Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 670.

• How about OMV Virtual Box plugin?

• I think it is necessary to do a complete Debian installation first and then OMV installation on top. There are several tutorials available how to proceed.

• For custom changes it is better to change /etc/default/openmediavault After applying changes it is necessary to execute some commands depending on the service which was changed. For example all config entries for Samba starts with OMV_SAMBA_.... Then execute omv-mkconf samba and systemctl restart samba (Insteadservice smbd restart should also work or simply reboot the machine).

• unable to access the web GUI

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from Pentothal: “I do not know if it was this that solved ” Yes.

• Quote from godsixx: “Editing the config.xml ” Don´t do this. This is the configuration database of OMV. Normally there is no reason for manual changes here. Try to restore the original version without your changes. Cleaning the browser cache does help in some cases.

• Quote from brijenjas: “0x747024ff000 zfs_member [filesystem] Does this indicate that there are still some zfs files on my disk? ” With this signature OMV detects that this a member of a ZFS vdev. Therefore it is not shown under file systems. After removing this signature it should be shown again.

• Quote from macom: “There might be an easier way. ” What is the easier way? I think a complete secure wipe is not absolutely essential. It should be sufficient enough to clear all old partition information with e.g. gparted or a similar tool, isn´t it? This should have the same effect.

• Quote from silk186: “I don't have experience working with any type of RAID. ” Another reason to create regular backups of your data

• Quote from silk186: “This would be a back-up in the event that the OS storage device fails. It doesn't need to be anything fancy but I would like it to be automated so that I can easily recovery from a hardware failure. ” If you discover an automated procedure for backing up the OS drive, test your recovery process in any case and verify carefully that the recovered OS drive will work actually. Many people have fully automated backup jobs (also for data drives), but are not familiar with the res…

• Quote from silk186: “What is the best way to backup the OS drive? Can I automate it to make a back-up once a day? ” There are several threads here regarding this topic. To use the forum search is always a good choice See here: Simplifying The OMV Configuration Backup and Restore Process

• Quote from brijenjas: “Why? does zfs leave something behind even though I wiped the disks? ” Did you make a quick or a secure wipe? If the drive was used for ZFS earlier a secure wipe is the better choice. Please look at this thread here: Raid management don't show all the drives

• Need advice. Grow raid or LVM

cabrio_leo - - RAID

Quote from striscio: “I used it on another file server and AFAIR is simpler to add couples of different disks (mirror) to grow the available space. I'm I right? ” The situation is quite similar to classic RAID. It is possible to grow the pool by changing disk by disk (resilvering) with a bigger one. But right now it is not possible to add new drives to an existing pool, more precisely to existing vdevs, at least in ZFS on Linux. It is possible to create another vdev out of the new disks and to a…

• Need advice. Grow raid or LVM

cabrio_leo - - RAID

Quote from striscio: “Create only one raid1 device with the 8tb drives and adding all the 3tb devices two at a time? Is it possible to have such a configuration or I need all drives to be the same? ” What type of Raid do you want to create out of this disks? Yes, it is possible to use disks of different size for Raid but not recommended. It depends of the Raid level. Eg. for a Raid 5 the smallest disk / partition limits the space which can be used from the bigger drives. You can have a look at t…

• SMB speed over LAN?

cabrio_leo - - General

There a lot of similar threads here. Please search for "Samba tuning". You can start with: Tunning Samba for more speed Nevertheless the speed depends from the file size: Big files -> higher average speed / many small files -> lower avarage speed

• Adding RAID Card drivers to the system

cabrio_leo - - RAID

Quote from ComicKillJoy: “it would have been nice to have the security *should* something go wrong, as this was going to be a build that was located off-site remotely with limited access. ” If availability is an issue, then Raid is a superior option.

• Support network cards

cabrio_leo - - Network

Intel NICs are usually well supported. But not necessarily cheap. Also a lot of Realtek NICs are supported. Is this a very new type of Realtek board without support in the current Linux kernel?

• Internal SD Card Odroid HC2

cabrio_leo - - General

Did you test the card before using it? Please see this post: Is my USB flash drive going bad? Maybe you have more than one partition on the card. You should check the card with e.g. parted or gparted.

• Quote from votdev: “If you want to execute a script on shutdown, why not using a custom systemd unit file? ” I would also regard an easier possibility to execute a script on shutdown. In my case I had a similar request (a script to empty samba recycle bin) and without deeper linux knowledge I wasn´t able to use a systemd unit file for this purpose. I then decided to let it run on reboot at the risk of additional system load and a longer time required up to system availability.

• Adding RAID Card drivers to the system

cabrio_leo - - RAID

I can´t help you in your specific case. Did you look for Debian drivers already? But do you really need hardware raid? In OMV it is a common opinion to use a plain multi port SATA adapter and let the operating system do the RAID job (e.g. with mdadm). Then the OS has complete control over the disk drives. Also you can monitor the state of the drives with 'smartctl'. Nevertheless a lot of users here have troubles with mdadm too. It is a tool where it is necessary to know what to do.

• Eigenen Post "liken"

cabrio_leo - - Off-Topic

Quote from tkaiser: “In diesem Sinne ” Schräger Song! Hab´ ihn mir komplett angesehen