Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 33.

• After restarting NAS computer, within a day or two, OMV is unreachable--IP address cannot be found; therefore web GUI is inoperable. Currently, OMV's IP address is within the range of DHCP of the router, although this was happening previously as well, with an address outside the router's DHCP. It works fine for a while, then disappears from the Network. I will soon try a major reinstall (will try again to install ver. 4.0., and if that does not work, I'll reinstall 3.0--which I had to do the las…

• I shut the NAS down, and disconnected the disk in question. OMV has no way to see the disk, as there is no SATA connection to it, yet the disk is still listed in the File System ("By-label"), it's status is the same: Missing--and it is still referenced--"Yes". I feel I have made myself a Royal PITA with this. The comments I've gotten are not working out, and most have just given up commenting, I guess. I suppose my next step is to reinstall OMV, and see what happens with that. I'll wipe the one …

• Thanks @'KM0201. I think I did ask before about doing this. After doing so, the device still appears in other places. For example, under File Systems, it still appears as an ext4 device, but with no label, and the status is "Missing". Mounted says "No", but under "referenced" it still says "Yes." Though it is not mounted, it IS still referenced. Under Physical disks, it looked like the disk could be "Wiped". However, doing so appeared to have no real effect. The disk still appears in all the sam…

• As ryecoaaron directed, I reset the shared folder to another shared folder in Access Rights Management -> Users -> Settings -> Location. (I was not able to select None.) I was able to give it a new Relative Path in my attempt to re-label the shared folder, but the name and the Device name remain: /dev/disk/by-label/databackup, and of course it is still "Referenced". It's still listed in Shared Folders In Use with "config/system/sharedfolder" In the course of changing the Relative Path, I got the…

• Thanks once again to @ryecoaaron, who wrote the line in a post: "Install the openmediavault-resetperms plugin and it will add a tab - Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders -> Shared Folders in Use. It will show you where it is being referenced." It was amazing to me that this is the only place I found (on my 5th or 6th attempt at searching) which explained where this plugin would appear. Seems like there should be some kind of paper on installation and use of the plugins, and an index about…

• After a lot of googling and looking on the Forum, I was able to install the resetperms plugin. This is the first plugin I have installed, and I have never used any of them that I know of. Where do I go, what do I now to use the resetperms plugin? It's not obvious, and a lot of searching has not led me to what to do to use it.

• The share I am trying to change or delete, is listed in Access Rights Management/shared folders as "/dev/disk/by-label/[old name]", referenced YES. If I click on Edit, the device that is listed is not like the other shared folders, which identify the disk. This one just has a number under Device, with a long series of numbers and letters. But the path is still listed as the old label name. Privileges shows the User account I created, but no box is checked. (Read-Write, Read-only, No access.)

• Okay, good, now in Storage/File Systems it says the disk is Unmounted (though I didn't do anything actively to change the mount status.) I guess this unmounted it. HOWEVER, it still says YES under referenced, and the file status is "Missing". It still has the old name listed as part of the "Devices" description. It says, "/dev/disk/by-label/[old name]. So the old file system name has not disappeared. Could I now go and change the label somewhere? I guess I cannot wipe the disk since it is still …

• Thanks for the assistance. Yes, there IS a YES indicating the drive is Referenced. I figured that was the problem, but wasn't sure how to remove this. I have gone to SMB/CIFS and disabled SMB for that drive. However, that has not yet removed the YES reference. At one point I created a user(which I thought I needed for rsync), and that User now shows under Shared Folder Privileges in Access RIghts Management, even though none of the boxes are checked for Read-Write, Read Only or No Access. I don'…

• Sorry for the delay in getting back to this--I've been occupied with other things. @macom -- Thanks for your link. Yes, I saw and used your file extensively in learning about and setting up OMV. The PDF I had is slightly smaller, so there may be some changes/additions in the version you linked. I took another look at it. UPDATE TO THIS THREAD: I struggled with the many suggestions I've been given previously re: copying files within the NAS. I was about to give up on most of them, then I found a …

• I started out thinking I could just wipe the disk, and then set it up again and mount it with a new File System. However, I am not allowed to do this, nor to unmount it. I don't actually need to wipe the drive if I can just change the name of the file system. I found the following post by macom, Feb 9th 2019, in: Rename partition label "If you want to change the file system label the cleanest procedure should be: 1. remove all shares on that file system from the services 2. remove the shares on …

• Okay, since I found your explanation (and your clarification here) I may try to use Putty again, to at least understand how it works, but my preference as stated at the end of my longer post, is to see if I can use rsynch, as you suggested. I will try to focus on that and see what I run into.

• Okay, in trying to use Putty, I found a thread at Default SSH password "openmediavault" not work (OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img) with a post by KM0201 (#7) on how to create a User for sign in to SSH. Without further direction, I assumed this would all be done under SSH. I see now that I need to first create a new user under User. (A step that wasn't mentioned above.) Thanks to KM0201 for the clarity here. 1. Create a user under the "users" section of the webUI (remember usernames are cas…

• It seems the forum server was down for part of the weekend, so I wasn't able to get back here till last night. I apologize both for this being long, and that it may sound critical of some. I tried very hard to explain that I have lots of experience with computers and Windows, but little with linux or OMV; also, I hoped for reference to where to look for what was being suggested. I tried to follow the suggestions I could understand, but ran into roadblocks. I'd like to review some previous posts,…

• Okay, I am ready to say "Uncle". I was able to move all but one file (had too many characters in the folder string for Windows), but the transfer was really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY SLOOOOW! I am now Googling Putty, and I'll see if I can figure how to do the other drive that way. This was the smaller data drive.

• Thanks, ryecoaaron. This will help me make a decision.

• Can anyone help me with choosing between these three choices? 1. Log into my NAS using SSH--Where do I find instructions how to do that? 2. Simply restart the NAS with a Linux live CD and use a tool like Midnight Commander to rename two of my storage disks (ext4 file systems) and copy files from one drive to the other. 3. Use Windows, which is most familiar to me, to move the files from one shared drive to the other; then go into the web interface of the NAS, wipe the drive, and remount it with …

• Okay, thanks. Where do I find instructions on how to log in to my NAS using SSH? I suppose I could also restart the NAS with a CD with a linux distribution which has Midnight Commander on it, and move the files that way. Could I also rename the file system that way, and not have to wipe the drive in the NAS web interface? I am using the NAS from Windows normally, and all the drives are shared there, so I guess I could do the moving of files from the Windows shares. I get that it might be slow. M…

• Right. Okay, do I restart the machine with a live CD or USB with a Linux OS and use the tools on the disk, or is this something that I can do within the OMV OS? As I said, I am not very familiar with using Linux. I thought I could do this from Windows, copying files from one disk/folder to another,...but I don't hear anyone confirming that I should be able to do that. Edit: Here is what I am trying to understand--as a User with 30 years of experience with windows, who has only occasionally used …

• Thanks, I am not very adept at using Linux. Both of the drives are shared over my network via Windows. I have SMB1 implemented in Windows. I thought I could just select the files there and copy them to the other hard drive. When you say to use rsynch, I don't know if this is done through the OMV web control panel, or if I have to do it by accessing the root folder in OMV.