Place /var/log into ramdisk to reduce disk write and allow spindown of OS disk

• OMV 2.x
    • Place /var/log into ramdisk to reduce disk write and allow spindown of OS disk

Hi,

I've done some searching on the forums, but couldn't find an anser to my question. Moreover, perhaps this is more or less a feature request; didn't know where to put it.

The basic idea is to allow the OS disk to be spun down to save energy. How to achieve this?
      1. Create a ramdisk of about 20MB
      2. Mount it as /var/log (I'm assuming all OMV disk writes go here)
      3. Use a cron job to flush/sync the contents of the ramdisk to disk
      I know that some NAS manufacturers use this trick to allow spindown of disks.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
      If I need to configure this myself: does anyone have an overview of all processes that write to disk, when and where?
    • Just install the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin. It will do basically want you want except for #3 (not yet anyway - syncs when you shutdown). If you have UPS, you won't need to worry about #3.
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Can't install it through the omv-extras plugin. It doesn't list the flashmemory plugin (or any other plugin for that matter) at all.
      Perhaps there is no PowerPC deb for it?

I can always add a cronjob to do the sync somewhere in the middle of the night, or once per week right?

The post was edited 1 time, last by hans82 ().

• Try now. Just put it in regular omv-extras powerpc repo (stoneburner).

I guess you could if the logs are that important to you :) Never tried it though.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • I don't look at the graphs much. Losing the rrd data wouldn't bother me :) You wouldn't lose it all. Just the new files since the last reboot. You could schedule a reboot once a week. That would sync the files.

• I guess you would need the entire OS to run from ram then. So, I guess you are out of luck.

• I think it's enough to figure out what is reading from and writing to disk, and move that to a ram disk and use some scripting to flush it every now and then.
      Already turned off collectd and rrdtool, because they write a lot to disk and I don't really need it.

Too op bad I can't run iotop to see it, because my kernel doesn't contain the required options.
      Maybe if you start hacking your MBL you will figure out how to add that option :)
    • I spent years with Gentoo configuring and building kernels. Not hard at all. Just need to find what enables it.