Accessing NAS services with same URL from LAN and WAN

• Hello,

currently I use dyndns and NAT on my home router to access my NAS from WAN.
    Let's say my dyndns address is <wan.net> and my NAS name is "omv". My router already resolves omv.<wan.net> to the same IP from inside LAN and WAN. Accessing services from WAN via omv.<wan.net>:<port> works, but gives failures if I try to open this addresses from the LAN.

E.g.:
    FTP: From LAN, logging into "ftp://omv.<wan.net>" gives "530 Login incorrect." but "ftp://omv" works.

Owncloud: Accessing owncloud from WAN at "https://omv.<wan.net>:<port>" does work, but times out with the same url from inside the LAN. In the special case of owncloud I am not even able to access it from the inside, because I needed to configure "'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://omv.<wan.net>:<port>'".

Any idea, what could be the reason for that?

Regards

• Hi,

My router already resolves omv.<wan.net> to the same IP from inside LAN and WAN

which adress is resolved? LAN or WAN?
    From inside your router has to point to your LAN adress.
    This is usually done by a static DNS entry in the router.

• I have an "Alice IAD WLAN 3232" route that is not very configurable (you are forced by German providers to use crappy routers). Could the dnsmasq plugin help me in this way?

• Don't know the plugin. But you'll have to face this complications:
    Your NAS will be the DNS server in your network; that means "always-on".
    The router has to propagate your NAS box as DNS server via dhcp.
    Should work, I would prefer to buy another router...

(you are forced by German providers to use crappy routers)

This is exactly the reason why I do not use the fritzbox of my ISP.

• I do not use exactly the dyndns.org service but another dynamic DNS provider, which is not in the plugin.

I think the owncloud configuration is correct in general. There is only a problem to reach the FTP and the owncloud service form inside by the global address.
    I guess I have to turn my NAS into a DNS and DHCP server for my LAN or buy a professional and configurable router.

• Cause my ISP would give me a fritzbox with a built-in cablemodem and a very special image.
    You cant't configure too much in especially these boxes.
    It was not my intention to bash fritzboxes in general. I know a lot of people who are very happy with them.

• Accessing services from WAN via omv.<wan.net>:<port> works, but gives failures if I try to open this addresses from the LAN.

The reason for this is that your router is not performing NAT reflection. There are ways to solve the problem. Here are two.

1) If your router can do NAT reflection, then enable it. Almost all SOHO type routers do NOT have this capability. Maybe yours does?

2) Edit the hosts file for each PC on your LAN where you want this to work. Add records like this, but use the correct local private IP address of the OMV machine. You may have to reboot or restart the networking service after editing the hosts file. Then you can use either omv.wan.net or omv and reach the server from the LAN.

192.168.1.10 omv.wan.net omv

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your router can do NAT reflection

NAT reflection sounds more advanced :D , like pfsense. His probably not gonna find it anywhere with that name. In most soho routers this is called the NAT loopback. It depends I guess of the router and if is ISP branded or not. On the fritzbox a quick googlefu tells me some have others not, and that was apparently removed for "security reasons".

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!