Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from flmaxey: “Pi-hole doesn't work with the Rock64 ” He's using a RockPro64 instead and of course Pi-Hole works there (since it works on any hardware with Debian). He simply struggled to follow your tutorial to get it running with Docker there. Quote from flmaxey: “OMV with Pi-hole-in-Docker doesn't work on the R-PI ” So he's repeating the procedure (getting Pi-Hole running in Docker on OMV) on another hardware which is 100% pointless since he also could try to figure out what went wrong …

• Quote from flmaxey: “such as opening OMV's console on another port, but that gets into a non-standard OMV install ” Since OMV is not needed at all why not disabling it then anyway? systemctl disable openmediavault-engined. And I was just making a bit fun since Pi-Hole is that easy to install (see the link @macom provided above -- it's a one-liner) that I really don't think any 'assistant' is needed for stand-alone installations. And I still don't get why not the real problem is addressed? Why sh…

• Quote from flmaxey: “Pi-hole is among the software package add-on's supported in a Diet-Pi install ” On the OMV image all that's needed to install Pi-Hole directly is calling armbian-config: forum.openmediavault.org/index…50ffd17904dbe3c95281702be

• Quote from macom: “why not install pihole directly without docker? ” Usually for security reasons -- see here or there (especially needing 4 months to fix stupid standard security mistakes is simply frightening)

• A lot of questions about OMV

tkaiser - - General

Check the readme.txt at the download location: sourceforge.net/projects/openm…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/ (the RPi needs to have Internet access at first boot and it takes some time until installation is finished. After one automated reboot OMV is ready).

• What am I missing here...

tkaiser - - General

Quote from flyinjoe13: “Most of them talk about needing 16gb of RAM ” Most of those people need to visit linuxatemyram.com (multiple times). Just had this two days ago with a colleague responsible for web servers living as VMs on a hosted server with 128GB. He thought he would need those 128GB since almost all the RAM is actually used. But a quick look after emptying the page cache on all VMs revealed that we're fine with less than 16GB. As for transcoding users ignore that there exists HW accel…

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Laui: “an how i login in this Terminal? ” Better not in this case. Why do you try out OMV in the first place? To operate in 'Linux expert' mode on the command line or to use it as it's designed by visiting 10.10.2.15 in your case? If you want to login directly on the command line you need to use root and the password you chose during installation...

• Admin password stops working

tkaiser - - General

In case things go weird again, please keep in mind that providing dmesg output here might enable others to help. Same goes for contents of /var/log/syslog. An easy way to provide both at an online pasteboard service is doing this: Source Code (2 lines)

tkaiser - - General

Quote from Laui: “What am i doing wrong? ” Using wrong logon credentials. 'admin' is for the web UI only accessible with a browser using the IP address shown above.

• My Closet Monster

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from reverendspam: “The old PSU was 400 watts. The new one is 600 and built better ” A spinning and active 3.5" drive needs less than 10W (only at spin-up there's a short consumption peak of up to 25W per disk) and amperage/watts ratings are rather irrelevant if the problem are for example voltage drops on the 5V rail (leading to drive resets) or 12V rail (preventing disks to spin up). Anyway: glad you got it resolved by exchanging failing hardware with new one. And I hope your choice of a…

• Quote from TrickyTrix: “I found out that if I run 'touch /forcefsck' that it will check file system after reboot ” It will check the rootfs which is totally unrelated to your mdraid.

• Quote from lenainjaune: “A solution that works ? ” Using /dev/disk/by-id for example: hellion.org.uk/blog/posts/hotswap-failed-raid-disk/ Those device nodes should contain the drive's serial (e.g. in /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM001-1CH166_W1F2QSV6 it's W1F2QSV6) so you can label your drive bays accordingly. BTW: mdraid-1 is IMO a really horrible idea

• Quote from macom: “I also have to mention that I recently did a rollback with snapper on the HC2 ” Yep, on the OMV images for ARM (except RPi and two or three other boards where I had bootloader troubles with btrfs) rollbacks are possible since we ship with btrfs for the rootfs now for a long time. But I'm almost always talking about btrfs for data shares and here it really gets interesting with OMV5 in the future since not 'everything outdated as hell' like today (Debian 10 relies on kernel 4.1…

• Quote from macom: “Just want to mention, that snapper is doing this ” Yep. But snapper only does snapshots and as such only prevents from logical failures (like accidentally deleting/overwriting data or when used on the rootfs after failing software upgrades allowing to revert to last known working state -- this was the problem @dkxls ran into years ago on OpenSuse and the challenges are outlined here). If you want to use snapshots also for 'real' backup protecting from physical failures then wi…

• cockpit on RPi

tkaiser - - General

Quote from NasAxMan: “W: Target Packages (main/binary-armhf/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list:1 ” This warning is the usual result of activating the backports repo an ARM where it's rather useless anyway. See Problem with omvextra repositories Looks like Cockpit relies on thermald while it could use sysfs to query the temperature. More info and maybe place to discuss: github.com/cockpit-project/cockp…

• Related: Improvement: Make unmounted /srv folders not writable by default

• Quote from dkxls: “I agree, my reservations for Btrfs are mostly based an FUD. Not the best way to make such decisions, but I can’t dismiss them straightaway either ” We're all affected by this and I would guess the older the more forum.openmediavault.org/index…50ffd17904dbe3c95281702be If things go wrong it's kind of a normal reaction to blame stuff that is new to you or unknown or not fully understood yet. Then instead of a failing/weak PSU dropping disks out of ZFS pools OMV's proxmox kernel …

• Quote from Goobs: “Root directory, "/", is at 100% capacity ” You need to umount all your /srv shares and then check the contents of each directory as outlined here: OMV4 - Systemplatte (120GB SSD) zu 94% voll? (Google translate version)

• Quote from daveinfla: “It took 2 hours to write a 32GB USB Thumb drive with Win32DiskImager, is there anything faster? ” Why do you think the software would be to blame? Which write speeds did h2testw report when you tested the drives for fake capacity?

• My Closet Monster

tkaiser - - My NAS Build

Quote from reverendspam: “I tried initially using ZFS on OMV, but zfs on the proxmox kernel was a bit buggy for me and not quite the same as on BSD. The freenas ZFS pool imported fine, the pool just would not stay connected ” Which was related to your power supply, right?