OMV don't let HDDs go to sleep

• Hi,

I just have 3 HDDs as a JBOD in my OMV. I played with some plugins, but many of them didn't work (I got an error while activating them), but most of them I've deinstalled actually. Up to 4 month ago the HDDs went to sleep. I can't tell, when it changed, but i think it was while updating to 2.x. Now no HDD goes to sleep, even if I change the power down time. I set it on 10 Minutes, but i think every 5 minutes something access to the HDDs (every of my HDDs got an own LED, and all of them are blinking once every approx 5 minutes). Even the new attached HDD with no shared folder or something! first i thought it could be the Plex Media Server (btw: it's damn slow while transcoding on a X2 4600+, the CPU has load of 100%, but the movie is like a flipbook), but even after deinstalling it, something access to the HDD. Actually I'm pissed of very much and I'm planning to install WSE2012R2 on my machine. Maybe you have some hints how i can solve my problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but i think it was while updating to 2.x

And you haven't install a single application in all this time? Unfortunately sourceforge is down to track the latest commits on HDD power management.

Maybe you have some hints how i can solve my problem?

Check with iotop which process is accessing which file system, maybe there is background daemon accessing the filesystem? also inspect the syslog.

Watch with iotop which process is

• No, i din't install anything. Only 2.1.

I'll check this when i'm home. but as i remember right i didn't see something odd there. Only Plex was accessing all the time (every 30 seconds or something like that) and gave some errors. that's why i killed it. I even deinstalled autoshutdown and and and. the only things still running, are: miniDLNA, Antivirus, SMB.

Another question: since I've installed 2.1, i didn't get any update, neither for OMV itselfs, nor for the plugins, nor for the omv-extras. Is this correct?

• I would like to install iotop, but i get the message "Fehlschlag beim Holen von http://ftp.de.debian.org/debia…ree/binary-amd64/Packages Beim Auflösen von »ftp.de.debian.org:http« ist etwas Schlimmes passiert (-5 - Zu diesem Hostnamen gehört keine Adresse)."

even apt-get update doesn't work...

edit: problem solved, i changed the dns server to 8.8.8.8

edit2: IOTOP says nothing access the HDDs.... the HDD LEDs just turn orange (access) for a second once every 5 minutes. first HDD0, then HDD1, HDD2 and at least HDD3. everytime the same row.

i stopped and deinstalled almost all plugins. just Clamav, SSH and SMB is running.

I get every some minutes this syslog:

/USR/BIN/CRON[28135]: (root) CMD ( cd / &&run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly

and every 30 secons: (...)space usage 89.2 % matches resource limit.

is some of them the problem?

• I did, but my HDDs was accessed just a minute ago...

i found from before another syslog: /USR/SBIN/CRON[4317]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5

maybe this?

This is the last chance for OMV on my big Homeserver, cuz before I reinstall this, I install WSE2012R2...

• hmm strange.
    I think that I'm building up a new, smaller server and install OMV on it. The Big One will get WSE2012.

Powering HDDs down is better for them i think, except if they are not a Server/NAS HDD. And with the saved money (energy..) you can buy a new HDD if it's dead after some years :)

• Actually I'm pissed of very much and I'm planning to install WSE2012R2 on my machine.

Have you ever thought about that it´ll be hard to get thoughts from us, when you write such things? Switching to another OS is absolutely legit. But being pissed off of an open source NAS software where you get so much help here in the forum...

• it doesn't matter if it's open source or not. It just have to work and i try to solve this problem for month ;)

Before OMV I used NAS4Free and FreeNAS. All of them worked, but had some disadvantages or bugs. That's why I used OMV for such a long time, because it was working fine and the improvements are great. But if a problem occurs which cannot be solved, I change the system, because the data is too important for a buggy OS (yes, I have backups). As I said, it doesn't matter if it's open source or not. I would do the same if it is windows or something else. When the problem is solved, fine. That's why i want to build up a second, smaller server with OMV to see, if i get the problem solved. OMV will stay in my homenet.

• because i think everyone should get a second chance, i reinstalled omv and made all settings new. but still no hdd goes to sleep..

edit: jbd2 is accessing all the time. Maybe this is the problem? And php-fpm pool is running as 3 processes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!