Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 406.

• Using 3rd partition on mmcblk0 for root?

Adoby - - General

The way I would do it: Remove the SD card and insert it into my Linux laptop with a SD card reader. Start gparted. Delete the third partition. Resize the second partition. But if you really need to do this you are doing something wrong. Seriously. You shouldn't need a bigger rootfs. Use the hdd instead! Edit: How come your rootfs is so small? It usually is about 7GB. So it might make sense to increase it? I typically use 1GB of 7GB.

• Gradual loss of speed rate

Adoby - - General

Linux use available RAM to cache reads and writes. When both computers run out of caches, after a while, you get the best speed the chain of hardware and software can support sustained. You can try to replace parts to figure out what is the bottle neck. And try with different computers. Also as a filesystem fills up it typically slows down. Make sure you have at least 80% free. Try with a single empty ext4 HDD/SSD instead of the RAID5 array... Try nfs instead of ftp and smb.

• Unable to complete file system creation

Adoby - - General

It could be that you don't have a hdd but an expensive door stop. Do you have warranty left? You said it was a new drive, so you should. Just return it. What does SMART say about the drive?

• I'm sticking to my HC2s with huge hdds and nfs/ext4. Has worked fine so far. But I'm also experimenting with a backup utility that can provide automatic bitrot detection and correction on ext4.

• Unable to complete file system creation

Adoby - - General

In gparted you should be able to delete the current partition table and create a brand new gpt partition table. And carry on from there. Run SMART tests to verify that the drive is healthy. Not out of spare sectors to replace bad ones. Secure wipe should be fine but not necessary.

• Missing space on boot drive...

Adoby - - General

It is possible to copy /var/lib/plexmediaserver to the filesystem on the HDD and link /var/lib/plexmediaserver to that location. I did this before I started using Emby in Docker. This is especially important if you have the rootfs on a SD card. By moving /var/lib/plexmediaserver from the SD card (or a normal USB thumbdrive) to the hdd you get more space, better performance and less wear on the card.

• fsck on large 6Tb disk fails

Adoby - - General

Yes, re-partitioning, formatting and THEN running fsck and finally restoring from backup may be much faster. Another option could be to stick the drive in a fast computer, to a dedicated SATA controller, with a crazy amount of RAM and run fsck there. Yet another to make sure the computer running the fsck has plenty of swap enabled on a NVME SSD.

• Network Error after change to Static

Adoby - - Network

I don't set my IP to fixed in OMV. Instead I set it to fixed in the router. That way I can also assign a name to the OMV server and use that instead of the IP. My router runs dnsmasq. forum.openmediavault.org/index…32a1703751f1d102baf0a4eed

• If you have a decent HDD it will have the write cache enabled already, even if it doesn't show in the OMV GUI. You may see it in the SMART diagnostics? If you don't reflash to set the spin down time you get the default. 2-3 minutes I think. That may be a little short. There will be a short delay as the drive spin up. Every time. Would drive me nuts if it happened too often. And, I assume, a power spike. I set my spindown to 30 mins. Some set it to a couple of hours. If you have things like trans…

• When you install the docker GUI, it will by default use /var/lib/docker to store docker images and so on. This is on the SD card. If you use just one or two small docker images, that are not often updated, then that is most likely fine. But if you want to you can change the docker base path to a shared folder on the HDD. There is more room there and big docker images and frequent updates is no problem. You can change the base path at the same time you enable the docker GUI: forum.openmediavault.…

• Try skipping step 15. Some hdds are incompatible with hdparm and activating ANY of the physical disk properties may cause them to unmount and fail to mount on reboot. I tore my hair for a few days before I figured that out. It is mentioned in several threads... Quote from Adoby: “Problems along the way... Today my setup is very stable. I just check the snapshot folders on nas3 and nas4 to verify that everything is backed up OK. But there were some nasty problems along the way. There were problem…

• Backup to an old NAS

Adoby - - General

There has been threads where users report full rootfs and crashed OMV. I suspect that is from writing to a mount point in the root fs that is not mounted, for some reason. I prefer not to take the chance. And using rsyncd is a good way. However I have found that syncs are slower over SSH than over nfs.

• direct download servlet

Adoby - - General

You can run wget from a cron script. And download whatever you want, whenever you want. Mirror download sites or individual files. labnol.org/software/wget-command-examples/28750/

• Helios - HC2 - Or Microserver?

Adoby - - My NAS Build

Quote from calexm: “@Adoby I know that you are using HC2 for your setup, so here a question if you can help me with. I just installed OMV 4 on my new HC2. I plugged my CAT6 cable into the device and booted it. I see that the light on the Ethernet port of HC2 is ambar instead of green, that means network is working on 10/100mbits instead of 1000mbits. Is there any set-up that I'm missing? The router I'm using is new and 1000 mbits capable and the CAT 6 cable too. Thanks. ” No. I never did anythin…

• Just another install problem....

Adoby - - General

I'm pretty convinced the SD card is bad. What else could it be? Get a new card. A good card. I've had a nice Transcend 16 GB card that hardly had been used fail on me. Never could figure out what was wrong with it, but it just wouldn't work. Tried with other cards and it worked fine. Both Class 10 Transcend and SanDisk A1.

Adoby - - My NAS Build

Sure, I run Emby in Docker. Works fine. Three things you might want to consider: 1. When you install Docker, first create a new shared folder to use for the Docker images. You don't need to actually share it. Then use this shared folder as the Docker base path. Don't use the default /var/lib/docker folder on the SD card. This step is usually skipped in most guides. 2. Before you actually install a Docker image create a new shared folder for the docker image configs, with separate subfolders for …

Adoby - - My NAS Build

The HC2 is not very impressive for transcoding. But if you have a decent network and clients it is easy to stream the original file and let the client scale on the fly. That is what I do, using HC2 and Emby, and it works just fine. If you REALLY need to play a 4K video on a small screen over wifi you can have Emby transcode the file in advance. Or have Emby download the file to the device. I have found HC2s with OMV to be a fast, compact, easy to setup, robust and efficient way to make huge HDDs…

• Backup to an old NAS

Adoby - - General

I only backup to other servers. Just mount the OMV server somewhere on the old NAS and run rsync to backup the OMV NAS to the old NAS. I'm pretty certain that the old NAS supports mounting remote shares, running rsync and cron jobs. It may be dangerous to mount the old NAS on the OMV NAS and run the backup from the OMV side. The reason is that a dropped connection or other problems may cause rsync to spew files to the mount point, and fill the OMV NAS. Possibly crashing OMV. I use autofs to moun…

• Squeezeslave

Adoby - - Docker

I only use dedicated players, either original squeezeboxes or some headless Raspberry Pi Zero W with DACs and piCorePlayer. Great in combination with active speakers that have USB power out and line in. There seem to be docker images for squeezelite. I haven't tried any... hub.docker.com/search?q=Squeezelite&type=image

• Master password failure

Adoby - - General

I assume that either you try to connect with the wrong IP or you are not even connected to the same network. Or your network is badly configured with IP collisions. Another possibility is that you are using some exotic network setup with multiple network interfaces that are not recognized by debian. If you describe your network and your server and what you have done so far, outside OMV, to servh for errors, that may help. ping? nmap? DHCP leases?