecoaaron: “please ask for help in a new thread for restoring - not easy! ” Here is my quote from the first post about advice... I have advised many people on how to restore. It is very difficult to give generic advice. A new thread with exact details is the best way. And try to remember, I volunteer my time writing these plugins and I thin…

• Can't activate openvpn plugin

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from schickel: “Also, after deinstalling the plugin, it does not delete completely. In service section is still openvpn available, but with deinstalled plugin I get the error: ” Clear your browser cache. I only put this plugin in the repo because a few people said it worked for them. It seems to have problems with a lot of people though. It won't be ported to OMV 5.x either.

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “Well, if you can not even outline shortly how to use the files for restoring then you should probably pull the plugin. ” That is starting sound like I have never done that........ I see you found the thread about fsarchiver but did you look at the first post of this thread? I did outline it and I have in quite a few other threads. I'm sorry I didn't make the plugin easy enough to restore but that is because restore is not easy with the options I had to work from. I won't pul…

• Raspberry Pi - Why?

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “Maybe an announcement thread could highlight all the shortcomings of using an RPi ” No one would read it just like all of the other announcement threads.

• Quote from bvrulez: “Please tell me which .iso I will use from the backup attached for writing to the disk. ” I usually recommend systemrescuecd as mentioned in the link in the above post. Quote from bvrulez: “How can I "look inside the backup files", e.g. which programm will I use to open them? ” Depends on which method you use. dd is a gzip'd image of the filesystem. If you gunzip it, you can mount the image on Linux. not easy for noob. fsarchive can be viewed with the fsarchive program itself…

• Quote from bvrulez: “Why is nowhere to be found a guide on how to restore a backup? ” Because there are many factors that are different and the guide would never be able to account for all of those factors. fsarchiver is a little easier but not completely. I have written quite a few posts about how to restore. This is probably the best one - How to restore from an omv-backup? I hesitate on making anything much better because someone would try to cut & paste and make their system worse.

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “That's good news! I was just wondering how your plugin would be able to save a running system completely. Even clonedisk is not able to do this. ” It will backup the system but there is no guarantee the backup is consistent. A snapshot is the closest thing that can do that. Quote from bvrulez: “How can I restore the files I backuped with "dd" onto that usb drive? It seems that the GUI does not have an option for this ” You can't restore a backup over a running system. You ne…

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “This thread is very long and while I read some of the beginning and some of the end I still have a simple question: - I did a backup of my system via GUI and the option dd to my RAID array. - My system currently is on a usb stick because I had to test if my original system was broken. It was. - I now want to have that backup on my original system SSD. - This means I have to wipe my SSD, install OMV from scratch, log into the web gui, install the backup plugin, and then find …

• Quote from gderf: “Anything in particular we should be looking for in the test version? ” Just that it works and upgrades properly. The settings are just being moved from /etc/default/docker to the daemon.json file which seems to help the service failure to start problem. It also gets rid of some questionable code that is only editing part of /etc/default/docker

• Quote from gderf: “I would be willing to test this, but please provide a link to the previous version so that I can revert is needed. ” Thanks bintray.com/openmediavault-plu…openmediavault-docker-gui or apt-get install openmediavault-docker-gui=4.1.1 since old versions stay in the repo.

• Can a few people test the new version of the docker plugin that uses daemon.json instead of /etc/default/docker? It is here - omv-extras.org/testing/openmed…-docker-gui_4.1.2_all.deb Thanks to @subzero79 for his work on this (he did all of it ).

• Quote from Netstumbler: “It seems the clonezilla TAB is missing on OMV 4.1 / Odroid-hc2 arm. I read this is was removed. ” Nope. It was never there. clonezilla doesn't work on arm.

• Docker failing to re-install

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from vulcan4d: “Configuration file '/etc/default/docker' ” There is another long thread about this. You need to do another apt-get -f install and then answer yes to replacing /etc/default/docker. We are working on a fix.

• Please don't post the same thing in multiple forums. If you got an error posting, read problem #4 - Solutions to common problems

• OMV, UnionFS, Snapraid

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from Horyd: “Under the Union Filesystem tab, it only lists 3 drives instead of 4 for some reason. First, since the 4th drive is parity for snapraid, should that been in the pool to begin with? ” The parity drive should not be in the pool. Quote from Horyd: “If I try to re-add the 4th drive to the pool, will it erase my information already on the pool? ” No. unionfilesystems work on top of existing filesystems and only tell the operating system where to read or write. They never delete file…

• User and group seach

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from psilva: “Do you know if there are any plans to implement a search? or if I can grant permissions to shared folders in a more users friendly wa ” No plans that I know of. OMV is really targeted toward home users who would never have 1000s of users/groups/

• Mount drives without formatting

ryecoaaron - - General

I pass through quite a few disks on ESXi on my personal setup and they work fine. I'm not sure why you can't see the filesystems.

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from PWSteal: “It would be nice to see the "No hassle free restore with WebGUI for now" disclaimer in plugin description. You know, maybe it's cool, but it's not noob-friendly ” Many people have many different definitions of "hassle free". While it may be bad for noobs, I would rather them be able to create a backup that they need help restoring than not have a backup at all. If I put a message like that on the plugin (yuck - that makes people think it sucks), then noobs wouldn't use it at…