Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from Blabla: “Paired with a FANTEC QB-35US3-6G or FANTEC QB-35U31 ” What do you expect from those USB3 attached thingies in combination with an SBC? - USB3-A receptacle/cable hassles are quite common (way more often issues compared to USB2/Hi-Speed since those additional contacts for the SuperSpeed data lines are laughable tiny and as such you're running really easy into interconnection issues with USB3-A jacks/receptacles) - These things usually provide RAID functionality which is an insa…

• Quote from Blabla: “Guys what do you think of this upgrade of the odroid? ” github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowle…k_Preview_of_ODROID-N2.md It's USB3 storage and everything is behind an internal USB3 hub. Not the best prerequisites for 'reliable NAS operation' IMO but it's currently the fastest affordable SBC at least with multi-threaded loads. Once stuff like CPU and IRQ affinity is set I would expect it to be a rather fast NAS (~100MB/s as usual today with fast SBC) but USB storage is... USB storage.…

• OMV 4 + RPI 2 = Crash

tkaiser - - General

Check for undervoltage first: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images With SBC and especially the RPi it's always two issues if something bad happens: underpowering or SD card hassles (if it's an old card an update orgy might kill it or might have already killed, you can give armbianmonitor -c a try to verify installation integrity)

• Upgrade Debian 9 and 4.x

tkaiser - - Updates/Upgrades

Quote from fergbrain: “Updating python to the Debian's testing branch seems to resolve the issue ” The 'issue' is a harmless warning not justifying to break Debian's package management! For anyone else reading this: please simply do this instead Source Code (1 line)The harmless warning will disappear too but you don't need to fiddle around with adding Debian testing to your apt sources and especially do NOT need to fiddle around with apt pinning which is dangerous especially on the RPi where we …

• Quote from Robbin: “It arrived! 4x SATA HAT for NanoPi M4 ” And it should work out of the box: cnx-software.com/2019/02/19/4x…eo-m4-nas/#comment-560924

• MONITOR Hard Disk Drive Speed

tkaiser - - General

When I'm interested in such stuff I usually open a terminal and then do iostat 10 or if the storage is ZFS based zpool iostat 10 (10 is the interval in seconds, you might want to decrease this value to get more fine-grained numbers)

• Quote from sirleon: “do you have experienced any troubles with customs or had to pay taxes ” Nope since I've no Helios4 (Gauthier asked whether I want a dev sample last year but since I've too much on my desk already I refused).Wrt ECC RAM it's simple: if you love your data use ECC RAM (and a checksummed filesystem like ZFS and btrfs especially if you don't want to afford ECC RAM)

• Call for testers: OMV4 for ARM boards

tkaiser - - General

Quote from audiodandy: “I have an Olimex A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 board (eMMC) I'm willing to help with testing ” There's nothing to test. A20-Lime2 is one of the best ARM server boards possible though rather slow in the meantime. In the past I provided an OMV3 image for the board but since almost nobody is using it... grab a "Debian Stretch Next" from here and then install OMV using armbian-config. In case you run into booting troubles (somewhat likely since Olimex permanently changes hardware detai…

• Eigenen Post "liken"

tkaiser - - Off-Topic

Deichkind muß man live erleben. Und so nah wie möglich. Das erste mal in Wien leider nur aus der Distanz mitbekommen. Das letzte mal in München mit 'nem Mädel, die alles und jeden kennt, direkt vor der Bühne im VIP-Bereich gelandet. Unfaßbar gaga!

• Internal SD Card Odroid HC2

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Wdavery: “The only case it would be worse off is if you had 30GB or so full and there was only 2Gb left to wear level with. ” IMO there's two different things here to consider - size of the card (partitioning irrelevant). If you have exactly the same write pattern an 8GB card will wear out 4 times faster than a 32 GB card - SD card using all the available space (99%-100% fs full). Now if the card's controller is bad at wear leveling and garbage collection most likely your SD card beco…

• Quote from JohnStiles: “Kernel compatibility with SD card. I have not heard about it ” Three areas: - u-boot: when having to use a horribly outdated vendor bootloader (does not apply to any OMV/Armbian image since we're using mainline but to the majority of all the other ARM images out there) there can be compatibility issues that need patches/fixes. I can't recall this being a problem with SD cards but with rather similar eMMC modules where the code is only ready for MMC version 4.x and as such…

• Eigenen Post "liken"

tkaiser - - Off-Topic

Ach, diese dämliche Likerei ist doch nur deshalb Bestandteil aller Foren geworden, weil's (a)sozialen Netzwerken nachempfunden ist. Am Besten einfach ignorieren und auch das eigene Handeln nicht an "Likes" oder "Downvotes" orientieren sondern an dem, was man selbst für richtig hält Ich würd mir ja eher Filter wünschen, damit ich gewisse Leute (siehe gilfaddict) ausblenden kann. In diesem Sinne youtube.com/watch?v=OVvHj1FLCn4

• Why is my HDD waking up?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from FabrizioMaurizio: “Do you happen to know what is the factory spindown time for the pine64 adapter? ” No idea. And even if I would tell numbers here forum.armbian.com/topic/5098-mini-review-rock64-sata-cable/ who knows whether current SATA cables ship with same firmware/settings? The more you think about USB attached storage the worse it gets

• Why is my HDD waking up?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from FabrizioMaurizio: “I've asked on the pine64 forum if their usb to sata works with hdparm but I've got no answer. @tkaiser I noticed you reviewed it, can you please tell me if hdparm works as intended with it? ” No idea since this always depends on the firmware of such USB-to-SATA bridges (see the spindown hassles ODROID HC1/HC2 have/had which also rely on JMS578). Maybe you need to flash a different firmware? But if I understand correctly your problem is your disks spinning up while t…

• Quote from olahaye74: “you only see messages like check your power supply, use good SD card, try reboot and more fancy answers or simple RTFM ” All of those except 'try reboot' are good advice since usually with SBC it's simply bad powering (most often the cable between PSU and board being the culprit and not the PSU itself), bad or counterfeit SD card or people skipping the 2 minutes to read installation instructions at the download page. All the countless issues you brought up except one are n…

• Quote from JeffMD: “~10Mbytes a second despite both devices wired to the same router ” Gigabit Ethernet uses two cable pairs so if one direction is fast and the other not, try to exchange the cable first (or switch the direction if you don't have another cable yet). Also change the switch port (if your router seems to be GbE capable its network ports are usually provided by a switch and not a hub). Trial&error at the lowest network layer is always the first and cheapest you can do... Then testin…

• Crashing

tkaiser - - General

Quote from omarius: “what do you mean by overload? ” You can't 'overload' a Linux system. And you can't run a Linux reliably on insufficient hardware. The usual problems with SBC are hardware and/or settings related. The two most favorite problems are underpowering and SD card hassles and then sometimes images run with silly defaults (like overclocked DRAM for no reason). Since you're using an ARM image providing the output from armbianmonitor -u might help.

• Crashing

tkaiser - - General

Quote from omarius: “what is the "a1"? and how does it relate to "class 1 - 10"? ” github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowle…_and_A2_rated_SD_cards.md

• Can't login to complete install RPi 3 b+

tkaiser - - General

Quote from aurel f: “first login with admin and pass openmediavault (terminal pi) ” Impossible. You can only login with admin in the web interface. At the local console only root would be possible. Which doesn't change a bit that all you need is to read the readme.txt at the download location sourceforge.net/projects/openm…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/ and follow the steps that are written there! Connect the board to network (working Internet connection!), fire it up, wait for the automatic reboot, …

• Quote from olahaye74: “ntfs is perfectly supported by OMV and works flawlessly ” Nope. Too tired to repeat myself over and over again so just a quick answer for a potential forum or web search - representation of filesystem metadata (so called alternate data streams). Mismatch between NTFS's own implementation and the way OMV's filesharing daemons will do it (Samba, Netatalk, NFS, whatever FTP daemon OMV uses -- no idea) - encodings (UTF-16/UCS-2 vs. UTF-8) - permission model (POSIX stuff and Un…