Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Raspberry Pi - Why?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from JohnStiles: “it seemed to me that ZFS and cheap sbc is not so popular target combination for soho ” While that's somewhat true I tried to address the 'I enabled ZFS and burn up 13GB of RAM while transferring, so this further puzzles me that a 1GB device could work at all' confusion. Every Unix/Linux system will take every bit of available RAM to make use of it. Since every other behavior would be foolish. If there's RAM, it will be used of course. If your system has 1 GB RAM this will…

• Quote from TechnoDadLife: “What happens when you hit return after you put in : apt-get update ” He already showed that in the first post (the usual 'weakref.py' warning that's save to be ignored). And maybe he is confused that there are no updates available which is pretty normal on the RPi and ARM images when starting with OMV since they install every outstanding update on first boot if the host is connected to the Internet?

• Raspberry Pi - Why?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from JohnStiles: “You must have high requirements for the NAS ” I guess it's just defaults. ZFS default is to try to eat up as much RAM as possible for the ARC (a cache that is of close to zero use for home/SOHO NAS boxes) and by simply adjusting one or two tunables you get a ZFS NAS with just 1 GB RAM that is similarly fast as one with 128 GB RAM (for the home/SOHO use case -- if the ZFS shares host whole businesses like they do in most of our installations then it's an entirely different…

• Quote from JohnStiles: “if someone is aware that 4.19 requires polishing for xu4 then why would anyone push it ” Ask Igor. I got pretty tired of dealing with these issues again and again. I mean... I use Debian (AKA 'everything outdated as hell') for just one single reason: the 'stable' promise. But what do I gain from a distro that is stable (Debian) when kernel and bootloader updates (Armbian) constantly cause pain? It simply makes no sense at all.

• Copy files internally via ssh allowed?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from KM0201: “The cp command is pretty good.. but as tkaiser (basically) said. I would run it as a user... not as root. ” Sorry, misunderstanding. I was talking about different things since we're talking about the NAS use case here. - Encodings: Clients (Windows, macOS, Linux, other Unices) might have a different idea about encodings compared to the server side (the filesharing daemon and the filesystem). Filesharing daemons like Samba or Netatalk know about client and server side encoding…

• Quote from Robbin: “Any ideas what to try to fix? ” Nope, I never connected a display to the majority of my ARM boards and since OMV is meant to be administrated headless (using the web UI or SSH/shellinabox) I don't consider this being a problem. If a ping nanopim4 works in your network everything is alright and you can access the box using nanopim4 BTW: NanoPi M4 as well as NEO4 are prone to undervoltage, OMV/Armbian uses more demanding settings than FriendlyELEC's offerings and caused by this…

• Copy files internally via ssh allowed?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from o_neill: “Can I safely ssh as root to the NAS and copy files in the ssh session from 1 HDD to another (using cp command or maybe midnight commander)? ” If source and destination are shared to SMB or AFP clients and use mismatching share settings for both then you'll introduce problems for sure. Which sort of troubles always depends on mismatch of settings used. Possibilities: encoding troubles, different representation of metadata, permissions and ACLs. As long as you work with defaul…

• Quote from AnBad: “Is the transferred data via iperf saved to the SD card as well and included in anyway in the measurements of iperf? ” No, that's just networking without any storage activity involved. And yes, a bunch of small files takes longer to transfer than huge files. And of course storage performance is also important so that needs to be tested individually first. Not with dd or hdparm (since generating almost always numbers without meaning) but testing through a bunch of different bloc…

• Raspberry Pi - Why?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Marfio: “Probably what the forum has to say about pi omv, that is for non production server or to learn. ” That's a great suggestion. Maybe an announcement thread could highlight all the shortcomings of using an RPi as NAS and then the readme.txt at the download location (the most ignored file there) should point directly as an introduction to this forum thread?

• Raspberry Pi - Why?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from wireless112: “Why would anybody even have a need for OMV on Raspberry Pi? ” Since the average RPi user is rather clueless and has been told (by 'the Internet' or 'the media') that a RPi would make up for a great energy efficient NAS. The opposite is true (it's the worst choice possible for everything involving network and/or storage) but this doesn't change the fact that RPi users want to use these lousy things as NAS. So we prepare an own image (my hope was that this image helps to d…

• Quote from JohnStiles: “But looking at the url you gave me, I'm not the first and no one seems to care ” As already said: Quantity vs. quality. BTW: there's more than just lower CPU clockspeeds. Cloudshell 2 users when updating will loose the TFT display: forum.armbian.com/topic/9340-o…d-after-upgrade-to-41914/ -- no idea what other surprises come with next apt update. Since I've also no idea why switching from a known working kernel branch to an unknown state was 'needed' I thought I ask: githu…

• Install OMV on Raspberry

tkaiser - - General

Quote from kenh: “I have a class 10 card ” 'Class 10' is irrelevant: github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowle…_and_A2_rated_SD_cards.md Often cards are simply just broken (or counterfeit) and buying and testing a good new one solves the problem...

• Quote from Adoby: “if I want to write a fresh SD card, I'll need a copy of the MBR and the partition table as well ” Don't forget u-boot. I would closely study the nand-sata-install script since this tool contains all steps needed to transfer an installation from here to there. Which rootfs to choose? Most probably I would clone the OMV rootfs (since btrfs with zlib compression and wasting less space than a 'thin' Armbian ext4 rootfs). It should be possible to change boot behavior by dealing wit…

• Quote from Adoby: “Could this work? ” Since you're talking about the ARM images and not Raspberry Pi: Armbian (the basis here) switched from anachronistic device/partition names to UUIDs a while ago. Simply check /boot/armbianEnv.txt and there the rootdev=UUID= definition and output of blkid. Since the rootfs on the ARM images lives on btrfs creating snapshots should be rather easy and space efficient so IMO there's no need to store those 'snapshots' anywhere else as long as you use the filesyst…

• How does OMV system backup work for ARM?

tkaiser - - General

forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/25710

• Quote from marcsgirall: “newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728 ” Since it's 2019 I wouldn't buy an ASRock J3455-ITX any more but a J4105 (Gemini Lake successor, somewhat faster, IMO best performance/price ratio currently). Only when there are compatible DDR3 SO-DIMMs already laying around I would look at the J3455 any more... What you didn't list is an enclosure and the needed PSU (ATX style so a lot of energy wasted for nothing).In the past ASRock had some 'DC-ITX' variants with …

• In general: while various users will tell you that it's possible to clone a running system my take on this is: nope (I helped companies multiple times recovering from such 'cloning went wrong' stunts so when being paid per hour dealing with this concept can be quite nice... but that's paid consultancy and does not apply to the situation here). This command will list all open files on your system Source Code (1 line)The more you have the more likely live cloning will result in an inconsistent clo…

• Quote from JohnStiles: “clocks do not want to go higher than 1800/1300Mhz ” BTW: For everything OMV/NAS related this is pretty fine. You won't get higher NAS transfer rates at 2000/1500 MHz. Only higher consumption and temperatures. Also the performance difference is less than 10% which is not noticeable in general. But I agree: should be fixed, so better report your findings where it can be fixed (Armbian and not OMV).

• Quote from JohnStiles: “Any suggestions? ” Only to keep discussions about low-level hardware stuff with ARM boards where they (should) belong to... Armbian forum: forum.armbian.com/topic/9277-p…id-hc1-hints-appreciated/ Most probably device-tree with the new kernel version defines different cpufreq/DVFS operating points and this got undetected (Armbian still supports way too many boards. Quantity vs. quality and one of the usual results).

• What to do if hardware fail?

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from Marfio: “My idea is to mount raid througt OMV ” Still you need to get rid of your RAID controller since otherwise you can only continue to use your disks on another machine featuring a compatible hardware RAID controller. So if you really need RAID (I doubt it) ensure that you're using software RAID and that the disk controller does NOT modify partition alignment.