Using OMV NAS system as a router?

• So, I have a OMV nas system with 2 gigabit network cards, And i want to know if i can use the IP routing plugin to have 1 cable from my modem, and then the other going to my network switch, is it possible?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't personally use OMV as a router, maybe you could look at solution like virtualization esxi or proxmox, a run omv as a VM, and another VM as a router like pfsense or openwrt. It would be easy with 3 nics cards, but i am guessing if you have a manageable switch you can use vlans

And i want to know if i can use the IP routing plugin

The route plugin? that's for adding static routes.

• I wouldn't personally use OMV as a router, maybe you could look at solution like virtualization esxi or proxmox, a run omv as a VM, and another VM as a router like pfsense or openwrt. It would be easy with 3 nics cards, but i am guessing if you have a manageable switch you can use vlans

The route plugin? that's for adding static routes.

i would use VM's but i only have 2 nics

• Offizieller Beitrag

So is it impossible to do it via OMV, or just im-probable

Is a debian distro you can do whatever you want if you know your way around. I am pretty sure there plenty of tutorials there to config dnsmasq, iptables for NAT and all sort of stuff to convert debian in a router (two nics should be enough).

ut (this is personal opinion) this is a NAS oriented distro, to convert it to a router it would be like some people here trying to convert OMV to an HTPC running kodi, at the end not is main target.

OMV serves it purpose just fine, overloading and putting OMV facing WAN directly...i wouldn't do it.

I like linux for router, but i prefer to have it in a dedicated device, like openwrt or tomato

• So, I have a OMV nas system with 2 gigabit network cards, And i want to know if i can use the IP routing plugin to have 1 cable from my modem, and then the other going to my network switch, is it possible?

Thanks

If you get a 3rd nic you could in theory run a router distro like IPFire in a vm.

• I'm building OMV & Router/Accespoint based on APU2 board..

For now everything goes ok..
    I install Debian Jessie + OMV Package..

+ i wish to test brtfs so i compile kernel 4.9.11 + new brtfstools

then I configure manually interfaces / hostapd / + add shorewall for iptables configuration..

I wish to OMV do not mess with mine configuration.. for now i just remove from (so maybe not the nieces way):
    /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf

folders interfaces.d, iptables.d
    and files interfaces, iptables..

Will by that enough to not use OMV for network& firewall configuration?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Until you update, then all of those packages will be replaced. If you want to do it a better way, delete all of the interfaces in the web interface and add a file in the run-parts (.d) folders that creates your config.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Removing those files is not best way- as You said.. but not only a problem with upgrate - it's hangs all OMV configuration scripts.. it's impossible to make any change in configuration OMV.. so i came back with those files.. And I commented the executive lines.. with 'cat' function..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!