openmediavault-dnsmasq feedback

• System info: This system is a 64-bit Wheezy VM running Stoneburner 2.1.4 with a 3.2.0 kernel.

I've been using the dnsmasq plugin for probably close to a year now as my only DNS server on the network and have had no issues with DNS resolution (public or private).

Recently I've started using the DHCP more and that's where I'm running into some issues. I've noticed that many times I'll have a newly powered on DHCP system that has an active lease, but that lease does not show in the plugin. I can list the contents of /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases and find the IP of the system (if I know that MAC ahead of time), but it can get cumbersome with more systems on the network. I tried reducing the lease time to 1 hour in hopes of it trying to refresh and display all the leases, but that doesn't seem to make much difference.

The first problem lead to the second, since all leases aren't always displayed I decided to make Static dhcp lease assignments. After every attempt to create a static lease, it would display an error message. Yet after logging out and back into the web-interface I would see the static lease that I tried to create.

However when I tried to power on the system (of the static lease) it would be issued a different IP address. Usually one IP integer number greater than it was previously. I then tried creating the static lease from a current lease that was shown, but it was the same error and sequence as before.

Lastly I tried to enable additional DHCP logging via the plugin, but that returned an error too.

I don't believe I have anything misconfigured, or maybe I'm not entering the static lease information in correctly? I've been trying to figure this out, but right now just looking for any help or advice, but also curious if there's anyone else out there seeing the same thing?

I've attached some pictures that hopefully will help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think it doesn't show the second system because you have more than one system with the name * in the leases list. I can't test so try this package to see if it fixes.

After installing, can you post the output of the following: omv-mkconf dnsmasq

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I didn't realize that two or more system names with * would be the break down, but you're probably right. Although I'm not sure how I'll know ahead of time is any system on the network will fall into that category?

I've installed the new package (thank you) and here's the output of "omv-mkconf dnsmasq"

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was hoping the change in the package would allow for more than one system with * for a name. Did it fix the listing? What about the command omv-mkconf dnsmasq 2>&1

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• No, I don't believe that did make a change. The .161 system still doesn't show in the plugin. I'll see if I can "add" a hostname to either of those systems but I'm not sure if I can or not. the .161 IP system is a factory OS pogoplug and the .176 system is a APC SNMP network card.

I appreciate the help and all that you've done, and I'll try to do some more testing. This is one of those services than I think many take for granted?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, the leases list should be ok in the latest package (same location). Try it out and then we can work on the static leases.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!