Rsync timestamps

• Hi all,

I'm new to OMV and have setup a new server with new disks in a ZFS array. I have an existing server running Nas4Free and want to copy over all data (~6TB) to new server. Rsync seems to be the most sensible way of doing this.

I have user 'nicks' setup on each server and this is the owner of all files on the Nas4Free server. I've setup a 'pull' job from the OMV server and looking at the params at the command line when the job runs it is as follows:

Code
    rsync --verbose --log-file=/var/log/rsync.log --recursive --times --archive --perms --acls --xattrs rsync://nicks@192.168.0.3/media /koopa/media/

The problem I see is that only some timestamps are retained. I expect timestamps are kept using the -a option as above. Also I note that a lot of files do not retain the owner 'nicks' and defaults to root.

Does anyone know why this could be? Do I need to run the job connecting as 'root' user (seems a bit unnecessary).

Thanks,
    Nicks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything looks fine from here, except that times and perms switches are redundant because you're using archive. No idea if that would cause ownership and times to get dizzy.

But as i understand from man rsync will only preserve mtime, not atime or ctime

• Thanks for the reply. It turns out, everything was running correctly but I guess the way rsync updates the timestamps is not how you would imagine. Performing a directory listing whilst the sync is running does not give you the correct attributes.

I let the sync job run until completion and I'm not sure at what point, but somewhere along the line the timestamps and files permissions sorted themselves out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!