OMV on USB with flash plugin

• Hi All,
    Preparing for an OMV build as a new NAS user, and reading up on the USB installation with flash plugin.
    As I dont have a spare small drive SATA/IDE drive around I am considering a USB install.

How reliable will this setup be if I install onto a USB, and how long can I expect the USB to last?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a couple of systems at five months with no signs of problems.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks thats good news.
    Is there any information to give any indication on expectancy? I am building for long term so wanting to ensure I am being reasonable.

What is kiiling the USB drives, the constant I/O writes? Does this app load the logs etc to the array drives to prevent it writing to the OS USB drive, or is it doing something different?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are building for the long term, I honestly wouldn't use a usb stick. I have little reason to doubt the stick might last a couple of years but I'm not going to bet on a stick that costs a few dollars.

It moves the heavy writes (logs, rrdcache, etc) to memory. You don't lose your entire log. Just the portion since last reboot.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• OK thanks for confirming.
    Next question - I've got a SSD which is a sandisk 256 EVO 850.. I guess that is in the same basket as USB stick? Am I best to purchase a new 2.5" mechanical?

I plan on using snapraid - should I have an OS failure, is there an option to easily transfer the configuration to a new OS drive and continue with the array?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I plan on using snapraid - should I have an OS failure, is there an option to easily transfer the configuration to a new OS drive and continue with the array?

Clone the OS drive with clonezilla whenever you make significant changes in the setup.

• There are USB flash drives with SSD controllers on board. They cost more than a regular flash drive, but have the advantage of more advanced wear leveling through the SSD controller. The Sandisk Extreme and Patriot Flash Voyager GTX are two product lines that I know of. They both have the same SSD controller as their respective manufacturer's budget SSDs. You can probably find more if you search.

These aren't as fast, and probably not as reliable, as a regular SATA disk for an Operating System drive. But it you are short on SATA ports or have other hardware limitations, they may be a good compromise solution.

If you do go with a flash drive, a larger capacity model may last you longer, as there's more capacity to spread the writes across,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!