OMV Iscsi on 10G as Xenserver sr storage

• Hello All,

I am in process of validating storage solution for small Xenserver platform that should serve as svn code compiling ,for the validation i am using following hardware/system:
    Xen host HP dl 360 with 48gb + dp 10G sfp+ Intel nic , one guest installed with Windows 2k8r2 system disk is on local and attaching Iscsi drive as second drive for the code compiling
    Storage Intel sr2600 64GB + 6xST6000NM0004 (seagate) OMV 2.1.8 installed on sandisk usb SDCZ48-032G ,iNTEL 10g dp, raid Z2 volume is created with ZFS plugin 0.64,
    both connected 10G peer with jumbo frame MTU is set to 9215

I tested both Freenas and now OMV for performance with two parts first part internally with various DD tests
    In average i got better performance with OMV around 1.6GB/s both r/w
    On other hand when attaching iscsi device and assign drive to guest i got superior results with freenas under windows testing with
    crystaldiskmark while with most of tests i get around 550/450MB/s only 4K test around 10/12 MB/s same as with OMV , with OMV most of tests where around 120/110MB/s

So my assumption are that probably Iscsi settings is not optimized and my question would be, what is the best setting for iscsi under 10G network ?
    Please advice
    Thanks

• OK, unfortunately ISCSI was not stable and evry change i made to it made the OMV hang ,and i didn't got any feedback so i have to be proactive and move back to Freenas
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

You didn't give much time for a response. Most people don't have that kind of hardware/setup on this forum so responses can take longer. Were you using the backports 3.16 kernel on OMV?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried nfs or samba to see what kind of performance you get from a different service? What is the output of ethtool for the 10g adapter?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wasn't trying to convince you to use a different service. I just wanted to know if you tested a different service to see if it reached higher speeds.

• No problem :-), just stat about current setup recommendation, i can try with NFS and let you know , but as i mention on my first post
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/po01/temp.dat bs=4M count=10000 (zfs)internally gave better performance than Freenas ,i am sure that something on the Iscsi setting is not optimal
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

But dd doesn't test the networking. Maybe it will be slow for all services and something needs to be done with the network adapter driver. You didn't post the ethtool output. Are you sure the network adapter is connected at 10g?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!