Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from tkaiser: “Since OMV is not needed at all why not disabling it then anyway? ” Perhaps @Nefertiti may be interesting in doing this. ______________________________________________________________________ Quote from tkaiser: “I really don't think any 'assistant' is needed for stand-alone installations. ” I suppose that would depend on the user's skill level. In any case, this would be a user decision. ______________________________________________________________________ I'm not intereste…

• Quote from tkaiser: “On the OMV image all that's needed to install Pi-Hole directly is calling armbian-config: ” If direct installed to OMV, Pi-hole conflicts with OMV's web console for port 80. Without exclusive access to port 80, pi-hole can't do full page blocks. There are work around's for that, such as opening OMV's console on another port, but that gets into a non-standard OMV install. (The port 80 issue was the reason behind putting pi-hole in a Docker, with a MacVlan interface.)

• Quote from Nefertiti: “Me too I just want to use it for pihole since it is not functional on my Rockpro 64 ” Pi-hole is among the software package add-on's supported in a Diet-Pi install. After Diet-PI and Pi-hole is installed, Unbound will direct install to the R-PI host. You could use it as a DNS appliance (which is one of the few good uses for an R-PI).

• How about a work around, until someone comes up with something better? (With apologies to @KM0201 , who is not a Windows fan. ) Download and install PuTTY on a Windows client. It will get you onto the R-PI's command line, by SSH.

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Here's what it looks like. It was quick and easy, and the gain easily offset the loss of the window. (It's in a closet so we don't have to look at it. Yeah, that "window" is in a closet. ) forum.openmediavault.org/index…4b702f457552b9378668db8e7 I think I'm going to buy a pair of yagi's. I can think of a couple uses, for reusing them here, after we sell this house. With a clear line-of-sight, yagi's will connect two wireless routers, that are a mile apart (give or take).

• The Class E Network

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

I'm at the old house and was without an internet connection. (I disconnected internet, VIA a cable modem, a few months ago. I couldn't see paying the full fare for a couple days a month.) Since my sister-in-law lives two houses up the road, with internet access she rarely uses, I threw a wireless router between her modem and PC, added a high power repeater/extender on the wifi side, and put it her window. (For line-of-site.) On my end of the link, everything worked, until I closed the window... …

• Admin password stops working

flmaxey - - General

This "seems" odd enough,, a successful login where credentials are invalidated afterward. The only items that comes close to this, in recent memory, were an unstable clock and an incorrect time zone selection in the browser, versus the OS - where an app session would time out, before it got started. One way or the other, please follow up and post again with the final result.

• Windows 10 Network Discovery

flmaxey - - Off-Topic

Interesting.... I have yet to notice this. Is it just a matter of (re)selecting "turn on Networking Discovery" ? Or does it affect access by IP address (mapped drives and short cuts) ? ____________________________ It's also interesting that this loosely coincides with a bit of code that would make it possible for Linux servers to be discovered by Win10 platforms.

• Proxmox Kernel

flmaxey - - General

Quote from hoppel118: “I like the situation that host and guest use the same kernel! ” I missed this post - it makes sense when running guests on a virtualization platform. __________________________________________________________________ Have you noticed, about how often the Proxmox kernel is updated? Does it at least "loosely" follow Debian kernel updates?

• One last general item I forgot to mention: Some of the older server platforms can be LOUD. The old Intel box I have, when it's first turned on, sounds like a jet idling on a tarmac, in the distance. The sound level drops quickly, when the speed of case and cpu fans drop, but it's still louder than a typical workstation during normal op's. The noise factor on some of the older servers is not to be taken lightly, especially if you plan to store yours in open living spaces. (I put the Intel and oth…

• Quote from denny2k2: “Noticed there were a few Dell T1700's going cheap on ebay ” I took a look at some of the T1700 offerings. The following is based on -> this listing. Here's the spec sheet. To check CPU bench marks, look here for Passmark CPU scores. The Xeon E3-1225v3 3.20GHz scores 7229 That's more than enough to run OMV and Plex, even with a transcoded stream to a portable device. You could easily add-on Dockers and, with 16GB of RAM, a VM or two. _________________________________________…

• Backup to an old NAS

flmaxey - - General

When it comes to the command line; I don't have the raw Linux experience the rest of these guys have, in this thread, so I sort of "back into" CLI implementations based on observations of the way things are done in the GUI, a bit of poking around in the confg files on the boot drive, and man page lookups. While Shellinabox works fine, you might want to take a look at a SSH client like PuTTY. (There's nothing wrong with Shellinabox - PuTTY is just an alternative that has a few extra capabilities.…

• Backup to an old NAS

flmaxey - - General

Quote from flyinjoe13: “If you think it's okay to push the data, I will do that instead. ” With a nod to @Adoby 's caution RE mount points on a boot drive, are you still interested in pushing to the Buffalo Box? I've pushed before, using two hosts on a local LAN without any negative effects, but I have to add a caveat on that. I didn't run that setup for long periods of time. The risk Adoby mentioned could be mitigated, depending on what you plan to use as a boot drive and with OS backup. I beli…

• Because I'm not spreading BS. And you're one to talk about BS? BS is telling users that an UPS is not necessary. That, somehow, running without an UPS is a "sign of progress". You have heard of lightening strikes, right? There's any number of AC line mishaps that can result in equipment that is not totally fried. (Dead is easy to deal with.) It's far worse dealing with intermittent issues that can result from blown gates in CMOS circuity. In the bottom line, particularly where protecting irrepla…

• Quote from brucefan42: “I'm using urBackup in my 2012 Essentials Server because I could never get the provided backup to work with pretty much any of my computers. ” I had the same problem. GPT partitions and UEFI seemed to end any possibility of being able to do a Windows Client bare metal restore. When this became apparent, Windows servers went out the door. Curiously, open source server software seems to be better supported and is less likely to, suddenly, be dropped. Quote from brucefan42: “…

• I suppose you completely missed the permissions issue altogether which was the main topic of this thread? (You know, where the user was considering "closing the door" on the renegade.) Where were you for that? Oh, that's right, you don't do general questions, do you? (As you've put it yourself, "No patience".) It's either "storage throughput" or "toy hardware". Quote from tkaiser: “Seriously. Why can't you stop your constant annoying babbling, silly advices and badmouthing? The issue is totally …

• Just another install problem....

flmaxey - - General

(I'm going to assume you ran error tests on the SD-cards to eliminate that possibility. That's recommended, even if they're new.) That leaves the hardware itself, or the power supply. You could try the PS for a smart phone, as a test. But, really, none of that makes any sense if another image (Raspbian) works. It seems to point to the OMV image itself but that doesn't make sense either. Here's the thing to note in that regard; the OMV R-PI image is downloaded a couple thousand times a week. If s…

• Backup to an old NAS

flmaxey - - General

Quote from flyinjoe13: “In reading up on it, it seems that my old NAS doesn't support rsync ” It doesn't need to (support rsync). You can "push" data from OMV, to your old NAS, using the Remote Mount plugin and rsync on OMV. All you need is a username + password with write access to the Buffalo box. (Most likely, your Windows username and password has write access.) Once the Buffalo network share is mounted in OMV, it's almost the same as having the share local. (Even when setting up the Rsync j…

• Just another install problem....

flmaxey - - General

Just because a card will boot another OS, doesn't mean that it's good. (It might be that the other OS is small enough to where the error is outside of the install.) Starting with a new card of decent quality (no generic's) is a good idea. Further, without testing the image you downloaded, there's no way to know if the image is clean or corrupted. If you're looking for the processes to check the downloaded image and for testing an SD-card, you'll find them here. -> Guide BTW, since you're install…

• Quote from brucefan42: “1. Is partitioning the best idea? ” Given what it takes to restore a data drive from backup, I can't think of a good practical reason for partitioning a drive. Quote from brucefan42: “2. Does OMV with UnionFS provide pools with similar functionality as Storage Spaces on Windows? ” I'd have to qualify the answer and say, "mostly yes", because I don't know exactly what you're looking for. I haven't used Windows servers in several years (I had WHSv1 and 2011 BTW); but if you…