Hi there, cant install Debian on RAID1 2xSSDs, any help?

• Hi there,
    Since i decided i also want to install ProxmoxVE on this Gigabyte NAS box i have. I decided to first install Debian 7 and on top of it install OMV and ProxmoxVE.
    But i have already tried many times and googled around for the info. I suppose i have here some PEBDAK (or maybe even worse, some Ubunru - as in ancient African word for cant install Debian) issue.
    What i am trying to do looks something along the lines of what is described here: http://unix.stackexchange.com/…h-two-ssd-disks-in-mirror
    And i have tried already many times and googled and googled. But i cant get it booting after the installation. It mainly first complained about not having the EFI partition. And i have also tried changed the Bios settings from EFI to the other setting. Nothing helps. Even posted here already before: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=201448

Whatever i do it just doesnt work.
    What im trying to do is to install Debian 7 on the two SSD disks that i have added to this Gigabyte box, in RAID1 setup.
    But what is then the right partition layout? Do i need also a /boot partition or only EFI boot partition? And/or can /boot be on raid1?
    Anyone any ideas? Some noob friendly Debian 7 raid1 guide maybe?
    Thanks in advance,
    BH

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does it makes a difference?

Yes it does, debian USB stick installers have a bug, they install grub in the same stick, causing the OS never to boot after install.

Now back to your problem, disable EFI is not necessary. The approach is correct slicing the disks and then partitioning identical way each other, then conform two raid1 arrays one for swap one for rootfs.

The problem might be having two disks, the installer pipes grub to only one disk. So to make sure:

1) leave physically connected just the two SSD disks that are going to be used as OS array. That is normal procedure to not confuse data disk with OS one.
    2) Either fire the console and install the grub also to sdb after the grub installer, or make sure you know which disk has the grub and select that in BIOS correctly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!