looking for a fancy plugin for media streaming like daap, but better

• I'm looking for a solution to replace forkeddaap with something nicer. I was gonna install Kodi and use some Kodi remote app for media streaming, but I just updated to Stoneburner and I no longer see Kodi listed in available plugins. Emby looks nice, but I wonder if it's not commercial, backdoored crap and stuff. Up until now, I've been using VPN for remote access and I want to keep it that way if possible (don't wanna expose my media server to the internet).

How does this Emby work? Also, it seems rather like $69,99 than free to me (with cover arts and media sync).
    What would be the best alternative to those?

• I don't think you would be disappointed with Kodi, Plex or Emby. They are all good. You should just try them and see what you like. Plex and Emby are better for mobile devices if you want to watch things outside your LAN, which you said you did not want. The lifetime fee for Emby is not necessary unless you want the bonus features. Plex is probably better if you don't want to mess with metadata. If you want to really tailor some of it to your like Emby is the way to go.

• Thanks. I'll try installing Kodi and using this app https://play.google.com/store/…=ch.berard.xbmcremotebeta
    It's from the author of the app I've been using up until now with DAAP.

Also, is it hard to run Kodi inside OMV as a media center? There is a thread about running it headless
    XBMC-Server (headless/minified) Libraryscanner
    but I consider building a new OMV-based HTPC and running Kodi on top of OMV sounds awesome to me. Not sure if the media access woludn't be via 127.0.0.1 or would it have the ability to see specified storage directly (plus all USB devices and the USB DVD-ROM)... Would be awesome if someone would get interested in making a simpleto use plugin for this, or at least a tutorial.

• Some NASes have built-in mediacenter clients, so why not integrate Kodi into OMV, which usually doesn't use a display anyway? Most data access can be done via 127.0.0.1 if it's easier, but I'm worried about reading from USB and DVD-ROM. Sharing all resources would probably grant Kodi access to what it shouldn't have access to... but it's better than nothing.
    Perhaps granting it access to the USB ports(including a USB DVD-ROM) and the rest via loopback would work?

• so why not integrate Kodi into OMV

OMV is not intended to do this. Volker does not want this neither do the plugin developer. They simply have no interest in doing it. If someone want to do it, go for it. I just wanted to clarify that you won´t receive much help because nobody uses it like this afaik.

• Thanks. I'll try installing Kodi and using this app play.google.com/store/apps/det…=ch.berard.xbmcremotebeta
    It's from the author of the app I've been using up until now with DAAP.

I used Kodi/XBMC for quite a while, and I can tell you that the best Kodi remote so far is Yatse. I tried several ones, but Yatse is by far the best. I encourage you to give it a shot.

Regarding an OS, I can recommend Plex. I use it in tandem with a Chromecast and stream everything there. Make sure to have a relatively strong CPU in your server since the Chromecast might require transcoding for many video files (a Core2Duo can do the trick). However, if you still go with Kodi installed in a separate client device you won't be disappointed.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!