[REQ] VLC Media Server Plugin

• All People Aboard! I am going to explain the magic within minutes.

Q: Why do you request a VLC media server plugin? Do I really need this?
    A: Obviously, I think you would.

Q: So you mean I can't stream my media without a media server?
    A: You can without a media server - but that's not the point I want to make.

Q: So why do you request it, then? I am streaming for over years just by clicking my movies within my shares.
    A: On a local LAN, yes, you should have no problems at all. But have you ever looked at the file size of HD movies?

Q: Eehhrr... That's mostly around 16GB I guess... So what's problem?
    A: Many people in this world want to stream their media also to locations whose not within their homes.

Q: Cool. So open up a router port, note my public IP address and I'll be fine right?
    A: If we are talking about streaming MP3's and show holiday pictures, there won't be too much of a problem. Only a very small amount of people have the access fo fast broadband (fiber) connections. Mostly the download is fast, but upload speeds are dated. In fiber, the upload speeds aren't a problem. The problem is still nearly nobody has the ability to buy a fiber connection - the infrastructure just isn't there.

Q: I remember. The last time I used OpenVPN to stream that HD movie over my broadband connection it took 10 seconds to load the first second of the movie. I considered it unwatchable. So I need to blame my broadband for it? How will a media server help?
    A: A media server can transcode a movie realtime. For example, scale down the bitrate and send out a different resolution/HD profile. This will make the packets fit into your bandwith and you can watch without hiccups.

So lower the quality of the movie somewhat to watch without hiccups! That's brilliant! I assume this isn't needed on my own LAN as well?
    A: No. Off course, this is not the best solution. The best solution, off course, is to build fiber connections to the homes, but that will take years.

So that is why I am asking for a media server. Many would benefit. VLC, in this case, is one of the Open Source options.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• use sreviio it is a dnla server with a web front end for streaming and a streaming app for andriod based phones. It has realtime transcoding and is light weight enough to work on low powered machines. I use this service for all my streaming purposes, in the house and when I'm away. I'm able to stream HD movies through my cellphones 3g connection. http://www.serviio.org/

• Hi,

I use plex to stream to our smartTVs, android phones, iPADs, Windows and OS X machines..., but it i not a plugin, so my response might not be the better one...

Cheers Steen

CPU Atom D510, 2MB RAM, SSD 40GB (OS), SSD 120GB (Data), OMV 0.5.8 (Sardaukar) + Plex Media Server

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!