Is it safe to upgrade glibc?

• Hi everybody,

I really need the glibc 2.14 libraries but OMV is based on Debian 7 so there is only 2.13

Now I thought about adding the experimental repos to the apt sources and now I would be able to install them but because of dependencies it also would change and remove some other packets (like "locales") and I am not sure about them being important for OMV operations. Is it safe to do this?

Here is the dry-run-output of apt-get:

Best regards and thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

NO. Bad idea. Even harder to go back. Try it in a VM. You will see.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for your fast and clear response.

Is it right that there are no near-future-plans to upgrade to a newer Debian (Jessie) release which would be then with glibc 2.14?
    So then OMV is not suitable for me, very sad because I really like the webinterface. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 3 will be based on Jessie but I have no timeline for that. What do you need glibc 2.14 for? You could always run the program in a docker or virtual machine.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• It is needed for a gameserver software.
    In the meantime I followed your hint with the virtual machine and intalled KVM-QEMU.
    Server is running, performance is ok. Would be better without virtualization. I will give it a try but if performance is too bad, I will revert back to old-school administrated Debian-Server without OMV :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try docker with jessie. Performance should be almost bare metal.

• Mastada, may I ask which gameserver software? @bonkersGER has half a dozend gameservers running inside a single vbox vm (running windows).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!