Harden SSH

• Hello everyone,

I'm trying to harden SSH on OMV but I'm hitting a roadblock.

I've disable root login and forced key authentication only, anyway I'm struggling in hardening the ciphers, the key exchange algorithm and the message auth codes.

My ideal configuration would be something close to:

Code
    KexAlgorithms curve25519-sha256@libssh.org
    Ciphers chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com
    MACs hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com

But with this configuration, when connecting (I only used Putty and the built-in SSH client on the Mac) I get a connection error.

The most secure configuration I managed to get is instead:

Code
    KexAlgorithms diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256
    Ciphers aes256-ctr
    MACs hmac-sha2-256

Even simply adding the MAC hmac-sha2-512 prevent Putty from conencting.
    Adding any other Cyphers but aes256-ctr or any other Kex but diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 prevent Putty from connecting as well.

Do you have any suggestion on how to achieve the desired encryption level (which would get rid of all the less secure ciphers)?

Thank you.
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8
    HP DL360e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2700

HP DL380e Gen 8 + HP StorageWorks D2600

• Hi @WastlJ,

Thanks for your input.

I do have Key auth working, and to be fair with common ciphers that is working very good.
    I have got a 4096 bit key and I successfully connect when using:

• KexAlgorithms diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256
    • Ciphers aes256-ctr
    • MACs hmac-sha2-256

My question is actually, how do you get stronger ciphers working on OMV?
    The ciphers I want to use are stronger and more robust and they guarantee a higher level of encryption/security.

The one I want to use (and that seems not to work with OMV at this very moment) are:

Hope that clarifies my question.

Thanks,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• LOL :)

Yeah, I'd quite like to keep SSH as secure as possible given I get few thousands of random connection attempts from random IP's throughout the day.
    I'm aware this would be superfluous as nobody broke in yet but, given I do not rely on iptables (and therefore I cannot user fail2ban) I think this is the only option left.

ideally I would also like to reduce the timeout to 5 seconds (from the default 30 seconds) and increase the server key size to 4096 bit but I know the sshd_config file gets re-written at every reboot.

Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know people will argue but change the port you use. I went from thousands of random connections to zero. Keep doing everything else but obscurity does help some times.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @WastlJ, no, no public IP even though it never changes.
    I'm suing a CNAME (for a friendly URL) that via DynDNS points to my OMV as I need to access it from internet from time to time.

@ryecoaaron, as a workaround I've been turning off SSH and only enable it via the WebUI when I actually need to use it.
    As a workaround it does work as good as changing port I reckon. The only thing is that I was looking to secure the shell as a "best practice".

Regards,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, remember this is a home appliance. There are pretty simple steps to secure ssh, which you already use probably. This goes beyond

Those ciphers are not supported in the shipped sshd by debian. You should already now that looking at the man sshd_config. Then i guess if you want new ciphers you need a higher version of openssh. Backports wheezy comes with 6.6 this is the list from the man

aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-gcm@openssh.com,aes256-gcm@openssh.com,chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,arcfour

You need a compatible client also.

given I do not rely on iptables

What's wrong with iptables, you can start by changing the whole-default policy to DROP or REJECT, from there start opening services. This at least how i do it with a public omv i have and i am guessing many others do.

the sshd_config file gets re-written at every reboot.

The sshd config gets rewritten every time you modify or do changes in the ssh section. So you can change it if you want to, once you're sure that's what you want just don't do changes in the webui or issue a chatrr +i on the file.

If you still want to change some default values look at environmental vars http://wiki.openmediavault.org…Environment_Variables/all

• Hey @subzero79,

That is an excellent suggestion :)

I was not aware of these env variables which actually control the server key size and the grace timeout (2 things I was looking to change):

Code
    ssh: OMV_SSHD_X11FORWARDING=yes
    ssh: OMV_SSHD_KEYREGENERATIONINTERVAL=3600
    ssh: OMV_SSHD_SERVERKEYBITS=768
    ssh: OMV_SSHD_LOGINGRACETIME=120
    ssh: OMV_SSHD_PUBKEYAUTHENTICATION=yes
    ssh: OMV_SSHD_HOSTBASEDAUTHENTICATION=no

Nothing wrong with iptables, never thought they're inadequate or bad.
    I found sometimes difficult to work with iptables as given 2 of my OMV are running on Azure I may lock myself out.
    This happened when I tried once to DROP by default and allow 80,443 and 22 but I reckon I had set an incorrect order and that prevented me from using both SSH and the WebUI.
    This why I avoid using them if I can - just to avoid doing something stupid again :)

Of course this does not apply to OMV running on the HP Micrsoserver as I can always use ILO to connect via shell.

Regards,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von kavejo ()

• Yeah, I have been using knockd when on a CentOS VM on DigitalOcean.
    That was quite good and I was using a sequence to open the port and another to close the port (when a short open-time was not an option).

On Azure is quite different as even if you get a public IP you have n/w ACL's that controls the endpoints (for a max of 255 ports open per IP) which implies the used ports are quite easily guessable.
    This means, I would only have ~ 245 ports available for the knocking with which a 5 port sequence would imply 5^245 combinations; still a lot (5.5*10^174) but far more guessable than 5^65000.

I will be looking to change the following env variables as a starting point:
    OMV_SSHD_SERVERKEYBITS=768 to 4096
    OMV_SSHD_LOGINGRACETIME=120 to 5

I will also check if I can find any way to get a more recent version of OpenSSH (like the Wheezy back-port one you suggested).

Good calla bout the OSX Yosemite limitation due to OpenSSH 6.2.
    Will try to find out if El Capitan has got any update, SSH wise.

Thanks,
    Tommy

HP MicroServer Gen 8

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have port(s) open for openvpn though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!