Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Backup to an old NAS

flmaxey - - General

When it comes to the command line; I don't have the raw Linux experience the rest of these guys have, in this thread, so I sort of "back into" CLI implementations based on observations of the way things are done in the GUI, a bit of poking around in the confg files on the boot drive, and man page lookups. While Shellinabox works fine, you might want to take a look at a SSH client like PuTTY. (There's nothing wrong with Shellinabox - PuTTY is just an alternative that has a few extra capabilities.…

• Backup to an old NAS

flmaxey - - General

Quote from flyinjoe13: “If you think it's okay to push the data, I will do that instead. ” With a nod to @Adoby 's caution RE mount points on a boot drive, are you still interested in pushing to the Buffalo Box? I've pushed before, using two hosts on a local LAN without any negative effects, but I have to add a caveat on that. I didn't run that setup for long periods of time. The risk Adoby mentioned could be mitigated, depending on what you plan to use as a boot drive and with OS backup. I beli…

• Because I'm not spreading BS. And you're one to talk about BS? BS is telling users that an UPS is not necessary. That, somehow, running without an UPS is a "sign of progress". You have heard of lightening strikes, right? There's any number of AC line mishaps that can result in equipment that is not totally fried. (Dead is easy to deal with.) It's far worse dealing with intermittent issues that can result from blown gates in CMOS circuity. In the bottom line, particularly where protecting irrepla…

• Quote from brucefan42: “I'm using urBackup in my 2012 Essentials Server because I could never get the provided backup to work with pretty much any of my computers. ” I had the same problem. GPT partitions and UEFI seemed to end any possibility of being able to do a Windows Client bare metal restore. When this became apparent, Windows servers went out the door. Curiously, open source server software seems to be better supported and is less likely to, suddenly, be dropped. Quote from brucefan42: “…

• I suppose you completely missed the permissions issue altogether which was the main topic of this thread? (You know, where the user was considering "closing the door" on the renegade.) Where were you for that? Oh, that's right, you don't do general questions, do you? (As you've put it yourself, "No patience".) It's either "storage throughput" or "toy hardware". Quote from tkaiser: “Seriously. Why can't you stop your constant annoying babbling, silly advices and badmouthing? The issue is totally …

• Just another install problem....

flmaxey - - General

(I'm going to assume you ran error tests on the SD-cards to eliminate that possibility. That's recommended, even if they're new.) That leaves the hardware itself, or the power supply. You could try the PS for a smart phone, as a test. But, really, none of that makes any sense if another image (Raspbian) works. It seems to point to the OMV image itself but that doesn't make sense either. Here's the thing to note in that regard; the OMV R-PI image is downloaded a couple thousand times a week. If s…

• Backup to an old NAS

flmaxey - - General

Quote from flyinjoe13: “In reading up on it, it seems that my old NAS doesn't support rsync ” It doesn't need to (support rsync). You can "push" data from OMV, to your old NAS, using the Remote Mount plugin and rsync on OMV. All you need is a username + password with write access to the Buffalo box. (Most likely, your Windows username and password has write access.) Once the Buffalo network share is mounted in OMV, it's almost the same as having the share local. (Even when setting up the Rsync j…

• Just another install problem....

flmaxey - - General

Just because a card will boot another OS, doesn't mean that it's good. (It might be that the other OS is small enough to where the error is outside of the install.) Starting with a new card of decent quality (no generic's) is a good idea. Further, without testing the image you downloaded, there's no way to know if the image is clean or corrupted. If you're looking for the processes to check the downloaded image and for testing an SD-card, you'll find them here. -> Guide BTW, since you're install…

• Quote from brucefan42: “1. Is partitioning the best idea? ” Given what it takes to restore a data drive from backup, I can't think of a good practical reason for partitioning a drive. Quote from brucefan42: “2. Does OMV with UnionFS provide pools with similar functionality as Storage Spaces on Windows? ” I'd have to qualify the answer and say, "mostly yes", because I don't know exactly what you're looking for. I haven't used Windows servers in several years (I had WHSv1 and 2011 BTW); but if you…

• Admin password stops working

flmaxey - - General

I just checked it: passwd admin works on the CLI Quote from KM0201: “I'd reboot the server then reset the password. ” But I was thinking along the same lines as well. (Reboot and immediately change the password.) Something may be locking or hanging up the admin account, that could be related to a GUI login attempt.

• Admin password stops working

flmaxey - - General

Have you tried changing the password for the user admin on the command line?

• Quote from JeffMD: “I hate open ended threads so an update. ” Damx. I respect that. Hat's off for coming back with the rest of the story... If only other users would share their end experience with a problem, a multitude of others wouldn't have to learn the same lesson the hard way. This makes you a valued contributor. Please accept my sincere thanks for that. Quote from JeffMD: “This time I made sure I stayed clear of ACL (Only once, transmission needed a flag). %90 of my issues did not show u…

• Older commercial grade servers can be had as well. Most come with ECC, enough to run a file server, and provisions for at least 4 drives. (Many can house 6 drives or more.) I have an Intel SC5650HCBRP that, even with various upgrades (faster dual Xeon CPU's, a Dell H200 - 8 port SAS/SATA card, and 32GB Reg ECC), was just a bit over $275 delivered. The down side is processing power versus TDP, or power used. The older stuff consumes more power which adds up over time. But I'll take that trade off…

• Quote from Agricola: “Should I just shutdown one and keep it ready as a backup? ” It's your call but I don't see any point in running 2 XU4's, if one will do it. The HOW-TO works as written, and the pihole in Docker/unbound combo has nearly no performance hit and memory usage is very low. I'm running the Diet-PI setup on an old R-PI "B" model, that has terrible performance, but given some tests I did, I don't believe I could even stress it. (It's would take about 50 or more users, surfing at the…

• Quote from Agricola: “When I get close on the diet-pi install I will remove the other reference from my router. ” You don't have to. All of your LAN clients (if they're DHCP) get their DNS address from the router. If the router is currently pointed to pi-hole in the Docker, that's fine. On the other hand, if you statically configure just 1 client with the Diet-PI's IP address, as the DNS address, you can test the Diet-PI pi-hole install by simply browsing the net with that client. Then run anoth…

• I would statically address one client, just the DNS setting, to the Diet-PI/pihole IP address. There's no point in upsetting the entire LAN for a test. (Two DNS servers or, more accurately, DNS "proxies" can be together in the same network, at the same time. This is NOT true where DHCP servers are concerned.)

• Quote from Agricola: “When I went to the dietpi-software section it showed pihole starred as if it were already installed but I could not figure how to access it to configure it. ” ipaddress/admin 192.168.X.X/admin Diet-PI is a bit odd. It seems like an extended process to get pi-hole running (in and out of menu's, setting a static IP, etc.). While the password is set on the CLI, my preference is to get pi-holes preliminary config set so the admin web page comes up, then wrap up the details it i…

• OMV4 Keeps Freezing

flmaxey - - General

Try memtest86 , the free edition. If you let it run for a day or two, doing a few passes, you'll have an indicator of whether it's hardware or software.

• Ok, here's an alternative that may get you past potential limitations with pi-hole running in a Docker and/or OMV: Using one of your XU4's, set aside the SD-card that has OMV on it, . Get another SD-card and load up Diet-PI (the XU4 is supported). Then load pi-hole onto the Diet-PI. Note that pi-hole is directly supported by the Diet-PI software installer. The menu's might be a little confusing at first, but you'll figure it out. ((**When prompted by the pi-hole install, set a static IP address.…

• Quote from Agricola: “I noticed at the very first of the section of your how-to on unbound where you say that unbound doesn't work if dnsmasq plugin installed with OMV. Maybe I have a similar situation with my router. ” This doesn't apply to your router. This is about having two different DNS functions (dnsmasq and unbound) running on the same host at the same time. __________________________________________ The dnsmasq function, on the router, handles DHCP. If you disabled it, somehow, you'd ha…