Emby Plugin unable to save images and subtitles etc. to shared media folder 'Movies' - Access denied

• Hi Guys

Firstly thanks for your help in the past on various other issues and now I ask you again for guidance, this time regarding the new Emby server plugin.

I love Emby and the new plugin as it works great for what I need with one exception, though I think this is my error and not the plugin, and that is artwork and subtitles cannot be saved with the media on a SnapRaid setup shared folder.

I have a SSD drive as my OMV system drive and three internal HDD's each used as data drives for various plugins (e.g. the plugin's own use and not mixed with the main shared folders for my media files). I then have 8 3TB Hotswap HDDs (2 parity and 6 content/data) managed under SnapRaid along with a main shared folder using Aufs. Under this folder called 'MainPool' I have my Movies, Audio, Images and Documents shared folders. Emby ran fine with the Emby Data Folder under Internal HDD No.3, but when I looked under the emby server management page I noticed all my subtitle downloads from opensubtitles.org and artwork files etc. were denied access to the 'MainPool'/Movies folder, as I save these with the media files in Emby settings (the default setting).

My question is, and bear with me as I am no Linux expert, what have I done wrong as I cannot find an emby user to give r/w access to the shared folders, similarly to the likes of couchpotatoe etc. or have I misunderstood what is needed with regard to the OMV plugin settings regarding the emby data folders. I want to keep plugin data folders separate from my media data folders but either I have set everything up wrong or having the data folders on a different HDD from the Media shared folders is not possible?

Any advice gratefully received, and thanks in advance.

Andy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I may be a confused
    ?( user but I have donated, so shouldn't you too!"

Silverstone DS380B 4+8 Bay NAS Case - ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac - Intel i5 4590T - SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP MV8 8Port SATA Card - 60GB SSD (OMV OS), 3 x 500GB 2.5" Internal HDD (Non-RAID Plugin Data Folders & Backups) and 8 x 3TB HotSwap HDD (Data RAID 6) - PowerWalker Inline UPS

• It is likely to emby using the group "nogroup" as user group. I once set it to "users" and my problem was solved.

I would contact tekkb in the Emby/Mediabrowser thread he is always a great help!

Edit:
    This restriction was put in place so that no movie could get deleted by accident via Emby, especially in the case if the plugin got removed (in the alpha stages it took one bigg movie library with it! - happened only once as far as I remember:

Therefore: ALWAYS have Backups!

• This was a conscious decision in the plugin to protect user data. The emby user is setup as a system user so it does not appear in the web gui. It's id number is somewhere in the 100s. You can get info. on it by:

id emby

Users can modify settings do what you wish. But if you do not know how to do it already is this something you should be doing?
    I would rather see a guide for people to adjust their settings so meta data/images could be saved directly into the data folders than to have inexperienced users make mistakes that would be hard to reverse, or even irreversible.

• What I don't get is that the following:

The old "mediabrowser" user was using "nogroup" so I could not save my metadata in my media folders. Back then I changed it to "users" and it was working well.

However I never changed anything for the user "emby" !? - never touched that one! So it should not be possible to save metadata in my folders, but it is working like a charm - could the reason be that my media share is set up in OMY to be used by "everyone"?

• Is the data in your folders from before???? It should use existing data that was there. But new data is likely being saved elsewhere by the database? Have you added something new and then images are put in the folder for it in your media share by Emby???

Here is big thing for me besides what is already said. I like my data intact and nothing to mess with it. I have 3 media servers setup. If one puts in meta data/images and something is not right I am not going to go through thousands of folders to fix it. I don't have time for this.

• No I did not change anything in the "emby" user and yes the saved data from "before" was added BUT new data also gets saved to my folders (pictures, nfos the whole lot).

I have purged your plugin like dozen of times and I did not loose my media files - as I said it is working like a charm.

• Code
    id emby
    uid=116(emby) gid=65534(nogroup) Gruppen=65534(nogroup)

So it looks like I didn't change anything

• Very strange.... I would like this guy above to try and add the emby user to the users group with that command and see if it works for him then.

as I save these with the media files in Emby settings (the default setting).

This is not the default setting. You have to put in a check mark which is not checked by default.

• Hi Guys

I did the usermod suggestion and everything seems to be okay now, well I have no 'no access' messages since doing so. I think its all okay now and thanks for your help, YET AGAIN, and thanks for being kind to a linux learner who's a little way up the steep learning curve. Windows has a lot to answer for making us so dependent on GUI's, though I am enjoying getting to grips with both Linux and OMV. Keep up the good work!

P.S. Yes I was wrong about the quote saying Default setting, I meant to say its a standard setting within Emby and not something I had done in the background like some Linux experts do now and again, so apologies for the confusion.

Take care guys,

Andy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I may be a confused
    ?( user but I have donated, so shouldn't you too!"

Silverstone DS380B 4+8 Bay NAS Case - ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac - Intel i5 4590T - SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP MV8 8Port SATA Card - 60GB SSD (OMV OS), 3 x 500GB 2.5" Internal HDD (Non-RAID Plugin Data Folders & Backups) and 8 x 3TB HotSwap HDD (Data RAID 6) - PowerWalker Inline UPS

• Glad you got it working Andy. This is good news too. I should add information about this usermod command to the Notes.

@blublub see post above. This is best method to make it fully functional and you do not have to change the group being used with the running the service.

• Do you mean manually download and add meta data??? There is a check mark you need to enter in the Emby UI too so this will work. Hold on I tell you where it is. Do you want meta data to go into the media folders???

For people that want the meta data going into they media shared folders see picture. You need to do this along with the usermod command in the Notes on the Settings panel of the plugin.

• root@Storage-PC:~# stat /media/dea8dc9a-3817-4869-bf55-f914da84071b
    File: `/media/dea8dc9a-3817-4869-bf55-f914da84071b'
    Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory
    Device: 12h/18d Inode: 2 Links: 20
    Access: (0777/drwxrwxrwx) Uid: ( 777/ UNKNOWN) Gid: ( 0/ root)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!