Virtualbox : Rsync "Alive" vdi to backup it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It might back it up but it will most likely be corrupt due to the file size and the VM changing data.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just adding my two cents here. I shutdown the vm I want to backup. Export that vm as an ova to a different folder. I Rsync that folder to my backup server. This also allows me to start the backed up VM on the other host if I need to do maintenance on my main OMV box. It's been discussed alot on the Virtualbox forums. Some people have come up with a way to suspend the vm and copy the snapshot. Other perfer shutting down the vm and then make a copy or backup. I went a step further I think by just exporting the VM after it is shutdown. That way I can restore it easily. Hope this helps. :)

• Hi caseyj,

Have you tried to pause the VM you want to backup ?
    You can do this with VBoxManage controlvm name_of_your_vm pause, then rsync and resume the vm.
    The vdi should not be corrupted, but it' is possible that you get warnings when you restart the VM from a backed up vdi, as the system did not shutdown properly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!