Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• What should I use for a boot drives?

flmaxey - - General

Quote from silk186: “I'm thinking about JBOD, is this simple to implement? ” I hate to say this but, "it depends". In my opinion, JBOD at the physical level, is the way to go. These days, even if you go with RAID at some point, it's still best to let software assemble the array from JBOD disks. Otherwise, with hardware RAID, your disks are permanently married to the controller or a specific family of controller.) If it's a software array, you can move them (the disks) to a different hardware pla…

• What should I use for a boot drives?

flmaxey - - General

Quote from silk186: “I don't have experience working with any type of RAID. I know if a hardware control dies, recovery of the array can be problematic. ” For these reasons, don't do RAID (of any kind) without full data backup. Instead, use the disks that would make up an array to create the 2nd copy (of your data). You'll be ahead of the curve and it's a bit more cost effective. Quote from silk186: “I assumed that if my thumb drive failed it could also be difficult to recover without a recent b…

• urBackkup Plugin

flmaxey - - Plugins

I don't get it either. I've been using UrBackup, with OMV, since it was introduced as a plugin (a couple years ago). It works on two different platforms, "out of the box", with no need for any sort of tweak.

• All I can offer is speculation, however: - Since you have a commercial server, it should be well documented at the OEM site. (That was the case for my Intel Server. There were plenty of OEM doc's, in the form of PDF's, covering almost every aspect of the box.) Do a Google search on the model #, from the serial sticker, and see what turns up. - You really need to understand your BIOS options (refer to the doc's) and, if you have integrated (on the motherboard) RAID find which ports are RAID ports…

• Disk Usage empty

flmaxey - - General

Quote from hoppel118: “I can’t see „Disk I/O“ graphs. Are they disabled because of the issue? ” You won't see this particular graph set without the Diskstat's plugin. I have empty graphs as well. Quote from camjesus2: “WOW! One goes to bed and all Hell brakes loose... ” Let's just say things "warmed" a bit.

• Need advice. Grow raid or LVM

flmaxey - - RAID

On the same box: There's going to be a lot of caching involved in that scenario - read from mdadm RAID5 (parallel i/o) and writing to the equivalent of a single disk (ZFS). There's a more than a bit of i/o disparity involved. I suspect it will smooth out when the copy is finished.

flmaxey - - RAID

Quote from striscio: “I noticed an increased i/o wait value since I created the zfs pool. Is it normal? ” Given what it does, ZFS has a bit of overhead and, in some measures, it's not going to be as fast as EXT4. Where are you getting the i/o wait stat? Also of note is that, using a single mirror (unstriped), you're not going to get the parallel read / write throughput equivalent of RAID5. A single mirror has the equivalent throughput of a single disk. Throughput may improve as you add mirrors, …

flmaxey - - RAID

Quote from striscio: “Maybe it's better to switch to ZFS? I used it on another file server and AFAIR is simpler to add couples of different disks (mirror) to grow the available space. I'm I right? ” Yes, you can do this. (Using the ZFS plugin) I've done what you've outlined above, before, but I just tested it in a VM to confirm the process. 1. Create a pool, using 2 disks in a mirror which will make up the first vdev. (The 8TB pair?) 2. At this point, you could copy your data. Once it's moved to…

• (With apologies to @KM0201 for butting in.) Quote from mad430: “If I install it on a flash drive would I still be able to access the other drives in the server for media storage? ” Sure. The USB thumb drive will just be your boot drive. You may have to enable USB boot, and change the BIOS boot order to make USB the 1rst boot choice. What you do with the RAID controller, adding drives, etc., is a separate consideration. BTW: 16 to 32Gb is a good size for a USB boot drive, if you clone it. (You wi…

• Trying to install OMV on ML350 G5 server

flmaxey - - General

Trying installing the OS (OMV) onto a USB thumbdrive. You'll have to install the flash memory plugin, but OMV works fine when booting from a USB drive. (And, really, it doesn't make sense to have your boot drive in a RAID array.) RAID only sas/sata ports? I was in a similar boat when repurposing an older server. I had an older Adaptec HBA that wouldn't pass SMART stat's transparently and, if adding a drive, it was necessary for the controller to "initialize it". (Which meant it wasn't possible t…

• Handbrake for Raspberry Pi 3 B+

flmaxey - - Plugins

This is somewhat old, you'd have to compile yourself, it's experimental and works on Ubuntu. It "might" work on Debian. I'd clone my SD-card before trying it. Link You do have other options. You could share a Windows folder, step up Remote Mount on the R-PI, and have a Windows machine do the conversion.

• Es ist alles gut. Wörter und ihre Bedeutung verlieren sich manchmal in der Übersetzung.

• OMV über USB installieren

flmaxey - - General

Some motherboards require that "enable USB boot" to be set in BIOS. I took a quick look through the Mobo manual but didn't see anything. (It might still be there, somewhere.) Things I might try: - I would try TPM State -Disabled I would look at the the following options in BIOS, found on page 98 of your manual, carefully. forum.openmediavault.org/index…32a1703751f1d102baf0a4eed In the first option, UEFI application boot priorities you might find that you can force USB keys (or thumb drives). ___…

• OMV über USB installieren

flmaxey - - General

What is wrong? The new motherboard will not boot from a USB drive? If you think it is a UEFI boot problem, have you tried the script install?

• Can't seem to get rsync to work...

flmaxey - - RSync

Quote from silvershark: “So I just want to be clear, the gui does not support rsync remote push or pull? ” Yes, the GUI supports push or pull. If using remote mount (which is essentially what you're doing on the command line); "push or pull" is just a matter of switching the source and destination in the GUI. In fact, the GUI will work with a remote Rsync server as well. (Again, there are lots of ways to do the same thing.) Also, instead of creating a cron job, any command line can be executed i…

flmaxey - - RSync

What I described works and it doesn't require an Rsync server on the remote machine. Quote from silvershark: “That seems odd... considering you can use command line to backup from one server to another with rsync. ” Of course this is correct. There are many methods for doing the exact same thing, on the command line. But the entire point behind OMV is to use the GUI where possible. If you're interested in a command line approach, I'd suggest Googling "Rsync", "Debian 9", "copy drive to remote ho…

flmaxey - - RSync

Rsycn, in the GUI, is setup to sync shared folders. If you want to Rsync a local shared folder to a remote shared folder, the easiest way is to use the "Remote Mount" plugin. To use Remote Mount, you'll need a user name and password with write access to the remote share. (If this is successful, you'll see the remote share in Storage, File systems.) Then set up a local "shared folder", that uses the remotely mounted share as the "device". The path is "/" only. (This requires changing the default.…

• Did you look at the IP address in this -> thread post (above)? Anzeige: 127.0.0.1 , the default, will not work. You should use the IP address of your OMV server, in Display, Remote Display or you won't be able to connect with Windows RDP or VNC. Look at the screen captures. ________________________________________________________________ 127.0.0.1 von Ihrem Bildschirmbild aus funktioniert nicht. Verwenden Sie die IP-Adresse Ihres OMV-Servers in Anzeige, Remote-Anzeige.

• Quote from Danceswithcats: “@flmaxey I want to say a HUGE thank you for this. I got my new machine home this morning, all excited about setting up OMV (which I'd tried out in another machine that wasn't suitable for using with a RAID setup) and thought I'd blown £200 on an unuseable piece of junk. ” I'm glad it was helpful to you. (And I, too, hate the idea of buying something for a specific purpose, then finding that I have a paper weight.) Quote from Danceswithcats: “I've got a few weeks of pl…

• Docker jDownloader

flmaxey - - Docker

Great! Have a good one.