Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 166.

• NAS - Time to choose

tom_tav - - My NAS Build

I use Raid5 with XFS for my media & nas server since years. Imho a good and easy solution for a media center. In your case it will be Raid1. P.S. did see your encryption requirement ... if you want to have your data secure, from paranoid point of view i wouldnt do it on the same machine where you run services like sickbeard or others with connection to the internet

• 40TB HW/SW Raid, ZFS/XFS

tom_tav - - General

Quote from cabrio_leo: “Quote from tom_tav: “All the small problems with zfs and omv 2.x did turn me away from using zfs back then ” Yes, you are right, there are some small issues with the ZFS plugin, in OMV3 also. But if one is familiar with the basic ZFS CLI commands that should be no big problem. ” CLI is no problem. I just try to avoid setups where you always have to fight with the gui and manually added changes. Like my netatalk 3x upgrade for omv 2. I ended up deinstalling netatalk from o…

tom_tav - - General

Quote from cabrio_leo: “Quote from tom_tav: “.. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too ” Which ZFS raid level do you intend to create to get a 40TB raid out of 4 x 10TB drives? ” Nah Brutto. But with standard ZFS calc 16GB is not enough for 27TB ZFS Level1, no? Btw. there is a nice calculator to get netto figures: wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl

tom_tav - - General

Thanks Leo, did see that post already. Still wonder if kernel support in 3.x is same as in 4.x ZFS related. All the small problems with zfs and omv 2.x did turn me away from using zfs back then.

tom_tav - - General

I have to add another question. Maybe i will add a fibre card & iscsi to the machine. Afaik i need to use the 3.x kernel for iscsi. Does the OMV3 / ZFS work with the 3.x kernel too?

tom_tav - - General

Need to upgrade one of my HP54GL NAS machines. Right now im using OMV 2.x, SW Raid 5 with 2TB drives and XFS. Now i will upgrade to OMV 3.x, 4x 10TB drives. Machine has 16GB of ram. I have some LSI9260 raid controllers laying around. Not sure which combination i should use: A. ZFS (is the implementation into OMV3 now good?) .. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too B. SW Raid 5 + XFS (which i use right now) C: HW Raid 5 (LSI9260) + XFS D: ??? Suggestions very welcome Thanks - Tom

• solved

• Regarding the 2nd controller for installation. I can move the omv boot drive to the temporary controller to avoid sync/delay problems and to have all raid drives on the same controller. Nevertheless after doing the replacement when i remove the 2nd controller the drive designations would change ...

• Whats the best way to exchange a raid5 disc (5 discs, xfs) in omv? Its still working but needs replacement due to smart status. I plan to put in another sas controller so i can add the drive to the raid as spare and do a replacement, my current controller has no more free ports. I assume this will lead to a faster rebuild time and less stress for the remaining drives then to put out the drive, put in the new one and do a rebuild/resync. Can this be done with the gui? With mdadm it would be someh…

• Smart Status Red - cannot find problem

tom_tav - - General

Thanks sub, that seems to be the case. I was distracted by value, worst, tresh and didnt look so much into raw value Seagate information is super helpful: knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/203971en Quote from sgt: “Seagate uses the SeaTools diagnostic software to test the SMART status of the drive. SeaTools does not analyze attributes or thresholds. As a practical matter, the technology supporting SMART is constantly being improved. Each new design incorporates improvements that increase …

tom_tav - - General

continue of ext status: General Purpose Log Directory Version 1 SMART Log Directory Version 1 [multi-sector log support] GP/S Log at address 0x00 has 1 sectors [Log Directory] GP/S Log at address 0x01 has 1 sectors [Summary SMART error log] GP/S Log at address 0x02 has 5 sectors [Comprehensive SMART error log] GP/S Log at address 0x03 has 5 sectors [Ext. Comprehensive SMART error log] GP/S Log at address 0x06 has 1 sectors [SMART self-test log] GP/S Log at address 0x07 has 1 sectors [Extended se…

tom_tav - - General

Hello Guys! One of my raid drives turned red. I dont figure out what triggered it. Pls can you explain me my problem. Thanks!!! smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [x86_64-linux-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, smartmontools.sourceforge.net === START OF INFORMATION SECTION === Model Family: Seagate Barracuda LP Device Model: ST32000542AS Serial Number: 6XW067VW LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0163e31d3 Firmware Version: CC34 User Capacity: 2,000,398,934,016 bytes […

• N3 runs with pam and everything on omv, here everything works. Unrelated to OMV? Yes, true if questions how omv does things internally are unrelated. And yes, if its just ok to ask the one millionth question like "is this motherboard good for omv".... little bit wondering.... but hey, its your decision. p.s. thinking if it makes sense for me to post here howtos or other infos ... cause this is unrelated for me too to help others here, im no omv member ...

• Ok, did understand the user authentication via PAM now. Still need a tip regarding the shared folders and their access rights. How is this handled? Via PAM too?

• Ja, i had pam already on my list. I could remap the password file, but this would be contraproductive And it wouldnt help with permissions on shared folders. Need to understand the shared folders / users / services connection

• Guys, new question where i got stuck (maybe i should go to bed....) Im playing around with a special configuration (on stoneburner): I have an extra LXC container with netatalk3 running, in addition to the netatalk3 in the root system. Reason: this LXC container is connected to another ethernet card to provide a second (isolated) backup system for a different lan segment (i know the lxc isolation is not perfect, but i can live with that for now) So far so good. What im wondering ... how is the u…

• Slow transfers from MAC

tom_tav - - CIFS/SMB

Get another mac client for testing, would make life more easy to rule out the client (or not)

• Any use for a second SSD?

tom_tav - - General

If your completely new to linux skip it for now

• Plex Update

tom_tav - - Plugins

I know, but i am a plex pass user .... did ask myself for what ... not many new functions and features released in the last year. But thats another story...

• Plex Update

tom_tav - - Plugins

Thanks guys! This worked without problems.