Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from Kai: “Is there any program/plugin/docker that can function within OMV in the same manner that a backup suite does within MAC or Windows? In other words --- example, “…do these 3 steps to back up the system and then do these 2 steps to restore it.” Situations like 20+ steps with Clonezilla seems uncalled for in theory. ” The openmediavault-backup plugin is easy to setup and one click to backup or you can even setup a scheduled backup with it. Yes, there are lot of steps to restore but …

• Quote from chrbar: “what is the best way (better stability, less conflict) to create an OMV server: ” Both methods end up with the same result. Quote from chrbar: “Usually NAS don't need a lot of cpu/ram, is it a real problem if I install a lightweight desktop environment as Xfce? ” The recommendation has nothing to do with cpu/ram use. It causes other issues due to occasional package conflicts and configurations that cause problems with OMV. Quote from chrbar: “Is there some known conflicts bet…

• virtualbox install issue headers?

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from marvelous: “Is it just a case of select this and click upgrade? ” Yep. I recommend installing all of the updates in the Updates tab.

• Wifi adapters support

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from kledder: “I did a bit more research and only the 2 Edimax and Asus PCE-AC55BT card support Linux. For Asus PCE-AC55BT (and the B1 version) it's unclear which version of LInux it supports. ” I have a TP-link ac1300 and it uses the Broadcom BCM4360 chip and that is supported by Debian 9 (OMV 4.x) - wiki.debian.org/wl Quote from kledder: “It would be very helpful if there would be a "supported wifi NICS" list for OMV. ” Normally we try to talk people out of using wireless for a NAS. Sinc…

• Wifi adapters support

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from flmaxey: “The latest back ports kernel is 4.19. It shouldn't be long until the 4.20 upgrade is available on OMV but, as far as I can tell, it's not available at this time. ” The backports kernel is the next version of Debian's kernel. The backports kernel in OMV 4.x is the Debian Buster kernel which has stabilized on 4.19. So, OMV 4.x will probably never get a newer kernel than 4.19. Quote from kledder: “I need a Wifi adapter because I can't use cables. ” It might be easier to use a w…

• virtualbox install issue headers?

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

The plugin is dependent on linux-headers-adm64 which means you will have to run the latest kernel (4.19 now). Is there a reason you are still on such an old kernel?

• Apache

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from michelefaccini: “Can I just install apache without docker ? ” Yes but you need to make sure it isn't listening on the same port(s) as nginx. Quote from michelefaccini: “Isn't better and easier for a newbie ? ” Better? Not in my opinion. Maybe watch some of the docker videos to give yo a better idea of how to use docker. Most dockers allow you to map a directory inside the docker to a folder outside the docker.

• backup-omv-18-Jan-2019_14-12-01.blkid :: This is the output of blkid put in a file for informational purposes. backup-omv-18-Jan-2019_14-12-01.fdisk :: This is the output of fdisk -l put in a file for informational purposes. backup-omv-18-Jan-2019_14-12-01.fsa :: This is the fsarchiver file. backup-omv-18-Jan-2019_14-12-01.grub :: This is the first 446 bytes of the disk where grub is installed backup-omv-18-Jan-2019_14-12-01.grubparts :: This is the first 512 bytes of the disk where grub is inst…

• Apache

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from michelefaccini: “I saw that there is no Docker arm container for apache. ” It is called httpd - hub.docker.com/r/arm32v7/httpd/

• Quick MiniDLNA tip on symlinks

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from raulfg3: “better if this option can be added to webGUI ” I added it to the OMV 5.x version of the plugin - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plug…33816ef488881fcc774be4120

• Nice guide. I would only add that if you are restoring to a new disk, write the backup of grub and the partition table (.grubparts file) to the disk before the fsarchiver restfs step with: dd if=/mnt/YOUSHOULDKNOW/backup-omv-15-Jan-2019_14-12-01.grubparts of=/dev/YOUSHOULDKNOW

• Can't activate openvpn plugin

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from kmal808: “what would your recommendation be for remote access? ” I use ssh and don't use any vpn. I might start using wireguard and I guess there are some wireguard dockers out there.

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “Why would a plugin for backup be usefull without a guide on how to use it for restoring? I know that writing this stuff is volunarily and I am not pressing you to do anything. But I just wonder why you would write a plugin for backup without a guide to restore? Why would anyone use that plugin? ” This is my last post on this plugin... I did write a general guide in the *first* post. I did write a post after I added the dd and fsarchiver options. Did I put in pretty format in…

• Quote from bvrulez: “what do I have to tell systemrescuecd to use as restore information? ” systemrescuecd isn't a restore program. it is a bootable linux distro that happens to have fsarchiver and other tools making it possible to restore. Quote from bvrulez: “The poster before said I should put an image onto the SSD. But fsarchiver is not producing any .iso. ” The image just needs to be accessible to the system once it is booted on systemrescuecd. Since we don't know exact details of how your …

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “You don't have to make the plugin more restore-friendly, but we (I) need some sort of advice of how to restore, of course. ” Quote from ryecoaaron: “please ask for help in a new thread for restoring - not easy! ” Here is my quote from the first post about advice... I have advised many people on how to restore. It is very difficult to give generic advice. A new thread with exact details is the best way. And try to remember, I volunteer my time writing these plugins and I thin…

• Can't activate openvpn plugin

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from schickel: “Also, after deinstalling the plugin, it does not delete completely. In service section is still openvpn available, but with deinstalled plugin I get the error: ” Clear your browser cache. I only put this plugin in the repo because a few people said it worked for them. It seems to have problems with a lot of people though. It won't be ported to OMV 5.x either.

• Backup a live system

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from bvrulez: “Well, if you can not even outline shortly how to use the files for restoring then you should probably pull the plugin. ” That is starting sound like I have never done that........ I see you found the thread about fsarchiver but did you look at the first post of this thread? I did outline it and I have in quite a few other threads. I'm sorry I didn't make the plugin easy enough to restore but that is because restore is not easy with the options I had to work from. I won't pul…

• Raspberry Pi - Why?

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “Maybe an announcement thread could highlight all the shortcomings of using an RPi ” No one would read it just like all of the other announcement threads.

• Quote from bvrulez: “Please tell me which .iso I will use from the backup attached for writing to the disk. ” I usually recommend systemrescuecd as mentioned in the link in the above post. Quote from bvrulez: “How can I "look inside the backup files", e.g. which programm will I use to open them? ” Depends on which method you use. dd is a gzip'd image of the filesystem. If you gunzip it, you can mount the image on Linux. not easy for noob. fsarchive can be viewed with the fsarchive program itself…

• Quote from bvrulez: “Why is nowhere to be found a guide on how to restore a backup? ” Because there are many factors that are different and the guide would never be able to account for all of those factors. fsarchiver is a little easier but not completely. I have written quite a few posts about how to restore. This is probably the best one - How to restore from an omv-backup? I hesitate on making anything much better because someone would try to cut & paste and make their system worse.