Accessing Samba shares from outside home network

• Hello

My idea is to be able to access the samba shares in my home local network when I am not home. Say, access them from my computer at work or from my laptop when I am not at home. Therefore, I have a couple of questions (my apologies in advance if some of them are absurd. I handle myself relatively good with computers, but when it comes to networking I am a caveman):

1. For what I've read, this can be accomplished using OwnCloud. Then, I would access my shares thru the OwnCloud website/app, isn't it?

2.I found also that it can't be done using OpenVPN. OpenVPN allows me to tunnel my connection from wherever I am to my house (where my OMV PC sits) and from there out to the internet; meaning that I may be able to access my OMV Web GUI with all its plug-ins but not my home network. Am I right?

3. According the OpenVPNas description in the stable plugins section, it states that "(OpenVPNas) supports a wide range of configurations, including secure and granular remote access to internal network and/ or private cloud network resources". Does it mean that OpenVPNas offers the same bells and whistles from OpenVPN plus the possibility to access my network resources (aka network shares)?

Thanks in advance!

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Offizieller Beitrag

2. Incorrect, you might access all your network resources, with proper routes and forwarding enabled. This is the best option. Openvpnas has a nice webui but limited to two simultaneous clients. Go for and openvpn server in routed mode (tun), you can mount samba, nfs, whatever. Ethernet frames wont pass, but shouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks for the fast response! Ok, that is what I needed to know. In that case, I'll go with OpenVPN.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• If you are just using Windows clients you can use a bridged VPN with OpenVPN AS. This would allow broadcasting and your windows machines would be able to discover your machines and network shares. The problem is most people are using more devices withe their VPN, like mobile devices. So a routed VPN is usually used that is not able to use broadcasting through to the VPN. You should be able to mount shares with devices connected to the VPN with OpenVPN AS as well. The shares are just not discoverable via the Network icon in Windows.

• Thanks for the further explanation. I already decided to go with OpenVPN. I use also my Android devices, therefore OpenVPN will be better.

Custom mini-ITX build

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!